Would you let your 15 year old go abroad? What about to NYC?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

My 14 year old has been invited on a school trip next year and I'll probably allow her to go, I'm just having trouble thinking this through. She's a bit immature in some ways but the trip is also a full year away. The trip is to NYC, which is abroad for us. My husband has been to NYC but I never have. I haven't spoken with him about it yet, but will after he finishes work for the day.
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Depends on the kid. I have one kid who would want us to go with him. The other two would not and they'd probably fine. One of my kids is a little wild tries to skirt every rule she can.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

School trip I would. A girl friend and I went biking around France alone when we were 15. I don't know what my parents were thinking but it made for an interesting conversation with my daughter when she was 15 and wanted to hike the AT alone, lol.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Is this a guided excursion with adults who know the neighborhoods? If so, then yes. NYC is a great experience for teens. I take our family's teens and their friends there for day trips and weekends on a regular basis. We use the subways and buses to get around, walk for miles in the parks, and go to museums and plays.

I also go on my own to meet friends for day trips and events.
sarah824
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

DS went on a school trip to Virginia, DC, Philly and NYC when he was in 8th grade and loved everything about it. There were a few parent chaperones and a teacher from the middle school with about 25 kids. They all still talk about what a great trip it was. Not abroad for us, but as we are in Oregon it was almost as far as you could get from home without leaving the country. They were gone for a week.

DD was supposed to go her 8th grade year, but covid....
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

As long as there were trusted adults chaperoning at all times unles the teens go as group to certain things, I would say yes.
just an old coot 😉🌵
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It depends on the kid. I know this is a different circumstance, but both my sons went to a high school yeshivah abroad when they were 15. My oldest, now 20 had some difficulties, plus covid slashed half of that experience, but he did OK. He’s now here in college. My youngest is now 17, a senior and he thrived amazingly. He’s thinking of staying one more year after graduation in a program the yeshivah offers.
Depending on the child, it can be an amazing experience
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Depends on the kid and what group it's with. Do I trust the adults in charge? My kids are homeschooled so it wouldn't be a school trip without me going. I'd be much more likely to allow my 13 year old than my 16 year old though.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Depends on how large the group is, how many chaperones, how responsible is my kid, what's the current state of things there (has there been an uptick of crime) etc. My eldest would have been a hell no (unless someone I knew was one of the chaperones). My youngest is more responsible so chances are more than likely yes regardless.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

If it was a school trip and they wanted to go sure. I'm pretty free range though
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic