Nebraska governor approves regulations to allow gender-affirming care for minors

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:14 am
Slimshandy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:07 am If it’s already the standard of care, seeing it in a bill shouldn’t be upsetting.
jessilin0113 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:29 pm

It already is the standard of care:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/f ... le/2805345

I wonder how many physicians are on the Nebraska Legislature...
It is the mandate imposed by the state that is objectionable. 40 hours of "therapy" will likely take a year, and at an average of $100 session $4000. Why? Where is the research done by state to determine this is needed, rather than the family deciding with the medical team that knows them best.
Nebraska has a lot of resources for people needing therapy who can’t pay for it… if anyone needs help and can’t afford it, they get it anyways.

She just said this is already the standard of care… so the medical professionals who created the standard of care is where I would go to if I was looking for the specific research that led them to this conclusion.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:18 pm
BionicBunny wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:20 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:00 pm

You have to do more hours of practice driving with a parent to get a driver’s license…

40 hours of therapy is less than an hour a week for a year…

I’ll even go farther than the transgender issue…
Kids should have to have that many hours of therapy before they get add/adhd meds too…
I think therapy is important for a lot of youth but I'm curious on why you think it should be required before getting ADHD meds? I think therapy and medication should go hand and hand with mental health issues like depression but ADHD meds help with focus. It affects learning and development.
Because taking steps to alter your brain chemistry isn’t something that should be taken lightly.
It comes with side effects, possible life long chemical changes, huge risk for medication abuse that can lead to death…

It shouldn’t be seen as run of the mill… it should be utilized only after cognitive behavioral therapy methods have been exhausted.
My son was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 4 and I was really hesitant to put him on meds. He was in multiple therapies until the age of 9 when his behavior therapist asked me point blank what was I waiting for? I immediately put him on meds and the change was amazing. I call those first five years "the lost years" and I deeply regret them.

Parents can opt for therapy instead of meds, meds instead of therapy, or a combination of the two. My personal preference would be meds in conjunction with therapy but I certainly wouldn't want my personal preference to deny another parent of the ability to make another choice. This applies specifically to ADHD meds.

There is a battery of testing - both psychological and medical as well as a 6 month period before a diagnosis of gender dysphoria. I believe that this team of professionals is more qualified to identify the needs of the child than a Chiropractor on the Nebraska legislature. I would equate it to a school requiring all students with an IEP receive 40 hours of a mandated specific therapy before implementing accommodations in the classroom.

And in the glorious US where we have to pay for healthcare, cost is a factor. Therapy sessions run $100 to $200 per hour. If you're lucky, you are insured and "only" have to pay the co-pay. Medicaid in Nebraska does not cover the cost of gender transitional care so the uninsured or those on Medicaid would have to foot the $4000-$8000 bill. Believe it or not, for many families, this is cost prohibitive. Add that cost to the fact that Nebraska is experiencing a crisis of lack of mental health professionals, it's not rocket science to see how this therapeutic mandate is causing a lack of access to transgender youth.

And as I posted above, we are talking about care that "In this prospective cohort of 104 TNB youths aged 13 to 20 years, receipt of gender-affirming care, including puberty blockers and gender-affirming hormones, was associated with 60% lower odds of moderate or severe depression and 73% lower odds of suicidality over a 12-month follow-up." It is literally life-saving. Comparing it to breast augmentation is disingenuous.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:28 am

I think therapy is important for a lot of youth but I'm curious on why you think it should be required before getting ADHD meds? I think therapy and medication should go hand and hand with mental health issues like depression but ADHD meds help with focus. It affects learning and development.
Because taking steps to alter your brain chemistry isn’t something that should be taken lightly.
It comes with side effects, possible life long chemical changes, huge risk for medication abuse that can lead to death…

It shouldn’t be seen as run of the mill… it should be utilized only after cognitive behavioral therapy methods have been exhausted.
My son was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 4 and I was really hesitant to put him on meds. He was in multiple therapies until the age of 9 when his behavior therapist asked me point blank what was I waiting for? I immediately put him on meds and the change was amazing. I call those first five years "the lost years" and I deeply regret them.

Parents can opt for therapy instead of meds, meds instead of therapy, or a combination of the two. My personal preference would be meds in conjunction with therapy but I certainly wouldn't want my personal preference to deny another parent of the ability to make another choice. This applies specifically to ADHD meds.

There is a battery of testing - both psychological and medical as well as a 6 month period before a diagnosis of gender dysphoria. I believe that this team of professionals is more qualified to identify the needs of the child than a Chiropractor on the Nebraska legislature. I would equate it to a school requiring all students with an IEP receive 40 hours of a mandated specific therapy before implementing accommodations in the classroom.

And in the glorious US where we have to pay for healthcare, cost is a factor. Therapy sessions run $100 to $200 per hour. If you're lucky, you are insured and "only" have to pay the co-pay. Medicaid in Nebraska does not cover the cost of gender transitional care so the uninsured or those on Medicaid would have to foot the $4000-$8000 bill. Believe it or not, for many families, this is cost prohibitive. Add that cost to the fact that Nebraska is experiencing a crisis of lack of mental health professionals, it's not rocket science to see how this therapeutic mandate is causing a lack of access to transgender youth.

And as I posted above, we are talking about care that "In this prospective cohort of 104 TNB youths aged 13 to 20 years, receipt of gender-affirming care, including puberty blockers and gender-affirming hormones, was associated with 60% lower odds of moderate or severe depression and 73% lower odds of suicidality over a 12-month follow-up." It is literally life-saving. Comparing it to breast augmentation is disingenuous.
As someone with a son who has ADD/ADHD, and has had an IEP since first grade… I’m well aware of what a child goes through with it…

I chose not to medicate him and instead keep him in CBT . I also made sure the school and every teacher he’s ever had are aware of this, and his IEP, and they are legally required to follow the IEP… meaning none of his years at school are “lost” they are modified to fit his specific needs.

He’s now in his last years of high school and has realized that his thought process is actually a strength… he has the ability to hyperfocus, which makes his ability to write code, create apps, and go as far as attempting to invent a new kind of camera is so much more than anyone he knows, including the robotics teachers at school. And if it happens that he gets a D+ in history, then so be it.., he’s not meant to be a history teacher. He’s meant to excel in the field of technology…

As a mother of a child who identified as transgender for two years, was put into therapy with a woman who is very much gender fluid herself and super supportive for the past four years, and now identifies as non-binary, I am also very aware of the importance of therapy and pinning down the reasons the child has want for that kind of change… immediately medicating should never even be discussed among the medical community or parents with children who are finding their identity.

If the decision is made to start hormonal therapy, you are right it can be helpful beyond words… but that still doesn’t mean it should be utilized before therapy. 6 months of therapy is what even the doctors who created the standard of care suggest.

If money is an issue, then work needs to be done in the state level to ensure mental health care availability for every resident. Which is actually the status quo at the moment if parents do not make enough to cover the cost. But money being an issue is not a good enough reason to disregard the importance of therapy.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:24 am
Slimshandy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:07 am If it’s already the standard of care, seeing it in a bill shouldn’t be upsetting.
It is the mandate imposed by the state that is objectionable. 40 hours of "therapy" will likely take a year, and at an average of $100 session $4000. Why? Where is the research done by state to determine this is needed, rather than the family deciding with the medical team that knows them best.
Nebraska has a lot of resources for people needing therapy who can’t pay for it… if anyone needs help and can’t afford it, they get it anyways.

She just said this is already the standard of care… so the medical professionals who created the standard of care is where I would go to if I was looking for the specific research that led them to this conclusion.
I don't know who "she" is that you are referring to, and I don't see anything in the post you made that says medical professionals set these standards. But I did see that the state of Nebraska is expressly forbidding any financial assistance for any of this treatment the state requires.

Sec. 19. State funds shall not be directly or indirectly used, granted, paid, or distributed to any entity, organization, or individual for providing gender-altering procedures to an individual younger than nineteen years of age in violation of the Let Them Grow Act and the rules and regulations adopted and promulgated pursuant to the act.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:23 pm

I don't know who "she" is that you are referring to, and I don't see anything in the post you made that says medical professionals set these standards. But I did see that the state of Nebraska is expressly forbidding any financial assistance for any of this treatment the state requires.

Sec. 19. State funds shall not be directly or indirectly used, granted, paid, or distributed to any entity, organization, or individual for providing gender-altering procedures to an individual younger than nineteen years of age in violation of the Let Them Grow Act and the rules and regulations adopted and promulgated pursuant to the act.

That’s not what therapists do.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:03 pm
MonarchMom wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:23 pm

That’s not what therapists do.
I believe the sections stating "directly or indirectly used" is going to exclude this therapy from coverage.

Again, why should state legislatures be involved in any way in determining the medical protocol for families making decisions? Here is a quote form the Nebraska Governor regarding his motives for this law:
The state Department of Health and Human Services announcement that Republican Gov. Jim Pillen had approved the emergency regulations.... During the signing ceremony for the new Nebraska law, Pillen suggested that children and their parents who seek gender-affirming treatment are being “duped,” adding, “that is absolutely Lucifer at its finest.” The state’s chief medical officer, Dr. Timothy Tesmer, is a Pillen appointee.
https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-pol ... rcna118422
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I know your children are adults now so a diagnosis then of ADHD at age 4 was some time ago. My son is 11. When he was about to turn 4 and half way into being 5, he presented as ADHD. We took him to a developmental pediatrician for a consult. She advised that the standard of practice is to consider medication and a formal diagnosis no earlier than age 6. I am not in anyway saying your son would not have benefitted from medication at the tender age of 4. What I am offering is support and understanding as a mom that we feel we should’ve could’ve ____. Being cautious and conservative in regard to putting your child on medication is nothing to feel guilty about, IMO. At age 9 based on the evidence before you, you decided to place him on medication. Nothing wrong with that.
In regard to our son, the summer after he turned 6, I kid you not, he self regulated for lack of a better description.

Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

"State Sen. John Fredrickson of Omaha said the delegation could lead to a “backdoor” ban on transition medications for transgender minors.

Pillen did not specify what guidance he would give interim chief medical officer Dr. Timothy Tesmer, whose confirmation hearing is this week. However, Pillen noted he has known Tesmer for a long time.

“He knows Nebraska,” Pillen said of Tesmer. “He understands that his job is to carry out the law that has been signed in, and that’s what we expect him to do.”

Tesmer served as chair of the State Board of Health in March when it issued a statement in support of an unamended version of LB 574 that included a full ban on the medications for minors."

https://nebraskaexaminer.com/2023/05/22 ... -into-law/
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:08 am

As someone with a son who has ADD/ADHD, and has had an IEP since first grade… I’m well aware of what a child goes through with it…

I chose not to medicate him and instead keep him in CBT . I also made sure the school and every teacher he’s ever had are aware of this, and his IEP, and they are legally required to follow the IEP… meaning none of his years at school are “lost” they are modified to fit his specific needs.

He’s now in his last years of high school and has realized that his thought process is actually a strength… he has the ability to hyperfocus, which makes his ability to write code, create apps, and go as far as attempting to invent a new kind of camera is so much more than anyone he knows, including the robotics teachers at school. And if it happens that he gets a D+ in history, then so be it.., he’s not meant to be a history teacher. He’s meant to excel in the field of technology…

As a mother of a child who identified as transgender for two years, was put into therapy with a woman who is very much gender fluid herself and super supportive for the past four years, and now identifies as non-binary, I am also very aware of the importance of therapy and pinning down the reasons the child has want for that kind of change… immediately medicating should never even be discussed among the medical community or parents with children who are finding their identity.

If the decision is made to start hormonal therapy, you are right it can be helpful beyond words… but that still doesn’t mean it should be utilized before therapy. 6 months of therapy is what even the doctors who created the standard of care suggest.

If money is an issue, then work needs to be done in the state level to ensure mental health care availability for every resident. Which is actually the status quo at the moment if parents do not make enough to cover the cost. But money being an issue is not a good enough reason to disregard the importance of therapy.
I'm glad that therapy was a good choice for your son and that he was able to meet his educational goals. I'm glad that medication relieved my son's crippling anxiety and depression and enabled him to thrive. It just goes to show that there just isn't a one size fits all when it comes to treatment for ADHD.

A diagnosis of gender dysphoria requires an evaluation across multiple disciplines as it should. Symptoms of gender dysphoria must be exhibited for at least 6 months, as they should. Various therapies are recommended/required depending on each individual child, as they should. The state of Nebraska is now implementing rules that a specific type of therapy be required for a minimum of 40 sessions. Again, IMO, this is excessive. What was "broken" that the state needed to "fix"?

Money is an issue, at least in Nebraska who has decided that mental health care of children with gender dysphoria should not be covered. They are mandating hours of a specific therapy (whether determined that a child needs it or not) and stating that state funds are not going to pay for that therapy. That pisses me off. I don't say that because I dislike the idea of therapy - all three members of my family have been and currently are in therapy to address a variety of issues. I say this as someone who has always been free to choose the type of therapy that my child needs with advice from his "team" rather than having it dictated by the state.

For example, if my son were currently in the state of Nebraska, was diagnosed with gender dysphoria, and suffered from anxiety, it"s most likely that his team would recommend specific therapy to deal with anxiety. That would be appropriate. However, in Nebraska, treatment of anxiety due to gender dysphoria must be secondary to "gender-identity-focused" therapy so would not necessarily "count" toward the 40 hour requirement. Again, IMO, requiring therapists to determine how much time to spend on specific aspects of therapy is not good care nor is it individualized care which is what all children need, even those with gender dysphoria. Frankly, I believe that Nebraska has implemented this specialized therapy so that they don't have to pay. If my child were seeking therapy specifically for anxiety, regardless of the reasons, Nebraska medicaid would pay for it if I had no coverage or my insurance didn't pay. But if I'm seeking gender-identity-focused therapy, even if care for anxiety is included in that therapy, Nebraska won't pay. Leave it to the right to be calculating, and while framed as best interest of the child, it's not. It's in the best financial interest of Nebraska and screw the child, their parents, and their therapists simply because they are seen as being uugy.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

cgd5112 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:26 pm I know your children are adults now so a diagnosis then of ADHD at age 4 was some time ago. My son is 11. When he was about to turn 4 and half way into being 5, he presented as ADHD. We took him to a developmental pediatrician for a consult. She advised that the standard of practice is to consider medication and a formal diagnosis no earlier than age 6. I am not in anyway saying your son would not have benefitted from medication at the tender age of 4. What I am offering is support and understanding as a mom that we feel we should’ve could’ve ____. Being cautious and conservative in regard to putting your child on medication is nothing to feel guilty about, IMO. At age 9 based on the evidence before you, you decided to place him on medication. Nothing wrong with that.
In regard to our son, the summer after he turned 6, I kid you not, he self regulated for lack of a better description.

Thank you for that! My son was initially evaluated at Kennedy Krieger at the age of 4. At that time, medication was recommended but he had a whole host of issues related to ASD so intensive therapy - OT, speech, behavior, ABA were all recommended. Living overseas, we did the best we could with the therapies, I even stayed in US with the kids for a tour so he could receive therapies in person. Almost every therapist recommended that he be evaluated for ADHD and if appropriate, medication should be given. I balked as in general, I'm not a med gal, lol. It wasn't until a very trusted Behavior Therapist evaluated him and said we had exhausted therapy AND since he was entering puberty his anxiety and depression were emergent that I finally gave in. Meds for him were an almost instantaneous turn around for the positive so yeah, I feel guilt. But I know that I was working with the best intentions and with the best information I had at the time.

What I find interesting is that two years ago, my high achiever/performing daughter was diagnosed by her primary with ADHD and she immediately was put on meds. She's still a high achiever/performing adult but no longer has thoughts or suicide or anxiety that she had previously, unbeknown to me, throughout her childhood. Knowing that ADHD runs in families, I wish we had had her tested early. Perhaps with her, she would have benefitted from therapy rather than meds if it had been caught early.

Thanks again for the reassurance because it does mean a lot. I do think that my son may have had successes dealing with the ADHD therapeutically if he didn't have ASD but I'm not sure. I'm just thrilled he's successfully navigating now with what is available to us.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic