Former Gun Company Executive Explains Roots of America’s Gun Violence Epidemic

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Fear of "terrorism" may have been a factor but it's only one. Gun sales very slightly increased after 9/11 but have mushroomed as the emphasis on terrorism has waned.

I think some of it was also vapid racism, but I think until recently the increase in gun sales has mostly been driven by fear of gun control. When Trump came in to office the fear of gun control waned, and gun sales dropped. When the pandemic/looming Democratic takeover arrived, sales skyrocketed.

The NRA made a conscious choice to stoke that fear.
Deleted User 2267

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:50 am Fear of "terrorism" may have been a factor but it's only one. Gun sales very slightly increased after 9/11 but have mushroomed as the emphasis on terrorism has waned.

I think some of it was also vapid racism, but I think until recently the increase in gun sales has mostly been driven by fear of gun control. When Trump came in to office the fear of gun control waned, and gun sales dropped. When the pandemic/looming Democratic takeover arrived, sales skyrocketed.

The NRA made a conscious choice to stoke that fear.
There are only about 4.3 million members of the NRA now. As gun ownership was skyrocketing, membership in the NRA was fast declining.

The pandemic did have a huge impact though, 60 million guns bought because people thought all hell was going to break loose.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Bobcobbagob wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:36 am
Della wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:21 am
Bobcobbagob wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:00 am

People started buying a lot more guns because in Obama’s terms there was an extremely elevated environment of fear catapulted by terrorism.
"That explosion was the future Black president leading in the polls in 2007. And then Barack Obama won in 2008. So you have this sort of uncapping of hate and conspiracy, much of it racially driven,"
Yes… the writer thinks that.

What do you think?

Is it more plausible that vapid racism led to the massive armament of America, or do you think the frequency of terror attacks and threats increased the fear Americans felt leading them to increase the amount of perceived protection they had available to them ?
It is more plausible that people were driven by vapid racism whether you will admit it or not. This Iran bullshit you brought up is just that... bullshit.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Deleted User 2267

Unread post

Della wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:00 pm
Bobcobbagob wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:36 am
Della wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:21 am

"That explosion was the future Black president leading in the polls in 2007. And then Barack Obama won in 2008. So you have this sort of uncapping of hate and conspiracy, much of it racially driven,"
Yes… the writer thinks that.

What do you think?

Is it more plausible that vapid racism led to the massive armament of America, or do you think the frequency of terror attacks and threats increased the fear Americans felt leading them to increase the amount of perceived protection they had available to them ?
It is more plausible that people were driven by vapid racism whether you will admit it or not. This Iran bullshit you brought up is just that... bullshit.
Ok.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

"What no other society has had is 425 million guns and this culture, on the right, that tells young men that to be real young men, they must purchase an AR-15 and go out and solve their problems. The industry 15 years ago would not even allow the AR-15 to be used or displayed at its own trade shows. I mean, they were locked up in a corner. You had to have military or police credentials to even go in there. Now, they’re spread around like crazy, and the marketing campaigns are so aimed at young men that in some ways, it’s not shocking that Uvalde or Buffalo or [the July 4 shooting at a parade in the Chicago suburb of] Highland Park, all three heinous crimes, all three committed with AR-15s, all by very young men. It’s not shocking to me that those happen; it’s shocking to me that they don’t happen every day."
306/232

Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Freaking weirdos from hollyweird move to a place they call the south, acting all Red Dawn and shit 🤣🤣🤣🤣
306/232

Deleted User 2267

Unread post

Della wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:51 pm Freaking weirdos from hollyweird move to a place they call the south, acting all Red Dawn and shit 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Your obsession with attempting to talk shit about me is getting to a level that I’m worried about how healthily you’re dealing with your real life.

It seems like you’re using me as a release… I hope you feel better soon.
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Racism from a black President which the NRA stoked. Added is the media with “Obama is not a U.S. citizen.” Repubs stoked the “Obama is a terrorist and/or funding terrorists” which also divided the country more.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Looking back on it, electing the first Black president made ALL of these extremist lose their damn minds and sparked issues with white supremacy/bigotry on both sides of the aisle.

The far right was pissed that Obama was Black and the far left ramped up exploiting minorities for a sense of superiority. It’s been divide, conquer, shame to force political views down everyone’s throats and controlling how voters think for control.

It’s not just one party or political party’s fault because both sides are just feeding off each others.

You can’t build a country off that mentality and expect a peaceful nation. I don’t see this getting better as long as holding both sides responsible is considered a bad thing.
Locked Previous topicNext topic