Sunny Hostin's Mother Cried to Learn About Family's Slave-Owning Past: 'She Was Deeply Disappointed'

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:48 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:29 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:25 pm

I'm so glad you posted that. Some of my recent views on reparations have been influenced by reading about reparations paid to those Japanese Americans who were placed in internment camps during WWII.

One thing that struck me recently was that reparations were roughly $20,000 given to each survivor or their surviving family members. I could be wrong about the amount. $20,000 seems like nothing to compensate for the trauma experienced nor the loss of property which sometimes was in the millions. That being said, some survivors saw it positively - at least they were being acknowledged while others saw it as demeaning.

I guess that's one of the reasons that I feel that a single monetary payout can be problematic however a concerted effort to build the Black community would demonstrate a better faith effort. Also, it behoves the federal government to enable a community to prosper! More prosperity, more tax dollars, lol.

Final thought (for now) is that any effort to improve prosperity for Black Americans has to address policing and prisons as that has been one of the major contributors to the inability of Blacks, particularly Black men, to accumulate wealth.
I thought it was closer to 30K but I don't remember the exact amount. You're probably right.
That is what I was always told. Japanese in certain areas had it harder than others, especially on the US mainland so reparations did not cover everything a lot of families lost. I'm sure that is probably why you have heard mixed reviews.

I'm not against a payout because that may be a better option for some families but for me, it isn't on the top of my priority list. Contrary to popular belief, its not all about a money grab and blaming white people for slavery..even though the conversation always seems to end up there. LOL
That's why it's so complicated! I can only imagine the look on a Grandma from rural Mississippi's face when a fed tell her "we're going to give you reparations by building you a highway!"
My grandmother was strict on us about depending on or expecting anything from anyone, so reparations wasn't a hot button topic for her. But the hell she went through, she definitely deserved it. I still don't see how they did it!
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:05 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:54 pm
Baconqueen13 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:26 pm

The sentiment of "boo F***ing hoo" and "get over it" are the same. Let's be honest this isn't the first time you've bitched about what you see as "unfair advantage" or reparations given to POC. There was a whole thread about a baking competition you were pissed because it was geared towards POC and you took offense because then your child wouldn't be able to participate in ONE out of hundreds of other potential competitions. Your prejudices are quite clear
And again…

Every argument you guys have about why I’m racist is always about me saying everyone should be treated equally, you saying that’s racist, and then we ping pong back and forth with insults…

I just don’t care… I don’t even care to disagree, if you think I’m racist, fine… that’s none of my concern.
Neglecting or rather refusing to see the systemic advantages that grants you privileges not afforded to others and then complaining when others are approved to receive help to balance their disadvantage is in fact racist. It's like complaining about not getting a wheelchair even though you are fully able to walk without aid or assistance. You think it's "unfair" that someone else got the wheelchair "for free" even though you don't even need one.
Or back to reality, I believe everything needed to right those wrongs is being done in the space of available social programs, and if you think that’s racist… fine. That’s not something I even care to correct you on anymore…
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:21 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:28 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:07 pm

Haven't reparations always been discussed as being federally funded and wouldn't all American tax payers, including descendants of slaves be paying those reparations?

I guess this gets to the heart of what I found disturbing and offensive about your statement. First, it implies that only whites are paying reparations. Second, it implies that Hostin with a white slave trader ancestor now qualifies her as a payor not a payee. Maybe I'm interpreting that wrong but that was why I asked for clarification. But can you understand that the notion that Blacks, who have European blood, should be payers rather than payees is offensive to many?

That's not to say that the discussion of reparations is not important or that everyone shouldn't have a voice and I fully recognize that people have differing views on reparations, all of which have validity. I'm just saying that reparations should never be about the percentage of European genes a descendant of slavery has. I guess that was my point when I erroneously used the term "altered" instead of "introduced".

If I’m wrong about my assessment, and it doesn’t matter to anyone which genetic lineage you have part of so long as your ancestors were legitimately held in slavery and generational maleficts were suffered-

What do you think about this story? Would this be a problem?

https://www.newsweek.com/california-rep ... ng-1765793
Concerns About The Current Eligibility Criteria

Some experts are concerned that the current language of the eligibility criteria might open the door for individuals identifying as White to possibly receive reparations money if they prove descendance and meet the eligibility criteria.

A person’s skin color is based on their ancestors, but it doesn’t tell a complete story of who their ancestors are. In a Grandparent-Grandchild span, a skin color can completely change but that doesn’t mean their ancestors changed. But this would definitely be a problem for most people who believe in reparation payments… right? If someone who self identifies as white but had half of their Black great-grandparents and beyond going back to the civil war? So why would that be a problem?
Personally, if someone has denied their past experience and identified as white generationally, then they shouldn't be eligible for reparation as they have enjoyed white privilege in this country. That's a personal metric, not a systemic metric. I also realize that there is no way to "throw out" those who technically qualify but perhaps not morally. With any compensation, there will be a few who perhaps shouldn't qualify but do based on a technicality. In the case you cited, would checking the DNA sampling and have a "cut off" of European DNA that would make people ineligible? No. That would be abhorrent. Just as much as a "how Jewish are you" would be abhorrent in giving holocaust reparations.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:41 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:21 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:28 pm

If I’m wrong about my assessment, and it doesn’t matter to anyone which genetic lineage you have part of so long as your ancestors were legitimately held in slavery and generational maleficts were suffered-

What do you think about this story? Would this be a problem?

https://www.newsweek.com/california-rep ... ng-1765793
Concerns About The Current Eligibility Criteria

Some experts are concerned that the current language of the eligibility criteria might open the door for individuals identifying as White to possibly receive reparations money if they prove descendance and meet the eligibility criteria.

A person’s skin color is based on their ancestors, but it doesn’t tell a complete story of who their ancestors are. In a Grandparent-Grandchild span, a skin color can completely change but that doesn’t mean their ancestors changed. But this would definitely be a problem for most people who believe in reparation payments… right? If someone who self identifies as white but had half of their Black great-grandparents and beyond going back to the civil war? So why would that be a problem?
Personally, if someone has denied their past experience and identified as white generationally, then they shouldn't be eligible for reparation as they have enjoyed white privilege in this country. That's a personal metric, not a systemic metric. I also realize that there is no way to "throw out" those who technically qualify but perhaps not morally. With any compensation, there will be a few who perhaps shouldn't qualify but do based on a technicality. In the case you cited, would checking the DNA sampling and have a "cut off" of European DNA that would make people ineligible? No. That would be abhorrent. Just as much as a "how Jewish are you" would be abhorrent in giving holocaust reparations.
I agree with you there…

So back to the question I was posing to sally…taking into account the percentage of America who may have slave ancestors, what percentage of the nation would qualify?

America had a population of 30 million back then, and about 330 million today.

What kind of tax impacts could we expect?
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:37 pm

And again…

Every argument you guys have about why I’m racist is always about me saying everyone should be treated equally, you saying that’s racist, and then we ping pong back and forth with insults…

I just don’t care… I don’t even care to disagree, if you think I’m racist, fine… that’s none of my concern.
Neglecting or rather refusing to see the systemic advantages that grants you privileges not afforded to others and then complaining when others are approved to receive help to balance their disadvantage is in fact racist. It's like complaining about not getting a wheelchair even though you are fully able to walk without aid or assistance. You think it's "unfair" that someone else got the wheelchair "for free" even though you don't even need one.
Or back to reality, I believe everything needed to right those wrongs is being done in the space of available social programs, and if you think that’s racist… fine. That’s not something I even care to correct you on anymore…
You think programs like HUD, SNAP, AFDC, etc are like reparations?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

And again…

Or rather, as you said here already (and I'll quote you if you like) you don't believe reparations are even needed. Which yes, seeing as POC still experience systemic and outright racism on a regular basis, I do believe it is racist to say that "everything needed to right those wrongs is being done". They are FAR from being done and far from being applied effectively which is why we still see such large disparities throughout society based on inequality that disproportionately punishes POC and rewards white people.

Everything from school funding where colored schools and communities are understaffed, over crowded and don't have the required resources for students in comparison to predominately white schools, to the justice system where POC receive harsher and longer sentences (or increased fines) in comparison to their white counterparts, or even banks refusing home loans for black applicants despite them having HIGHER Credit scores and larger down payments than their white neighbors..... so yes, I see refusal to acknowledge one's own "White privilege" and claiming that the current system is handling things "equally/appropriately" and saying reparations aren't needed as INCREDIBLY racist in a world where racism and inequality is still very prevalent.

Oh look, I went back and found it
Slimshandy wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:01 am
You’re asking why I won’t mimic your words? I don’t like your sentence structure I guess…

“One of us” means the payee/payor groups that those in support of reparations are trying to create…

My stance is that no one deserves reparations…

You refusal to see how we as a society are still not only suffering from racial inequality but still actively promoting it while using your white privilege to complain about not being catered to IS incredibly racist.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Della wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:52 pm

You think programs like HUD, SNAP, AFDC, etc are like reparations?
I didn’t say they are like reparations at all…
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

And again…

How do you explain the inequity that currently exists? I mean you've stated the above multiple times but knowing the inequity what is the solution? Do you feel that it's a problem that will solve itself in a few generations and the Black community should just be patient? Do you think it's a problem caused by the community itself? Do you think the Black community just hasn't bought into the "bootstraps" mentality?

Do you think your views may be shaded by white privilege or is white privilege as a concept simply not exist?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:53 pm

Or rather, as you said here already (and I'll quote you if you like) you don't believe reparations are even needed. Which yes, seeing as POC still experience systemic and outright racism on a regular basis, I do believe it is racist to say that "everything needed to right those wrongs is being done". They are FAR from being done and far from being applied effectively which is why we still see such large disparities throughout society based on inequality that disproportionately punishes POC and rewards white people.

Everything from school funding where colored schools and communities are understaffed, over crowded and don't have the required resources for students in comparison to predominately white schools, to the justice system where POC receive harsher and longer sentences (or increased fines) in comparison to their white counterparts, or even banks refusing home loans for black applicants despite them having HIGHER Credit scores and larger down payments than their white neighbors..... so yes, I see refusal to acknowledge one's own "White privilege" and claiming that the current system is handling things "equally/appropriately" and saying reparations aren't needed as INCREDIBLY racist in a world where racism and inequality is still very prevalent.
Then I respect your ability to have that opinion…

I’m just too tired to correct all of your statements about my opinions, so I’ll just say… ok. Think it.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:00 pm

How do you explain the inequity that currently exists? I mean you've stated the above multiple times but knowing the inequity what is the solution? Do you feel that it's a problem that will solve itself in a few generations and the Black community should just be patient? Do you think it's a problem caused by the community itself? Do you think the Black community just hasn't bought into the "bootstraps" mentality?

Do you think your views may be shaded by white privilege or is white privilege as a concept simply not exist?
So when you say “White privilege” let’s be like lawyers and define each term.
Do you mean that in the sense that I take it to mean, and if I’m wrong, by all means, correct me - that because I am white I have had a less chance of being involved with a negative police altercation based on the racist stereotypes that police hold-

Or do you mean privilege in all areas of life?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic