My high schoolers needed to do a history report on moments that changed the world…

Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

The whole student body had to participate….My daughter chose the invention of plastics,
My son chose the beginning of the pandemic…

Some kids chose MLK’s I have a dream speech, some chose the moon landing, some chose 9/11…

But by far- the most covered topic, done by 9 separate students-

The first opening of McDonald’s.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

All sound like they could be great topics for a paper.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Cool! From their perspective, it probably was a pivotal moment that changed the world.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Two of mine had to do that when they were in grade 10 for history. My son choose the digital revolution, while my DD did Assassination of Archduke Ferdinand II. Yeah, I have two very different children. Honestly I only remember my sons friend report just because it was a little different when you think about it he did the K-T extinction.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

It sounds like many kids have been watching “The Food that Built America”
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

mommy_jules wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:58 am It sounds like many kids have been watching “The Food that Built America”
Or possibly "You Are What You Eat."
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:11 pm
mommy_jules wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:58 am It sounds like many kids have been watching “The Food that Built America”
Or possibly "You Are What You Eat."
I haven’t watched that one, but there a number of documentaries and tv shows dedicated to the topic of food. It’s an essential part of everyday life, and it’s talked about all the time. It’s not surprising kids would choose McDonald’s as the topic of the essay.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Did your Dd just focus solely on the invention of plastic or did she include how its invention not only changed the world in that moment but the future both positive and negative impacts? The first would be fine but I hope the teacher graded her higher if she did the later, including extra credit points. Coronavirus pandemic would have been a good topic as well, it’s very broad not only have human and societal impacts but environmental, medical science, etc.

I would not have been impressed with any of the McDonald’s ones though tbh. They weren’t the first or even the oldest fast food restaurant.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

She did it all…she went into detail about how many lives have been saved by the ability to use plastics in medical care, and she went into detail about how there’s a million people dying a year in developing countries because of plastics pollution…

She equated it to the when man first discovered the ability to harness fire, we can use it to propel our whole species forward, or we can burn everything down because we didn’t know how to use it properly …
Quorra2.0 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:36 pm Did your Dd just focus solely on the invention of plastic or did she include how its invention not only changed the world in that moment but the future both positive and negative impacts? The first would be fine but I hope the teacher graded her higher if she did the later, including extra credit points. Coronavirus pandemic would have been a good topic as well, it’s very broad not only have human and societal impacts but environmental, medical science, etc.

I would not have been impressed with any of the McDonald’s ones though tbh. They weren’t the first or even the oldest fast food restaurant.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Mine is so attached to her phone, she would probably do something about technology ( cell phones, internet..something along those lines..I will say she would whine, pout, moan and complain a lot first though as she hates writing papers.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic