If you’ve had a CT with contrast, please come here.

mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I had one yesterday for a lump on my neck. I’m not asking for medical advice - but I’m about to go to urgent care for nausea medication or something. Did you get vomiting and diarrhea afterwards? I’m so miserable that I bet I’ve slept thirty minutes all night. I have a son with autism to take care of so I’m even more frustrated.

Anyway, has it happened to you? I keep googling but the answers seem unclear (probably because I’ve had thirty minutes sleep.)
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I had one done within the last month to check for kidney stones but no, I was fine after. Idk about you but I wasn't allowed to eat or drink before so maybe that has something to do with it for you.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

carterscutie85 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:49 am I had one done within the last month to check for kidney stones but no, I was fine after. Idk about you but I wasn't allowed to eat or drink before so maybe that has something to do with it for you.
I wasn’t on any restrictions. I’ve also had abdominal ct scans with contrast that you drink. I always got diarrhea after those - but no vomiting. This was intravenous so I don’t know if something about it is different.

I’ve barely slept so my responses are probably a bit nonsensical and scattered so I’m sorry.

Thanks for the response.
Heyteacher
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I’ve had one to rule out a pituitary tumor. We lived close enough to the hospital at the time that I walked to and from as it was in summer. Obviously no issues if I was able to do that.

It almost sounds as if you have an allergy either to the iodine in the contrast, or to some other additive in it. If you ever need another I’d mention it prior to scheduling to see if an alternative could be had.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

You should call you doctor and tell him/her this
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

No, I’ve never had any problems afterward, but everyone reacts differently. I’d let your doctor know, so you can at least have this documented. I hope you feel better soon.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12541128/
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:34 am You should call you doctor and tell him/her this
I plan on it Monday. No one is in the office today. I took some zofran though and laid down on the couch. I feel somewhat normal now.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Heyteacher wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:45 am I’ve had one to rule out a pituitary tumor. We lived close enough to the hospital at the time that I walked to and from as it was in summer. Obviously no issues if I was able to do that.

It almost sounds as if you have an allergy either to the iodine in the contrast, or to some other additive in it. If you ever need another I’d mention it prior to scheduling to see if an alternative could be had.
I definitely will. I’m feeling quite a bit better now. I acquired some zofran.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

mommy_jules wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:34 am No, I’ve never had any problems afterward, but everyone reacts differently. I’d let your doctor know, so you can at least have this documented. I hope you feel better soon.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12541128/
It was horrific - but I’m feeling a lot better now.
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I had one when I got into a car accident over a year ago. I didn't have that problem but I had a terrible reaction to the contrast. It legit felt like they stuck boiling water into my veins. It just kept getting worse and worse till I couldn't stand it anymore and begged for it to stop. It burns. It burns so bad!
It was weird because I have had soon many MRIs with contrast and never had that burning feeling. They must have used something else with the CT scan.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic