Spin off- My kids are learning in school that stereotypes based on race are bad.

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:20 am
Della wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:18 am
Slimshandy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:15 am

That’s not what it means.
What does it mean to you; how do you personally define being woke?
I edited my reply because true, maybe that is what means to you. See the above link to have a better understanding of what it may mean to multiple viewpoints.
That's a non answer, but using the info in your link, which best describes your view point?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Della wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:21 pm
Della wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:18 am

What does it mean to you; how do you personally define being woke?
I edited my reply because true, maybe that is what means to you. See the above link to have a better understanding of what it may mean to multiple viewpoints.
That's a non answer, but using the info in your link, which best describes your view point?
What does it matter? This is a post about positive stereotypes and whether they’re ok or not.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:29 pm

What does it matter? This is a post about positive stereotypes and whether they’re ok or not.
Ok, but you're the one who said that's not what it means.
306/232

Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Della wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:38 pm

Fair enough, being woke doesn’t mean “being nice to people “ to me.

What do you think about the post itself?
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:58 am
Della wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:51 am Isn't teaching about stereotypes like teaching CRT?
I think this is more along the lines of “How to be nice to everyone “.
So DEI. Diversity Equity and Inclusion. You know....one of those scary woke liberal agendas
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I agree that "positive" stereotypes reinforce the idea that certain traits and behaviors are inherent to people's biology and ancestry.

We can learn about cultures, religions, food traditions, social organizations and more (Social-cultural Anthropology) without teaching that people are determined by their genetics.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:45 pm
Della wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:51 am Isn't teaching about stereotypes like teaching CRT?
So DEI. Diversity Equity and Inclusion. You know....one of those scary woke liberal agendas
Yeah… no.

Sometimes there are specific political agendas attached to a topic, and sometime teachers talk about how to be nice to everyone…

I totally see them as two separate things.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:52 pm
Baconqueen13 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:45 pm

Yeah… no.

Sometimes there are specific political agendas attached to a topic, and sometime teachers talk about how to be nice to everyone…

I totally see them as two separate things.
Well you're wrong but that's not surprising.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

100% agree, and it’s crazy to me that in 2024 that’s still a debated topic. Even if you mean it as a “positive” stereotype, it’s still othering and treating us like some different species who are more or less likely to be good at something based on our genetic physical features instead of viewing us as individuals. By using positive stereotypes, you’re also making a case for negative stereotypes. You can’t say one race is automatically better at a topic without also saying therefore races can be worse at another topic. If you say “it’s fine to say Asians are good at math but you shouldn’t say Asians are bad at driving”, than you are inferring that the reason why you shouldn’t say it is because it’s hurtful, when really it’s because it isn’t true.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:41 pm
Della wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:38 pm

Fair enough, being woke doesn’t mean “being nice to people “ to me.

What do you think about the post itself?
I think you are coming from an agenda driven perspective with this post. And I wonder if Arkansas law allows this to be discussed in classrooms.
306/232

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic