My high schoolers needed to do a history report on moments that changed the world…

Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:07 am
Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:12 pm
Quorra2.0 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:44 pm

Glad I’m not the only one unimpressed with McDonalds.
Who says it has to be impressive? When I did projects/papers, I often picked things I knew I could get a good grade on, not on what was "most impressive".
There isn’t a single history class I’ve taken or my kids have taken in which they would have gotten a good grade on that for an assignment on a moment that changed the world.
If it’s well researched and written, they 100% deserve a good grade. Not every assignment needs to be Pulitzer Prize winning and ground breaking. if your history teachers would refuse to give a good grade, regardless of the content of the paper and how well they achieved the assignment, they aren’t very good teachers. If the kids are learning to research and write, great, and if they can do it using something kind of silly and that helps them have fun while accomplishing the assignment, even better. There are many ways that McDonald’s both positively and negatively impacted the food industry, and they are a global business, so they have changed the world.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:52 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:12 pm

Who says it has to be impressive? When I did projects/papers, I often picked things I knew I could get a good grade on, not on what was "most impressive".
There isn’t a single history class I’ve taken or my kids have taken in which they would have gotten a good grade on that for an assignment on a moment that changed the world.
If it’s well researched and written, they 100% deserve a good grade. Not every assignment needs to be Pulitzer Prize winning and ground breaking. if your history teachers would refuse to give a good grade, regardless of the content of the paper and how well they achieved the assignment, they aren’t very good teachers. If the kids are learning to research and write, great, and if they can do it using something kind of silly and that helps them have fun while accomplishing the assignment, even better. There are many ways that McDonald’s both positively and negatively impacted the food industry, and they are a global business, so they have changed the world.
I had great teachers and was able to get into competitive universities for both undergrad and joint degree graduate program.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:58 pm

I had great teachers and was able to get into competitive universities for both undergrad and joint degree graduate program.
Okay, I went to a competitive undergrad and grad program, my teachers, they graded us fairly instead of giving bad grades regardless of the quality of the assignment.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:36 pm Did your Dd just focus solely on the invention of plastic or did she include how its invention not only changed the world in that moment but the future both positive and negative impacts? The first would be fine but I hope the teacher graded her higher if she did the later, including extra credit points. Coronavirus pandemic would have been a good topic as well, it’s very broad not only have human and societal impacts but environmental, medical science, etc.

I would not have been impressed with any of the McDonald’s ones though tbh. They weren’t the first or even the oldest fast food restaurant.
Yes but it's extremely influential in our culture as well as its intrusion into others. Is there a country that doesn't have a McDonald's? Other than maybe North Korea? If the paper is thought out it's a fine topic. I've heard worse.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:15 pm

Okay, I went to a competitive undergrad and grad program, my teachers, they graded us fairly instead of giving bad grades regardless of the quality of the assignment.
Grading by quality would be grading fairly. Why would anyone think they should get a good grade for poor quality work?
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:14 pm

Grading by quality would be grading fairly. Why would anyone think they should get a good grade for poor quality work?
How on earth would you know the quality of an assignment without reading it first?
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:48 pm
Quorra2.0 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:36 pm Did your Dd just focus solely on the invention of plastic or did she include how its invention not only changed the world in that moment but the future both positive and negative impacts? The first would be fine but I hope the teacher graded her higher if she did the later, including extra credit points. Coronavirus pandemic would have been a good topic as well, it’s very broad not only have human and societal impacts but environmental, medical science, etc.

I would not have been impressed with any of the McDonald’s ones though tbh. They weren’t the first or even the oldest fast food restaurant.
Yes but it's extremely influential in our culture as well as its intrusion into others. Is there a country that doesn't have a McDonald's? Other than maybe North Korea? If the paper is thought out it's a fine topic. I've heard worse.
There are 195 countries, 196 if you recognize Taiwan as independent from China. McDonald’s has locations in 99. They do not have locations in Iceland, Barbados, Jamaica, Russia just to name a few.

If it was 1 student, I’d think it possible but multiple students, the probability is slim that they’d be well thought out papers. I didn’t say it was the worse, I’ve heard worse as well, just wonder how engaging this teacher was if so many students picked the start of McDonalds.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:35 pm

How on earth would you know the quality of an assignment without reading it first?
How on earth would you know that 9 students choosing McDonald’s produced quality work? There’s just not enough for papers to not get flagged by plagiarism software. At all my kids schools they limited how many students could choose a specific topic. This was for their benefit. They also allowed them to check their work for their percentages so that they had opportunities to make changes before final submission so that the paper wasn’t more than 10% matching another.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:14 pm

How on earth would you know that 9 students choosing McDonald’s produced quality work? There’s just not enough for papers to not get flagged by plagiarism software. At all my kids schools they limited how many students could choose a specific topic. This was for their benefit. They also allowed them to check their work for their percentages so that they had opportunities to make changes before final submission so that the paper wasn’t more than 10% matching another.
Is this report even graded? It was an assignment for the entire high school student body, not just one class. Depending on the size of the student body, I can understand the number of students picking McDonalds. This year is the 70th anniversary and so lots of articles, shows, etc. focusing on McDonalds. Also, if just a thought project rather than a history paper, why not choose something kind of fun and relatable?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:14 pm

I don’t know, because I haven’t read their papers. You’re accusing them of plagiarism because they chose the same topic? How would you know whether they do use plagiarism software or not? And I’m sure whoever was grading would notice if nine kids had the same paper.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic