Sunny Hostin's Mother Cried to Learn About Family's Slave-Owning Past: 'She Was Deeply Disappointed'

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

[quote Sunny Hostin had to have a tough conversation with her mother after taking part in Finding Your Roots.

During Thursday's episode of The View, the 55-year-old co-host detailed how her mom Rosa Beza reacted Finding Your Roots host Henry Louis Gates, Jr. telling Hostin that her maternal ancestors had "likely" owned slaves.

That her third great-grandfather was "the son of a merchant who was likely involved in the slave trade" and had owned at least one person was just one of many "surprising revelations about my family history," Hostin said on The View. While telling the panelelist that her forebears from Galicia, Spain, had moved to Puerto Rico as "enslavers," Hostin also revealed that she'd learned on the PBS genealogy series that she is only 7 percent indigenous Puerto Rican. ][/quote]

https://people.com/sunny-hostin-mother- ... ts-8572507
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

What is there to cry about?

Just the whole issue of slavery in general, or does she now feel like she’s got some of that evil blood in her?
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I see both the advantage and disadvantage of looking into one’s genealogy and this is an example of a disadvantage. I can s the how this would be upsetting and disappointing to Hostin and her mother.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I’ve looked into my genealogy and it appears that my ancestors include both slave owners and slaves. It wasn’t completely surprising and shocking, since I know my racial background is mixed. However it was still upsetting. Slavery in general is upsetting. It makes me sad to know that my ancestors experienced the horrors of slavery AND that my ancestors thought it was justifiable to cause those horrors.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:08 pm What is there to cry about?

Just the whole issue of slavery in general, or does she now feel like she’s got some of that evil blood in her?
Idk if I'd think of blood as "evil." I'm sure it's upsetting to discover your ancestors were involved in the slave trade. As far as I know, mine came to America too late to be involved. Still doesn't mean they didn't do something bad Idk about. I'd say she's not her ancestors. She has to understand she's her own person who can take this knowledge and make far better decisions.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:29 pm

Idk if I'd think of blood as "evil." I'm sure it's upsetting to discover your ancestors were involved in the slave trade. As far as I know, mine came to America too late to be involved. Still doesn't mean they didn't do something bad Idk about. I'd say she's not her ancestors. She has to understand she's her own person who can take this knowledge and make far better decisions.
It would be extremely difficult to find any human being in the world who didn’t have an ancestor involved in some aspect of slave trading if you look back far enough…if you’re trying to look 400 years ago, you’ve got over a million people ancestors to judge…
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:29 am

It would be extremely difficult to find any human being in the world who didn’t have an ancestor involved in some aspect of slave trading if you look back far enough…if you’re trying to look 400 years ago, you’ve got over a million people ancestors to judge…
Reading the article it seems she was upset to find out that rather than being indigenous Puerto Rican, she was descended from a Spaniard who may have been tangentially involved in the slave trade. It's kind of a double whammy. I would think that anyone who believes that they are one ethnicity (especially indigenous) only to find out that they are not would have some feels about it. Her feelings are her own and she is allowed to express them.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:56 pm

Reading the article it seems she was upset to find out that rather than being indigenous Puerto Rican, she was descended from a Spaniard who may have been tangentially involved in the slave trade. It's kind of a double whammy. I would think that anyone who believes that they are one ethnicity (especially indigenous) only to find out that they are not would have some feels about it. Her feelings are her own and she is allowed to express them.
lol boo hoo. She’s one of the rest of us now.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:38 pm

Speak for yourself.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:38 pm

Huh? Who is us?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic