At least half of Gaza's buildings damaged or destroyed, new analysis shows

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

And, what do you know? Speaking of John Spencer, he wrote another opinion today on “Newsweek”

https://www.newsweek.com/israel-implem ... on-1865613

Israel has taken more measures to avoid needless civilian harm than virtually any other nation that's fought an urban war”
“In fact, as someone who has served two tours in Iraq and studied urban warfare for over a decade, Israel has taken precautionary measures even the United States did not do during its recent wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
I say this not to put Israel on a pedestal or to diminish the human suffering of Gazans but rather to correct a number of misperceptions when it comes to urban warfare.“
“ Despite the unique challenges Israel faces in its war against Hamas, it has implemented more measures to prevent civilian casualties than any other military in history.
“ To be clear, I am outraged by the civilian casualties in Gaza. But it's crucial to direct that outrage at the right target. And that target is Hamas.
The sole reason for civilian deaths in Gaza is Hamas. For Israel's part, it's taken more care to prevent them than any other army in human history.

I wish I could put it all here, but I can’t. But I encourage all of those with these misperceptions to read it. This is someone who is an expert in urban warfare and has personal experience with it. It’s important to be educated before giving an opinion and he explains about PGMs, which Israel uses in it’s airstrikes, the issue of proportionality, and what measures has Israel taken to protect innocent citizens of Gaza that have never been done by any other army before.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:24 pm And, what do you know? Speaking of John Spencer, he wrote another opinion today on “Newsweek”

Israel has taken more measures to avoid needless civilian harm than virtually any other nation that's fought an urban war”
“In fact, as someone who has served two tours in Iraq and studied urban warfare for over a decade, Israel has taken precautionary measures even the United States did not do during its recent wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
I say this not to put Israel on a pedestal or to diminish the human suffering of Gazans but rather to correct a number of misperceptions when it comes to urban warfare.“
“ Despite the unique challenges Israel faces in its war against Hamas, it has implemented more measures to prevent civilian casualties than any other military in history.
“ To be clear, I am outraged by the civilian casualties in Gaza. But it's crucial to direct that outrage at the right target. And that target is Hamas.
The sole reason for civilian deaths in Gaza is Hamas. For Israel's part, it's taken more care to prevent them than any other army in human history.

I wish I could put it all here, but I can’t. But I encourage all of those with these misperceptions to read it. This is someone who is an expert in urban warfare and has personal experience with it. It’s important to be educated before giving an opinion and he explains about PGMs, which Israel uses in it’s airstrikes, the issue of proportionality, and what measures has Israel taken to protect innocent citizens of Gaza that have never been done by any other army before.
I follow Spencer on twitter and have read both the CNN article from November and the current Newsweek article. I think he makes a lot of sense from a military perspective.

Here's the thing, we are bombarded with horrific images of men, women, and children who have been horrifically killed or maimed by the bombings. We also see images of IDF soldiers bragging on TikToc of killing and maiming women and children. We see images of entire residential blocks being leveled and images of IDF soldiers celebrating the leveling of these entire residential blocks. We watch reporters from Gaza being notified that their co-workers or families have been killed and see Israeli politicians refer to Palestinians as scum or rats. We see posters of hostages and pleas from their families and then see IDF shooting hostages with white flags. We see the Israeli leveling of buildings on the Gaza coast and then ads for new condos for Israelis.

While militarily Israel may be reacting appropriately and in keeping with the rules of war, the sight of babies with no legs kind of trumps that in perception. Many just want the killing to stop and some sort of relief for those who are still alive in Gaza. Article today that they are "eating grass". Think about that!

Wanting the death and destruction of Palestinians and Gaza to stop and wanting aid to get to those who are SO desperately in need does not make someone anti-semitic or pro-Hamas, it makes them human.

No military, even IDF, should be free from scrutiny.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Oh, scrutinize please. But do so with facts and intellectual honesty, which is something most people aren’t doing and instead are getting their (mis)information from Tik Tok and jumping on the “genocide” and “ceasefire” bandwagon. As apparently you are doing… you’re not “scrutinizing” when you’re using misinformation to pass judgment. “I saw it on Tik Tok” is usually followed by a load of BS.
And when “scrutinizing” please do it to the same level as you do everything else. But people “scrutinize” Israel to a different standard than they do other countries. Where’s your “scrutiny” of the American, Russian, German, British armies in their various conflicts? Why hold Israel to a different standard?
So when you do your “scrutiny” of the only Jewish state happily relying on Tik Tok and images without context to give them your interpretation and when you expect Israel to behave differently than any other country when responding to attacks, then I’m sorry, but it’s perfectly valid to scrutinize your possible motives as well.
WellPreserved wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:22 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:24 pm And, what do you know? Speaking of John Spencer, he wrote another opinion today on “Newsweek”

I follow Spencer on twitter and have read both the CNN article from November and the current Newsweek article. I think he makes a lot of sense from a military perspective.

Here's the thing, we are bombarded with horrific images of men, women, and children who have been horrifically killed or maimed by the bombings. We also see images of IDF soldiers bragging on TikToc of killing and maiming women and children. We see images of entire residential blocks being leveled and images of IDF soldiers celebrating the leveling of these entire residential blocks. We watch reporters from Gaza being notified that their co-workers or families have been killed and see Israeli politicians refer to Palestinians as scum or rats. We see posters of hostages and pleas from their families and then see IDF shooting hostages with white flags. We see the Israeli leveling of buildings on the Gaza coast and then ads for new condos for Israelis.

While militarily Israel may be reacting appropriately and in keeping with the rules of war, the sight of babies with no legs kind of trumps that in perception. Many just want the killing to stop and some sort of relief for those who are still alive in Gaza. Article today that they are "eating grass". Think about that!

Wanting the death and destruction of Palestinians and Gaza to stop and wanting aid to get to those who are SO desperately in need does not make someone anti-semitic or pro-Hamas, it makes them human.

❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Tik Tok keeps trying to present this as a one sided war…

It’s not.

They keep saying “look how many bombs Israel has sent over! Hundreds and hundreds!” And the questioning is supposed to stop there and all the viewers say oh, how horrible of Israel….

But they didn’t ask the second question.. since this began, how many bombs has Palestine sent over? Thousands. As they hold hostages.

They’re the instigators, and they’re the ones keeping this going.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:10 am Oh, scrutinize please. But do so with facts and intellectual honesty, which is something most people aren’t doing and instead are getting their (mis)information from Tik Tok and jumping on the “genocide” and “ceasefire” bandwagon. As apparently you are doing… you’re not “scrutinizing” when you’re using misinformation to pass judgment. “I saw it on Tik Tok” is usually followed by a load of BS.
And when “scrutinizing” please do it to the same level as you do everything else. But people “scrutinize” Israel to a different standard than they do other countries. Where’s your “scrutiny” of the American, Russian, German, British armies in their various conflicts? Why hold Israel to a different standard?
So when you do your “scrutiny” of the only Jewish state happily relying on Tik Tok and images without context to give them your interpretation and when you expect Israel to behave differently than any other country when responding to attacks, then I’m sorry, but it’s perfectly valid to scrutinize your possible motives as well.

Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:07 am Tik Tok keeps trying to present this as a one sided war…

It’s not.

They keep saying “look how many bombs Israel has sent over! Hundreds and hundreds!” And the questioning is supposed to stop there and all the viewers say oh, how horrible of Israel….

But they didn’t ask the second question.. since this began, how many bombs has Palestine sent over? Thousands. As they hold hostages.

Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:10 am Oh, scrutinize please. But do so with facts and intellectual honesty, which is something most people aren’t doing and instead are getting their (mis)information from Tik Tok and jumping on the “genocide” and “ceasefire” bandwagon. As apparently you are doing… you’re not “scrutinizing” when you’re using misinformation to pass judgment. “I saw it on Tik Tok” is usually followed by a load of BS.

75 years of occupation is F***ing enough.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Here's the thing, we are bombarded with horrific images of men, women, and children who have been horrifically killed or maimed by the bombings. We also see images of IDF soldiers bragging on TikTok of killing and maiming women and children. We see images of entire residential blocks being leveled and images of IDF soldiers celebrating the leveling of these entire residential blocks. We watch reporters from Gaza being notified that their co-workers or families have been killed and see Israeli politicians refer to Palestinians as scum or rats. We see posters of hostages and pleas from their families and then see IDF shooting hostages with white flags. We see the Israeli leveling of buildings on the Gaza coast and then ads for new condos for Israelis.

I'm not on Tiktok but see videos that are included in media reports and I trust the media I consume. IDF must take some of these seriously as they have opened an investigation into some of the events I listed.

IDF itself is on TikTok and I do generally assume that some of their posts are propaganda they often fail fact checks in media I consume.

"Gaza residents surviving off animal feed and rice as food dwindles" https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-68239320
"Young Israelis block aid to Gaza while IDF soldiers stand and watch" https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/yo ... r-BB1i5EYg
Opinion Piece - "11,500 Children Have Been Killed in Gaza. Horror of This Scale Has No Explanation"kp[----- - https://www.haaretz.com/opinion/2024-02 ... f9c4010000

These articles and 1000s just like them are where people worldwide are getting their information and forming their opinions. Worldwide except for Israel - "Israelis aren't seeing the devastating pictures Australians see from the war in Gaza. They're watching a sanitised war" https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-12-10/ ... /103206528

I feel that I've been pretty consistent, most recently condemning the war crimes perpetrated by Russia in bombing civilian targets in Ukraine resulting in death of almost 30,000 Ukrainian civilians as they enter the third year of war, destruction of churches and national monuments, and taking almost 100,000 Ukrainian children across the border into Russia.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Della wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:14 am
Slimshandy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:07 am Tik Tok keeps trying to present this as a one sided war…

It’s not.

So admit what the consequences of that statement are…

And not in an emotional way, in a logistical and tactical war effort kind of way.

If the Palestinians think 75 years is enough, and they both start a hot war and keep that war going, they have to someday realize that they do not have the military capability or population numbers to win that war. The longer this goes, the less likely there will be a Palestine in existence in a decade from now.

They need to release all hostages this minute if they want their country to continue.

https://www.axios.com/2024/01/22/israel ... e-hostages
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:43 am
Della wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:14 am

It’s not.

So admit what the consequences of that statement are…

And not in an emotional way, in a logistical and tactical war effort kind of way.

If the Palestinians think 75 years is enough, and they both start a hot war and keep that war going, they have to someday realize that they do not have the military capability or population numbers to win that war. The longer this goes, the less likely there will be a Palestine in existence in a decade from now.

They need to release all hostages this minute if they want their country to continue.

https://www.axios.com/2024/01/22/israel ... e-hostages
This isn't a war. It's a slaughter.
306/232

Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Firing at high rise buildings in Damascus. Firing naval weapons at aid trucks.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/21/middleea ... index.html
306/232

AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

I do NOT agree with the military manuevers that the IDF has undertaken and the horrific aftermath of it.

IMO, were it not for the Iron Dome, Israel would be seeing a lot of the same type of destruction from Hamas.

The bottom line for me is this: Bring Them Home!!

Interesting, IMO, the very complicated relationship and dynamics between Israel and Palestine. The long history of the occupation and the other military conflicts and how it's not as simple as it seems...
"Israel and The Occupied Territories - The Occupied Territories - United States Department of State" https://www.state.gov/reports/2016-repo ... rritories/
just an old coot 😉🌵
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic