Do you keep cash in the house?

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SoFloMom wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:23 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:14 am
Slimshandy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:00 am

It definitely looks backwards to me. The zipper is the kind that goes behind, and the seams aren’t accentuating her bust, they’re going straight down- like the would one the back of a dress.

Also- that woman looks ridiculous. It’s not quite common even if she did it…
VFSHOW Womens Front Zipper Tie Waist Slim Work Business Office Bodycon Pencil Dress
Available on Amazon
That’s a really pretty dress. I’d totally wear it. I probably would put the zipper down to create a V neck, but can see why the zipper was pulled up for a court appearance.
It is pretty. I don't care for zippers in the front of my dress but I'd wear this in Black.

Women are entirely too quick to attack another woman's appearance, and its mainly the ones who have no room to talk. What a petty thing to complain about.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:36 pm So very telling that when they can no longer call her out for carrying cash they resort to attacking her appearance.
The dress was a conversational side note…

The money is still the real issue…She’s still waiting on a judicial verdict, and as of this point, republicans accompanied a big goal…

“It will be at least a week before the lawyers give closing statements on the conflict-of-interest question.

If the judge doesn't remove either prosecutor, the trial could still be on track to begin in August.

Acevedo said it's possible, but very likely not practical, there will be a verdict before the November election.

"I would say it’s very unlikely, theoretically possible, but very unlikely that we get a verdict before November," Acevedo said.“

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/fulton ... r-says.amp
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I saw something posted on my local FB this weekend about this. I have no clue who this Willis woman is or the story with her, I haven't kept up. But on FB it was suggested that keeping money in that way was "a black thing". I have no clue about that either.

Here's what I can tell you. I've never kept money in my house and neither did either of my parents. We grew up fairly poor, and maybe that's part of it. All money went to bills every month so there was nothing left over to stash in the house. Neither of my parents ever had much of a savings whether in the house or in the bank. So to me it was never a thing. I honestly never thought about keeping large sums of money in my house until I heard about it later in life. My co-worker, who's half Mexican half white, said her grandmother always did it and so she picked up the habit from her and has cash stashed in her own house.

Here's my question about the practice though - what happens when your house is destroyed? Fire, tornado, flood, hurricane? Not only have you now lost your house but you've lost a huge chunk of your savings. Whereas if you had that money in the bank you still have access to money to get a hotel room and get some clothes and what not until the insurance money comes through. Banks are protected pretty darn well these days and I haven't really heard of anyone losing large sums of money in the bank unless they fall prey to one of these phone or text scams. But all it takes is one simple house fire which can happen to ANYONE at ANY TIME and you've just lost your entire savings. I really don't understand why anyone would want to keep more than a couple hundred in cash laying around anywhere.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:30 pm I saw something posted on my local FB this weekend about this. I have no clue who this Willis woman is or the story with her, I haven't kept up. But on FB it was suggested that keeping money in that way was "a black thing". I have no clue about that either.

Here's what I can tell you. I've never kept money in my house and neither did either of my parents. We grew up fairly poor, and maybe that's part of it. All money went to bills every month so there was nothing left over to stash in the house. Neither of my parents ever had much of a savings whether in the house or in the bank. So to me it was never a thing. I honestly never thought about keeping large sums of money in my house until I heard about it later in life. My co-worker, who's half Mexican half white, said her grandmother always did it and so she picked up the habit from her and has cash stashed in her own house.

Here's my question about the practice though - what happens when your house is destroyed? Fire, tornado, flood, hurricane? Not only have you now lost your house but you've lost a huge chunk of your savings. Whereas if you had that money in the bank you still have access to money to get a hotel room and get some clothes and what not until the insurance money comes through. Banks are protected pretty darn well these days and I haven't really heard of anyone losing large sums of money in the bank unless they fall prey to one of these phone or text scams. But all it takes is one simple house fire which can happen to ANYONE at ANY TIME and you've just lost your entire savings. I really don't understand why anyone would want to keep more than a couple hundred in cash laying around anywhere.
I think this is why it is not as common anymore. Before integration, banks could not be trusted but a lot has changed since then, plus there are huge risks if something happens to the house (like you said, fire, hurricane, etc).
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:30 pm I saw something posted on my local FB this weekend about this. I have no clue who this Willis woman is or the story with her, I haven't kept up. But on FB it was suggested that keeping money in that way was "a black thing". I have no clue about that either.

To be fair, fire proof safes and lockboxes are readily availability to help mitigate that.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:50 pm
Baconqueen13 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:36 pm So very telling that when they can no longer call her out for carrying cash they resort to attacking her appearance.

The money is still the real issue…She’s still waiting on a judicial verdict, and as of this point, republicans accompanied a big goal…

“It will be at least a week before the lawyers give closing statements on the conflict-of-interest question.

If the judge doesn't remove either prosecutor, the trial could still be on track to begin in August.

Acevedo said it's possible, but very likely not practical, there will be a verdict before the November election.

"I would say it’s very unlikely, theoretically possible, but very unlikely that we get a verdict before November," Acevedo said.“

Are you admitting that the case against Willis was simply a ruse to delay the impending Verdict against Trump because Willis is involved in the case against Trump.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:02 pm

Are you admitting that the case against Willis was simply a ruse to delay the impending Verdict against Trump because Willis is involved in the case against Trump.
No, I’m saying she did something wrong, and that mistake probably cost them the trial because Trump’s attorneys took full advantage.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I think the answer to that question generally depends. John Floyd, Fani Willis's father, testified that he always encouraged his daughter to have cash available due to experience of his credit cards being denied due to his race and in comments, I saw that other Black men and women confirmed that they too were taught that. As I posted, Blacks didn't have access to traditional banking prior to Civil Rights Movement and distrust of banks is often handed down from one generation to the next (old habits die hard) and Blacks and Hispanics have the highest unbanked rates in the US. Some keep it in case of an event (like hurricane) which requires them to evacuate and I assume they would take it with them. If power is out in a locality, credit/debit cards can't be used. Still others feel secure that they have cash available for travel or business (also me) - I shelled out over $4000 in cash last week for goods and services. Many women in partnerships do not have access to bank accounts and understandably And some, like my son and daughter, like to hoard cash in the same way that they liked having a piggy bank. I think there is a big difference between having cash available or having life savings. IMO, cash available is meant to be spent whereas life savings is not (if that makes sense). But financially speaking, having cash in your home is no different than having a checking account minus fees EXCEPT for the danger of loss or theft. It's just a risk that some people are willing to take. I keep my cash in a safe and a vintage sewing box, lol.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:09 pm

No, I’m saying she did something wrong, and that mistake probably cost them the trial because Trump’s attorneys took full advantage.
So, guilty until proven innocent? You're the judge and jury?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:09 pm

Isn't it the job of the courts to decide if she did something wrong? Not yours....and IF she is found innocent would that not indicate that the case against her was an erroneous way to stall the trial against Trump
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic