Android users

Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Dh has a Samsung phone and oldest Dd has an android phone, it’s not Samsung but don’t remember the brand. Recently, Dh and Dd were talking to each other over their phones, both have noticed that after they talk to someone when they go to their browser, they will start getting ads related to something in the conversation. Not even something they’ve browsed. I don’t have this happen on any of my devices. Dh, Dd, and a few other Android users are starting to question if Google is “listening” as part of “personalized ads”. Has anyone else noticed this?

I don’t particularly like Google so don’t use any of their products. My gaming PC is windows everything else I have: watch, iPad, iPhone, and MacBook are well all Apple and I don’t experience this so idk if it’s something that’s freakishly coincidental or there’s validity in their observation. And idk if it makes a difference but none of those noticing this uses any listening smart assistants.
sarah824
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I have a Google phone and several Google home devices and I think they definitely "listen". DH has a Samsung phone and notices it between his phone and computer occasionally as well.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Of course they listen. It's actually outlined in all user agreements (which most people don't bother reading and just skim through) and you physically have to turn OFF the "personalized ad" feature. It's compounded even more if they use any voice to text app or services like Bixby, Alexa, Android Auto, etc. Pretty much any app that includes microphone access.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

sarah824 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:08 pm I have a Google phone and several Google home devices and I think they definitely "listen". DH has a Samsung phone and notices it between his phone and computer occasionally as well.
Interesting, I was wondering if they were being a little paranoid. But maybe not.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:19 pm Of course they listen. It's actually outlined in all user agreements (which most people don't bother reading and just skim through) and you physically have to turn OFF the "personalized ad" feature. It's compounded even more if they use any voice to text app or services like Bixby, Alexa, Android Auto, etc. Pretty much any app that includes microphone access.
That’s crazy. Every Apple product I have has asked on set up about privacy and such up front. I haven’t read googles user agreement in a very long time. Once upon a time I had a gmail account, it’s the only account I’ve ever had hacked, that’s when I stopped using anything Google.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

They all listen. Apple actually started it and Android picked it up later.
https://nordvpn.com/blog/is-my-phone-li ... %20iPhones.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:30 pm They all listen. Apple actually started it and Android picked it up later.
https://nordvpn.com/blog/is-my-phone-li ... %20iPhones.
I know Siri was the first modern virtual assistant, I was working for Apple when Siri was upgraded to hands free “listening” mode and have always had it turned off. I haven’t looked at dh’s phone settings but according to him he has it turned off and even has personalized ads turned off but yet that’s not how his phone is behaving. Wonder if toggling these would change it, maybe a glitch with an update that’s not recognizing the setting🤷🏼‍♀️
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I have a Motorola and I'll admit I don't actually talk on my phone very much. I haven't noticed what you are talking about but since I don't make calls very often that could be why.

But there is a "Hey Google" Assistant setting on the phone that they might want to double check that it's switched off if they don't use it. I just searced my settings for "voice" and found it that way.
RealisticBeauti
Villein
Villein

Unread post

Yup they listen. Even commercials are catered to whatever is going on in your household. I can watch CBS and my sister will be watching at the same time and we have different commercials.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic