Louisiana governor declares state of emergency due to police shortage

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

BATON ROUGE, La. -- Louisiana GOP Gov. Jeff Landry has declared a state of emergency due to a police officer shortage.

Landry's executive order issued Thursday lifts limits on how many new employees Louisiana sheriffs can hire and on payroll increases for their departments.

Landry, who previously had a career in law enforcement, said that police departments in the state are experiencing record-low employments “resulting in increased crime and less public safety.” As of July, sheriff's offices statewide were down 1,800 deputies, Landry said.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/lou ... -107305126
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

The crime rate has been drastically increasing for a while and cases are incredibly difficult to solve …..that is probably what caused the shortage.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I'm surprised he's not calling for the state national guard.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:34 pm The crime rate has been drastically increasing for a while and cases are incredibly difficult to solve …..that is probably what caused the shortage.
I don't know specifically about Louisiana, but police recruiting is down nationwide while retirement is up. I also don't know the reason but wonder if reasons are similar to same reasons that military recruitment is dramatically down?

I think (don't know) that with unemployment low, young people are looking at careers outside of policing and military and frankly, I can't blame them.

Basically, I don't have a clue just thoughts, lol.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Louisiana: desperate to hire new cops. Louisiana: stricter measures that will reduce parole and increase the number of juveniles tried as adults. Louisiana, profiting off of prison labor (legal slavery).

I'm connecting the dots...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... eff-landry

https://www.reuters.com/legal/governmen ... 023-02-01/
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:15 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:34 pm The crime rate has been drastically increasing for a while and cases are incredibly difficult to solve …..that is probably what caused the shortage.
I don't know specifically about Louisiana, but police recruiting is down nationwide while retirement is up. I also don't know the reason but wonder if reasons are similar to same reasons that military recruitment is dramatically down?

I think (don't know) that with unemployment low, young people are looking at careers outside of policing and military and frankly, I can't blame them.

I am pretty anti-cop TBH because I've had bad experiences, but I do feel bad for the good ones in this political climate. Maybe I watch too many body cam videos on Youtube but the pay is not worth some of the shit they have to put up with. I can see why there is turn over because getting lumped in the same category has to suck.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:49 pm

I am pretty anti-cop TBH because I've had bad experiences, but I do feel bad for the good ones in this political climate. Maybe I watch too many body cam videos on Youtube but the pay is not worth some of the shit they have to put up with. I can see why there is turn over because getting lumped in the same category has to suck.
I'm not anti or pro in most respects. I've had great interactions with our local police force, enough so that I deliver leftovers fairly regularly, lol. At the same time, I know some people who have had piss-poor interactions and I believe them. Our dinky town, like a lot of small towns, is losing our police force and policing is being passed on to county sheriff. Both local and county are having a heck of time staffing. Our fire department is volunteer and we're never short-staffed but other municipalities with professional fire fighters are. I think young people are choosing not to enter service jobs in general especially when you compare salaries with other professions. Used to be in our county that the highest paid employees were teachers and police. Now in my county, my daughter makes more serving beer!
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:13 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:49 pm

I'm not anti or pro in most respects. I've had great interactions with our local police force, enough so that I deliver leftovers fairly regularly, lol. At the same time, I know some people who have had piss-poor interactions and I believe them. Our dinky town, like a lot of small towns, is losing our police force and policing is being passed on to county sheriff. Both local and county are having a heck of time staffing. Our fire department is volunteer and we're never short-staffed but other municipalities with professional fire fighters are. I think young people are choosing not to enter service jobs in general especially when you compare salaries with other professions. Used to be in our county that the highest paid employees were teachers and police. Now in my county, my daughter makes more serving beer!
Police in Mississippi were so horrible, I still get anxious when I see a police car and I still drive overly cautious sometimes. Only ones I have ever felt comfortable around were the ones that I know personally or the ones who actually engage with the community.

It’s gotten slightly better since I moved and I don’t mistreat anyone who didn’t give me a reason too but I’m not neutral on law enforcement yet. I’d prefer not to be around them if I can help it. lol
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Have you listened to what police say the reasons are?
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:03 am

Have you listened to what police say the reasons are?
In my town or Louisiana?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic