Well that's a strange name

Heyteacher
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I highly doubt she was embarrassed but rather reacting to the ignorant adults around her. She has been called by her name since birth so why would she suddenly be embarrassed now?

As for the oddness-perhaps her parent are Star Trek fan and named her for that character. Perhaps her mother was the seventh daughter or perhaps she is. Instead of being judgemental embrace the differences in life.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Also "Seven" was a baby name in an episode of Seinfield back in the 90's - when the show was hugely popular. I'm surprised the name isn't more common. Look how popular "Madison" became as a girl's name after the movie Splash came out in 80's.

Aside from it being a common name or not, it is never OK to react negatively to anyone's name, especially a child. Someone in the position to host or officiate a children's performance event should be able to handle something like this with tact.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/seinfeld ... 3259aca99f
Anonymous 5

Unread post

I hated when people in America would make rude comments about my name when I was a kid. It's different because it's cultural 'y'all'.
Deleted User 2267

Unread post

It’s from a Seinfeld episode…
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Isn’t there a character in divergent named seven?
Anyway, I’m not crazy about the name but not my kid.
I met a kid named crayola. I think that’s a terrible name to stick on a kid.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I'm sure your name is strange to other people. So what? I also don't think she was embarrassed about her name as much as she was for the adults not understanding her.
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I actually kind of like it. Much better than three.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:51 am I hated when people in America would make rude comments about my name when I was a kid. It's different because it's cultural 'y'all'.
I know, I have said that I knew a girl named Sevin, and it was NOT from a Seinfeld episode. It is a Turkish name

Sevin is a common feminine Turkish given name. In Turkish, "Sevin" means "Love her!" and/or "Rejoice!". "Love her" or "Rejoice!" Sevin is also a Kurdish feminine name, derived from the Kurdish word Sev which means apple.

One of my closest friends name is Ayita, people have made a lot of snide comments about it, she even had a coworker tell her that her parents should have given her a "proper" name and not a made up name. She is Native Canadian and it is a traditional name meaning - first to dance. Her sisters name is Kasa, people really need to just stop talking about the names as some of them are traditional to other countries.

Did you see what happened to the Hockey Player for Vegas. The reporter insulted his last name - Whitecloud, and compared it to toilet paper. Talk about a insult. Amazing hockey player, has done so much for his community and this reporter takes all that away by doing this instead of recognizing his accomplishments. Just like the OP, this little girl was up there receiving a accomplishment and all the OP is talking about is her name. Not the fact that the little girl was an amazing dancer and deserved the overall, but how the OP thinks the name is strange.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

I have a unique name. I hate it. I asked my dad once if he was mad at me when he named me. My middle name.is no better otherwise, I would have gone by it as an adult. I did think of changing it, but I guess it's who I am now.
I feel bad for kids that get different names. I was so very careful when naming my kids.

People mix my name up with other names. I got "you are joking right?" So many times. Even adults reading my name on paperwork will give me a side eye look when reading my name.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:43 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:15 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:09 pm

When asked her name she put her head down when she said it and her ears were turning red (her face was covered with makeup). It was pretty obvious she was embarrassed. Everyone thought she was saying her age and misunderstood.
Or maybe she’s shy and was embarrassed in general about speaking in from of everyone. I’ve met a lot of kids with a lot of strange names, to the kids it’s normal, I doubt a little kid is going to be embarrassed about her name, especially when it’s honestly a pretty heard of name.
You weren't there. She was up there smiling and looking at the audience when she answered other questions it was just her name she did this.
I have never, ever heard the name seven and I have worked with a lot of children.
I've worked with a lot kids being a child care provider for over 20 years and have had 2 kids names Seven/Sevin. Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean shit.
Locked Previous topicNext topic