Florida Republicans want to block removal of Confederate monuments

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:45 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:14 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:10 pm

You don’t even know what to explain…You don’t know my opinion on this subject…
I’d be willing to test my civil war knowledge against yours.

Your tactic is always to make the argument about me personally instead of the topic at hand, but I’m not quite sure that’s working out for you, or anyone else on this board really.

No one actually wants to read us bicker… weird… but relatable.

So if you have any more opinions on the topic at hand, I’m all ears,
but I don’t think anyone is going to benefit from this back and forth between us again.
Its not about agreeing or disagreeing. You're not from the south, so you have an outsiders POV on this.

This is like the City of Dallas deciding to build a statue of Louis Farrakhan in front of Jewish building and a high traffic area. Yes, you can find good reasons to honor anyone who has contributed to history or riddle the discussion with false equvalicies from a distance. But bottom line, the Jewish community and Dallas residents should have the right to push back on the city because we have the option of moving it to a different location or put it in a museum.

We pay taxes for the right, even if we do not agree with the actual topic and the answer is not giving one side their way instead of taking this case by case.

Some monuments stay, some go. People really need to get over this. Especially the ones who don't understand how complicated this is.
Again… you don’t know what my opinion is, so you don’t even know if you agree or disagree with me yet. As far as Florida goes, you’re an outsider, with an outsiders point of view also…

I agree that this should be a decision made by the locals…
As I said in my first couple of replies, stories like this are just meant to rile people up.
This is the part I am responding too. This is my opinion.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:53 am
Della wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:45 am
Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:28 am Wouldn’t that apply to both sides of this issue…? Just saying 🤷‍♀️

Should Germany still have statues on the history of the Nazis?
Germany didn’t have a civil war.
Their population isn’t at odds with which parts of their history they want to celebrate…
But both regimes were about supremacy. I think a lot of German people are not happy with the continuation of reparations. They, like Americans, don't feel it's their responsibility.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:06 pm
mommy_jules wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:03 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:32 am

We don’t have any required statues.

We have statues some people like, some people don’t like…
The monument in Linn Park has been the subject of a legal fight between Birmingham and the Alabama Attorney General’s Office over a state historical monuments law. The City of Birmingham has wanted it removed but has lost a legal fight with the Alabama Attorney General’s Office.
https://www.al.com/news/2020/06/watch-l ... ument.html

Birmingham had to pay a fine for removing the statue. It sounds like Florida is going the same direction. Local governments shouldn’t have their hands tied by the state, but that’s what is happening.
Sounds like honoring the wishes of local government over state government is super important.

What about when it comes to the wishes of state governments over federal government?

Does it matter as much then?
Should the state put it to a statewide vote?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Locked Previous topicNext topic