Donald Trump's Losing White Evangelicals to Joe Biden

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Della wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:46 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:43 pm
mommy_jules wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:35 pm

I realize that this post is about white evangelicals. I asked because you wrote the highlighted portion. It’s confusing. Were we/you suddenly talking about a different group? Was one of the hypothetical people from West Hollywood or Alabama a different race/ethnicity, because that does change things as well. Also, I’m very much aware of the different beliefs and denominations of evangelicals (I stated as much in my post to OP), and that is precisely why I asked if the Presbyterians were from the same denomination.
The white ones means the white people… the white evangelicals.

I did make a distinction because not all Presbyterians are white.

Yes, the Presbyterians in my example are the same denominations. I’ve attended Presbyterian churches in both states, the people in both churches have different priorities.
How so?
One big difference in their priorities when voting is environmental protection.

In places like California, the environmental protection laws are extremely needed. The land would be ravaged without them and the air would be unbreathable. The animals live in filth and need people to stick up for them.

In places like Arkansas, many of those laws only hinder businesses that are typically much smaller (business wise, not land holdings) than farms in California, the animals can be grazing on open fields of grass instead of kept in small cages and fed only hay. The air is clean because there aren’t the same amount of humans grouped together in the same square mile, there isn’t an overflow of trash because there isn’t the same amount of people making the trash…

So in Arkansas, regardless of being a white evangelical, they don’t vote for more environmental protections, they vote for less.
In California, regardless of being a white evangelical, they vote for more environmental protections that are sometimes federally aimed.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:37 am

Yes, the Presbyterians in my example are the same denominations. I’ve attended Presbyterian churches in both states, the people in both churches have different priorities.
How so?

In places like California, the environmental protection laws are extremely needed. The land would be ravaged without them and the air would be unbreathable. The animals live in filth and need people to stick up for them.

In places like Arkansas, many of those laws only hinder businesses that are typically much smaller (business wise, not land holdings) than farms in California, the animals can be grazing on open fields of grass instead of kept in small cages and fed only hay. The air is clean because there aren’t the same amount of humans grouped together in the same square mile, there isn’t an overflow of trash because there isn’t the same amount of people making the trash…

So in Arkansas, regardless of being a white evangelical, they don’t vote for more environmental protections, they vote for less.
In California, regardless of being a white evangelical, they vote for more environmental protections that are sometimes federally aimed.
So, not a fundamentalist, but a moderate or progressive evangelical.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:55 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:23 pm
mommy_jules wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:55 pm

The PCUSA is not evangelical. Having an article explaining what evangelicals are does not make one an evangelical.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/conservative ... ral-battle

?
It’s an article posted by PCUSA, that goes over why their Protestant beliefs are evangelical.

You posted a Fox News report.
From the article you posted:

"Technically, all Christians are, according to the Religion Newswriters Association’s Religion Stylebook. The word comes from the Greek “evangelion,” which means “good news” or “gospel.” And all who claim to follow Jesus Christ feel obligated to share his gospel.

But the term “evangelical” has come to refer mostly to a type of Protestant, explains Pastor Corey Hodges of New Pilgrim Baptist Church in Kearns, Utah who believe:

In the Trinity;

that the Bible alone is the inerrant and infallible word of God;
that salvation is by grace alone through faith and not accomplished by human effort or achievement; and
that Jesus Christ is God in the flesh, and his death and resurrection were the payment for human sin."

PSUSA: Presbyterians have always had a very strong doctrine of biblical authority, but historically most have shied away from calling that doctrine inerrancy.

in my understanding that inerrancy of the Bible is what distinguishes PSUSA as non-Evangelical. Of course, I could be wrong as I'm not Presbyterian but I assume that mommy_jules who is knows what she's talking about and could clarify for you?
Actually I’m not a Presbyterian, I’ll just call myself a Baptist for now. However, most academics, institutions, etc. consider the PCUSA mainline. The distinctions aren’t hard and fast, and that’s why you get so many questions/arguments like this. Most scholars use Beddington’s Quadrilateral to define evangelical churches.
Pollsters such as PRRI and others often apply a broad brush, using “white mainline Protestant” to describe people who identify as white, non-Hispanic and Protestant, but who do not consider themselves evangelical or “born-again.”
The moniker has taken on a more precise meaning in common parlance, although its origins are somewhat murky: Some believe it originates from Philadelphia suburbs known as the “Pennsylvania Railroad Main Line” that were historically home to primarily white, wealthy churches. Regardless of the title’s source, mainline Protestants are most often associated with an array of older Protestant denominations, such as the United Methodist Church, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, Presbyterian Church (USA), Episcopal Church, Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and United Church of Christ, among others.
https://religionnews.com/2021/07/08/wha ... an-anyway/

https://www.nae.org/what-is-an-evangelical/
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

mommy_jules wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:40 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:23 pm

?
It’s an article posted by PCUSA, that goes over why their Protestant beliefs are evangelical.

You posted a Fox News report.

"Technically, all Christians are, according to the Religion Newswriters Association’s Religion Stylebook. The word comes from the Greek “evangelion,” which means “good news” or “gospel.” And all who claim to follow Jesus Christ feel obligated to share his gospel.

But the term “evangelical” has come to refer mostly to a type of Protestant, explains Pastor Corey Hodges of New Pilgrim Baptist Church in Kearns, Utah who believe:

In the Trinity;

that salvation is by grace alone through faith and not accomplished by human effort or achievement; and
that Jesus Christ is God in the flesh, and his death and resurrection were the payment for human sin."

PSUSA: Presbyterians have always had a very strong doctrine of biblical authority, but historically most have shied away from calling that doctrine inerrancy.

in my understanding that inerrancy of the Bible is what distinguishes PSUSA as non-Evangelical. Of course, I could be wrong as I'm not Presbyterian but I assume that mommy_jules who is knows what she's talking about and could clarify for you?
Actually I’m not a Presbyterian, I’ll just call myself a Baptist for now. However, most academics, institutions, etc. consider the PCUSA mainline. The distinctions aren’t hard and fast, and that’s why you get so many questions/arguments like this. Most scholars use Beddington’s Quadrilateral to define evangelical churches.
Pollsters such as PRRI and others often apply a broad brush, using “white mainline Protestant” to describe people who identify as white, non-Hispanic and Protestant, but who do not consider themselves evangelical or “born-again.”
The moniker has taken on a more precise meaning in common parlance, although its origins are somewhat murky: Some believe it originates from Philadelphia suburbs known as the “Pennsylvania Railroad Main Line” that were historically home to primarily white, wealthy churches. Regardless of the title’s source, mainline Protestants are most often associated with an array of older Protestant denominations, such as the United Methodist Church, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, Presbyterian Church (USA), Episcopal Church, Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and United Church of Christ, among others.

I apologize!

As a lay person, it really can be confusing and not just about Presbyterians but Methodists too!
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:04 pm
mommy_jules wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:40 pm

In the Trinity;

I apologize!

As a lay person, it really can be confusing and not just about Presbyterians but Methodists too!
It’s not a problem. It is all confusing. There are so many denominations, and then they are broken down even further. They all also have liberal and conservative branches. I found this video helpful:

SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:27 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:04 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:22 pm

No, they just call themselves Trump supporters😂

In my neck of the woods, I remember when newcomers were asked "where they churched". It evolved into "are you Republican or Democrat". Now it's "Do you support Trump". Since 2016, every demonstration (and goodness we have lots) ranging from flaggers on the courthouse lawn to pro-lifers in the town park to anti-LGBTQ demos at our local school have been framed around "true Christian" and "Trump supporter".

In real life, I've seen a lot of people lay low with their religious affiliation and keep it personal. Many of our community members who are associated with an evangelical church are doing this. At the same time, I've seen a lot of people who previously held no religious affiliation, proudly proclaim their Christian evangelicalism as a reason behind their protest. Many of these people are not associated with a church.

I'm not saying that they aren't Christian or Christian Evangelicals. I don't think anyone has the authority to proclaim what is in another persons' heart. I'm just saying that many in my community who are proclaiming their evangelicalism didn't do so before Trump and many who did are no longer proclaiming it. I'm not sure if that makes sense, lol.

No makes perfect sense. That’s why I am asking y’all questions because I never heard of half of this stuff until Trump came along and I don’t have a lot of experience with predominantly white churches.
I have almost 60 years of "churchin'"!

I remember growing up every year was the "homecoming" service where most of the churches in my small town would gather together and have an all day service. Honestly, i hated the service (it was HOURS long) but gosh I loved the food! Currently, our minister is not allowed to sit at the table during the monthly Ecumenical meeting of community church leaders all because she's a woman and because the Episcopal church is seen as "the gay church" <sigh>.

Our Black evangelical church has been nothing but welcoming to me and my family (we're neighbors). Sure, my daughter got a side-eye from some of the women of the church when she introduced her "partner", lol. I'm not sure I would feel welcome in our local white evangelical churches despite having friends who I love who are white evangelicals.

I know I'm rambling but bottom line for me is that I've never seen such a division politically AND religiously in the US nor have I ever seen such a connection between religion and politics and it's really frightening to me. It used to be that a difference of beliefs would get you a side-eye from the church women. Now it's getting you threats and not just those of eternal damnation.
Oh my god. ME NEITHER. I was raised that nobody gets praised in church but God. They didn't even like other churches letting politicians come speak to the congregation during election time to get votes. I was shocked when I saw a local church choir singing MAGA and the pastor was obsessed with Trump. Everyone has different beliefs, but it has gotten to a dangerous extreme IMHO.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:22 am
SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:56 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:29 pm

They're the ones with the "God, guns, country" on their pick-em-up truck.
And those dangling truck nuts? 🤮🤮🤮

😂😂😂
In my neck of the woods, add a "Honk for Jesus" bumper sticker next to "Let's Go Brandon". Somewhere there will be a flag and a Trump banner.

I haven't seen truck nuts for awhile! I almost miss them 😂
Those truck nuts were soooooooo gross to me, I couldn't stand looking at them in traffic. Sooo ugly. LOL!
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

How so?

Those chickens sure do need the wide open spaces and clean Arkansas air😂😂
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:05 pm

How so?

I’m not even sure what the joke is here…
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:05 pm

How so?

I’m sure those mega houses provide all that for them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic