Service dogs

Anonymous 4

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:39 am No. A service dog is medical equipment. My sister had a service dog and did not need anyone coming up to her demanding that she prove her disability when it’s not of their business. It would not be socially acceptable to make someone prove that they need their wheelchair, which can also be used to inconvenience and harm others if not used properly, same with a service dog.

There are already laws in place to prevent situations like this, people just need to be better educated on them. A person using a service dog must legally remain in control of their dog. There is a list of behaviors a service dog must be presenting in order to remain in the store. A service dog is not permitted to bark at others, snap at others, or show any other aggressive behavior, they are not permitted in carts, and the store employees should have had them removed. Keep in mind though that whining and barking is sometimes how a dog is trained to alert of a medical need. Barking at others is not permitted.
If she's in a public place and dogs normally aren't allowed, it becomes people's business.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

carterscutie85 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:43 pm If a dog is misbehaving, such as using the bathroom on the floor, snarling or biting people, then an associate is allowed to ask for proof that it is indeed a service dog. That's the rule where I live anyways.

I don't mind dogs in stores as long as they behave.
Ugh, I work at a post office and people bring their dogs in all the time. One lady brought in two while picking up her mail. Neither were leashed and she was just letting them run free and a coworker told her to get them out of there and she's like, "I will - as soon as I get my mail!" A Real B.

Another brought theirs in and it peed all over the floor. Keep your untamed pets at home.
Sanctimommy
Peon

Unread post

i love my dogs. but they don't belong in public spaces. i barely belong in public spaces.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:46 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:39 am No. A service dog is medical equipment. My sister had a service dog and did not need anyone coming up to her demanding that she prove her disability when it’s not of their business. It would not be socially acceptable to make someone prove that they need their wheelchair, which can also be used to inconvenience and harm others if not used properly, same with a service dog.

There are already laws in place to prevent situations like this, people just need to be better educated on them. A person using a service dog must legally remain in control of their dog. There is a list of behaviors a service dog must be presenting in order to remain in the store. A service dog is not permitted to bark at others, snap at others, or show any other aggressive behavior, they are not permitted in carts, and the store employees should have had them removed. Keep in mind though that whining and barking is sometimes how a dog is trained to alert of a medical need. Barking at others is not permitted.
If she's in a public place and dogs normally aren't allowed, it becomes people's business.
No, it isn’t. The dog is legally allowed in the store. The actual employees of the store can ask if the dog is a service dog and as long as the dog is behaving to the legal standards, it’s no one’s business to demand that they prove their disability.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:38 am
Anonymous 4 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:46 pm

No, it isn’t. The dog is legally allowed in the store. The actual employees of the store can ask if the dog is a service dog and as long as the dog is behaving to the legal standards, it’s no one’s business to demand that they prove their disability.
Actual service dogs are allowed in stores. These amount of imposters is insane and is only going to make things more difficult for those who actually have and need a trained service dog.
They don't have to prove their disability they just need something showing they qualify for and have a service dog. It doesn't have to say what the disability is or be difficult for them to obtain. Sadly people can't be responsible enough to say hey I don't have a service dog my dog doesn't belong here and I would hate to see them ruin things for people who actually need it.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

mater-three wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:34 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:45 am

You never know why someone needs a service dog.
I don’t have TikTok and I don’t want to download it just to read the caption. What does she have please?
She has POTS awareness on her profile, so I assume POTS…postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/d ... drome-pots
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Let's be clear... The issue is not Service dogs. The issue is people who think the rules do not apply to them and will bring in their untrained animal and falsely claim that it is a service animal or "emotional support" animal into the stores. They will even go so far as to buy service vests for their animals to further perpetuate the scam. Unfortunately this sort of thing will continue to happen unless businesses start exercising their rights and confronting people with dogs that misbehave. The same applies for people walking their dogs without leashes in areas that require them. It is time for people to be called out on their bullshit.
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

If someone claims service dog, fine. If said service dog is behaving badly a store can ask the person and dog to leave because of the animals behavior. At no point do they need to question anything. Service dogs must behave, service dogs do behave.

Oh and most states do not protect emotion support dogs. They do not fall under the ADA for businesses. It’s a little trickier with housing.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:12 am Let's be clear... The issue is not Service dogs. The issue is people who think the rules do not apply to them and will bring in their untrained animal and falsely claim that it is a service animal or "emotional support" animal into the stores. They will even go so far as to buy service vests for their animals to further perpetuate the scam. Unfortunately this sort of thing will continue to happen unless businesses start exercising their rights and confronting people with dogs that misbehave. The same applies for people walking their dogs without leashes in areas that require them. It is time for people to be called out on their bullshit.
Exactly. My DD and I were at a coffee shop when a man who was visually impaired came in with a service dog. The dog was very well trained and well behaved, as it was a trained service dog. He sat at a table by us and the dog laid down under the table out of the way of everyone, and never moved. A little bit later this lady walks in with a dog in a "service" vest that is on a retractable leash. This dog makes a complete bee line to the other dog and starts barking and jumping on him. The man tells the lady to get her dog away from his and to control her so called service dog.

I have a certified therapy dog, who goes to hospitals and nursing homes. He is NOT a service dog and as a result he is NOT allowed in business. He is very well trained but that is not the point he is still not allowed in to these places and I would never bring him in.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:35 pm
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:18 pm
Anonymous 3 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:22 am We live in a dog loving society. They’re our best friends, our babies and they help us live better. Try enjoying the sound of barking.
Bullshit. Roughly half of society loves dogs. The other half doesn't.

As human beings we have certain behaviors that are considered acceptable when we are out in society, and certain other behaviors that are considered unacceptable. No reason we can't do the same to dogs. If your (general) dog can't adhere to acceptable behavior then leave it the f**k at home. We ask kids to be removed if they are having a screaming and crying fit and can't be calmed. We should absolutely ask the same things of dogs that won't shut up.

Just because dogs are a part of our society doesn't mean there aren't behavior standards to adhere to, and it doesn't mean there aren't places that they just should NOT be allowed.
You shouldn’t ask that of kids either. It’s not a baby’s fault if it cries.
It's not asking anything of the kid, it's asking everything of the adult that is accompanying the kid. The kid doesn't know any better but the adult does, just like the dog doesn't know any better but the owner does. If the kid/dog can't appropriately behave, then the adult/owner needs to do the right thing and remove them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic