Do you see any validity in this woman’s poem? Or is she missing the mark on how to be inclusive?

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:46 pm
MonarchMom wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:38 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:29 pm

The word compliment is dehumanizing?
In the sense of "Complementarianism" as defining the role of women to be the "compliment" to a husband, who has the role of "head" and leader in a family. In this view the woman is a "compliment" to the husband, but not a fully realized and autonomous being.
I guess I haven’t heard it used like that other than movies in the 50’s or super religious people..

But do you think that’s along the same lines as a woman being called a pregnant woman? As far as I know, most pregnant women didn’t have a problem being called a pregnant woman. Although some are feeling dehumanized by being called Breeders.
Not sure what you are saying. I'm sure the context would be the salient issue. Did a doctor call them "pregnant woman" or "breeder" - that might be a problem. Did someone in conversation use these terms? Possibly rude but to each their own.

If you don't want to be called a term, then say so. No one can control what other people think or say.

I fail to see what rights have been taken, or how anyone has been "defined" and harmed by these words. Seems like a manufactured outrage to me, kind of on par with "fur babies" being seen as redefining human children.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:29 pm

The word compliment is dehumanizing?
In the sense of "Complementarianism" as defining the role of women to be the "compliment" to a husband, who has the role of "head" and leader in a family. In this view the woman is a "compliment" to the husband, but not a fully realized and autonomous being.
I guess I haven’t heard it used like that other than movies in the 50’s or super religious people..

But do you think that’s along the same lines as a woman being called a pregnant woman? As far as I know, most pregnant women didn’t have a problem being called a pregnant woman. Although some are feeling dehumanized by being called Breeders.
As a woman, I would take offense if an individual referred to me as a “breeder”. I take more offense at a political party treating me as one without actually using the word.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:41 pm And what rights are being "obliterated"?
Actual reproductive rights ARE being obliterated, and not by people who want more inclusive language.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:54 pm

Not sure what you are saying. I'm sure the context would be the salient issue. Did a doctor call them "pregnant woman" or "breeder" - that might be a problem. Did someone in conversation use these terms? Possibly rude but to each their own.

If you don't want to be called a term, then say so. No one can control what other people think or say.

I fail to see what rights have been taken, or how anyone has been "defined" and harmed by these words. Seems like a manufactured outrage to me, kind of on par with "fur babies" being seen as redefining human children.
https://thehill.com/changing-america/re ... -like/amp/

“Removing references to the S*x of mothers could also reduce visibility of women in medical research and potentially threaten their autonomy, according to the paper.”

“Desexing the language of female reproduction has been done with a view to being sensitive to individual needs and as beneficial, kind, and inclusive,” the authors write. “Yet, this kindness has delivered unintended consequences that have serious implications for women and children.”

Those consequences include “dehumanizing” mothers, the authors argue, because alternative, gender-inclusive terms typically involve body parts or physiological processes, like “lactating parents” in place of “breastfeeding.”

“Referring to individuals in this reduced, mechanistic way is commonly perceived as ‘othering’ and dehumanizing,”
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:10 pm
jessilin0113 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:41 pm And what rights are being "obliterated"?
Actual reproductive rights ARE being obliterated, and not by people who want more inclusive language.
I think it’s ok to be against redefining women and for reproductive rights.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:17 pm
MonarchMom wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:54 pm Not sure what you are saying. I'm sure the context would be the salient issue. Did a doctor call them "pregnant woman" or "breeder" - that might be a problem. Did someone in conversation use these terms? Possibly rude but to each their own.

“Removing references to the S*x of mothers could also reduce visibility of women in medical research and potentially threaten their autonomy, according to the paper.”

“Desexing the language of female reproduction has been done with a view to being sensitive to individual needs and as beneficial, kind, and inclusive,” the authors write. “Yet, this kindness has delivered unintended consequences that have serious implications for women and children.”

Those consequences include “dehumanizing” mothers, the authors argue, because alternative, gender-inclusive terms typically involve body parts or physiological processes, like “lactating parents” in place of “breastfeeding.”

“Referring to individuals in this reduced, mechanistic way is commonly perceived as ‘othering’ and dehumanizing,”
Like I said earlier - context is crucial. In medical clinical settings, or research, a different standard would apply.

But what you presented in your thread seems meant to convey an actual pregnant woman (the graphic) speaking for herself to someone on social who uses these terms. Very different.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:30 pm
MonarchMom wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:54 pm Not sure what you are saying. I'm sure the context would be the salient issue. Did a doctor call them "pregnant woman" or "breeder" - that might be a problem. Did someone in conversation use these terms? Possibly rude but to each their own.

Like I said earlier - context is crucial. In medical clinical settings, or research, a different standard would apply.

But what you presented in your thread seems meant to convey an actual pregnant woman (the graphic) speaking for herself to someone on social who uses these terms. Very different.
What if it’s from the perspective of a pregnant woman who has been experiencing this change in terminology at her local hospital when she receives prenatal care?
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:45 pm
MonarchMom wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:30 pm

What if it’s from the perspective of a pregnant woman who has been experiencing this change in terminology at her local hospital when she receives prenatal care?
Which of the many terms are your talking about? "Breeder" is reductionist and would (to me) always be insulting when applied to a person. "Pregnant person" might be an accurate term depending on who is pregnant, as would "surrogate" or "gestational carrier." I don't remember all the other terms in the poem.
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:21 pm
SallyMae wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:10 pm
I think it’s ok to be against redefining women and for reproductive rights.
Sure, but it's wrong to claim that people are losing rights because of this language when they are really, actually losing rights because of the authoritarians who are against this language.
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:54 pm

I remember a lot of really similar fearmongering about how same S*x marriage was going to damage traditional marriage. In fact, I recall a lot of handwringing about having to change words like policeman, chairman, postman. Some people really thought it was too much to ask of society to make that kind of change. But, it wasn't. Nobody lost rights, and many people gained them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic