How can I feel better about this

Anonymous 1

Unread post

This is an advice post. Disclaimer; I have chronic anxiety and depression.

I had a situation happen last month and I'm not sure how to cope with it.
At the line to pick up my children from school, someone hit my car from behind. I was shaken up and pulled over once my kids were in the car, thinking they would do the same. They did not. They drove off. I was able to get their license plate. Long story short, the police were not able to find this person, but my insurance will take care of it.
Here's the thing though, the next day after the incident I saw them again. They have a distinct license plate. I had a small panic attack.

A few days later I was able to take a picture of their license plate to turn into the police. It doesn't do any good though because there is no video or anything of it happening.
I have to see this person every day and I have started to dread the school line! It is really affecting my mental health! It drives me crazy knowing they have the capacity to hit someone's car and drive off and I have to face them every day. Yesterday I was right behind them! I know this is weird. But what would you do? I went the gym last night to blow off some steam and it helped but I hate that this is bugging me so much! It's not even about the car it's the fact that I have to see this person every day. I also think they took a picture of me! I am turning into a paranoid mess.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

That’s not anxiety, that’s anger. You’re mad at them, and for good reason, f**k them. They probably took a picture of you to give to their own insurance company in case you sue, which you will, so f**k them twice over, it’s not going to matter what kind of evidence they get, the crash was their fault.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:42 pm That’s not anxiety, that’s anger. You’re mad at them, and for good reason, f**k them. They probably took a picture of you to give to their own insurance company in case you sue, which you will, so f**k them twice over, it’s not going to matter what kind of evidence they get, the crash was their fault.
I appreciate your empathy, thank you. You're right, I am very mad! I feel violated.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Since you are there everyday, you might want to ask if there are any witnesses to the event. If so, get their contact info and turn over to the insurance company. Let them handle everything.

If you have to interact with this person just say "my insurance company will get in touch. I can't discuss this with you." Leave it at that.

I'm sorry you are also dealing with anxiety and depression. There are resources for support, resources and peer groups at https://nami.org/help
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Since you are there everyday, you might want to ask if there are any witnesses to the event. If so, get their contact info and turn over to the insurance company. Let them handle everything.

If you have to interact with this person just say "my insurance company will get in touch. I can't discuss this with you." Leave it at that.

I'm sorry you are also dealing with anxiety and depression. There are resources for support, resources and peer groups at https://nami.org/help
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Does the school not have cameras in the pickup line area?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:55 pm Since you are there everyday, you might want to ask if there are any witnesses to the event. If so, get their contact info and turn over to the insurance company. Let them handle everything.

Thank you so much. I will check out that site now.
We stay in our cars and the kids come out as the line moves so I have never interacted with them. Do you think it would be weird to get out of my car next time and talk to them? Even though it's been over a month?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:55 pm Does the school not have cameras in the pickup line area?
Unfortunately no because the line is so long it goes down the street. I was on the street when it happened. I was next to a business but there was a tree blocking the view sadly. I had called the school the next day to let them know and to see if they were able to get any info and they were very helpful and contacted that business for me to ask.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Was there a lot of damage to your car? And how couldn't the police find this person since you gave them the plate?? They can look it up, no? IDK. Sorry this happened and hopefully your insurance takes care of it. That person has some nerve just running off like that.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

MrsDavidB wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:32 pm Was there a lot of damage to your car? And how couldn't the police find this person since you gave them the plate?? They can look it up, no? IDK. Sorry this happened and hopefully your insurance takes care of it. That person has some nerve just running off like that.
Thank you very much.
I did take down the plate number but it wasn't correct so that is why they were unable to find them. I only realized a few days ago that what I initially wrote down was wrong ( z's and 2's). Fortunately we have full coverage so the insurance will take care of it. It's not much damage. It's just the principle of the matter that's bothering me I think. It's awkward to me. The fact they could just drive off without even attempting to do the right thing. It makes me think they could be hiding something, like not having insurance, or even illegal drugs. Who knows.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic