Would someone not having a credit score be a red flag?

Anonymous 5

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:51 am I’m shocked that this many adults don’t know how important a good credit score is.
I'm shocked that so many people assume everyone likes to travel and rent cars.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:50 am
MonarchMom wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:00 am
Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:51 am I’m shocked that this many adults don’t know how important a good credit score is.
It is most significant if you want a mortgage or car loan, which not everyone uses. But it can also be used to verify your status when renting an apartment, getting car insurance, or on some job applications.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/fina ... r-checking
Or getting cable set up, or internet set up, I mean the instances you need a credit score are endless. Fact is without one, you will have paid much more for bills and services by the end of your life than someone with a good credit score and have had much less chances to build income.
In some ways it is a predatory system because credit scores are used to keep the poorer people poor and help the richer people get richer. But if you want to end up as a rich person without just being handed a large inheritance, a good credit score is a necessity.
Where do you live where they check your credit score for utilities? I've never had mine checked for that before.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Inmybizz wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:44 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:31 am
Inmybizz wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:25 am Not a red flag. If he’s doing his thing without credit cards or score that’s cool. However, I would think a zero credit score or no CC would hinder his ability to get a loan, rent cars and all the other things. How does he get around that?
What does he do to earn his money?

I have never been able to rent a car without a CC or hold a hotel reservation. Some businesses would not accept a debit card only a CC.

I switched cable services I was surprised I needed a CC and light credit check was done. It’s cable not a million dollar loan. Lol!
It has never hindered him in anything. He would just buy something outright and would never want to take out a loan.
That’s cool! What line of work is he in?
He's an engineer.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:45 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:33 am
I always thought it was super important but it really isn't if you never want to take out a loan or be in any debt.
Or get a good job, or get internet, or get cable, or rent an apartment, or make money by spending money, or have your purchases insured, or have the same identity protection that a credit card offers vs. a debit card, or have the same theft protection that a credit card has vs a debit card, or ever get security clearance should you need it, or get the better rates when traveling.
It’s extremely important; not just for debt and loans but for your ability to look trustworthy on paper.
He has a great job and internet. I'm not sure what perk his bank provides for debit cards. I know my credit card has slightly better rewards points and cash back than my debit but not by much. He also has pretty high level security clearance and has worked for the government in the past.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Bobcobbagob wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:09 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:35 am
Bobcobbagob wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:09 am A credit score is how banks know how dependable you are
No credit and bad credit is seen as the same thing.
You have to have a good credit score to get a good interest rate.

Interest rate is how much you have to pay the bank for acquiring the loan.
If you have a good score, you can buy a house for $350,000, get an interest rate of 15% and end up paying $402,500 by the time the loan is paid off. If you have a bad credit score they’ll charge you a 29% interest rate and you’ll end up paying $451,500 by the end of the loan.

A good credit score will save you a lot of money. And this goes for ANYTHING that has a variable interest rate attached…. Houses, cars, phones, on the rare occasion medical debt, student loans…
He doesn't take out loans and would never want to so a credit score isn't something helpful for him.
Ok… but he pays a lot more for basic living than someone with a good credit score does.

If he’s that wealthy, having a good credit score can help him keep more of his wealth.

Even something as basic as internet…or cell phone service…on paper hes living like someone who is just making it paycheck to paycheck regardless of what his actual financial reality is… sad to say they have to pay more for just about everything than someone who has healthy credit.

Think of it this way… if he opens up a bank account with nothing in it, then both spends $200,000 a year and funds the account with $200,000 a year… if he uses a debit card only his account will have $0 in it at the end of the year.

If he uses a credit card with a 3% cash back rate that account would have $6000 in it by the end of the year. Keep that up for ten years and you have $60,000 in savings and you can fund your kid’s entire college education just from the amount of money you were given back…
He pays the same for internet as I do. We have the same plan and it costs the same. No idea about his phone but the bill isn't outrageous. I will say that my credit card has more Cashback than my debit but not by much. I'm not sure what perks his bank offers.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Inmybizz wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:51 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:35 am
Bobcobbagob wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:09 am A credit score is how banks know how dependable you are
No credit and bad credit is seen as the same thing.
You have to have a good credit score to get a good interest rate.

Interest rate is how much you have to pay the bank for acquiring the loan.
If you have a good score, you can buy a house for $350,000, get an interest rate of 15% and end up paying $402,500 by the time the loan is paid off. If you have a bad credit score they’ll charge you a 29% interest rate and you’ll end up paying $451,500 by the end of the loan.

A good credit score will save you a lot of money. And this goes for ANYTHING that has a variable interest rate attached…. Houses, cars, phones, on the rare occasion medical debt, student loans…
He doesn't take out loans and would never want to so a credit score isn't something helpful for him.
That’s cool if he can live like that. What does he do for a living?
He's an engineer
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:08 pm And what job does he have that allows him to purchase multiple homes and cars in cash constantly? You won't answer that.
Engineer
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Inmybizz wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:00 pm
Anonymous 4 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:08 pm And what job does he have that allows him to purchase multiple homes and cars in cash constantly? You won't answer that.
I know.. I’ve asked twice. I’m going to go with cardiologist.
Uh, you do realize not everyone just sits on here all day right? I responded to your comments when I saw them .
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:30 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:33 am

I always thought it was super important but it really isn't if you never want to take out a loan or be in any debt.
Or get a good job, or get internet, or get cable, or rent an apartment, or make money by spending money, or have your purchases insured, or have the same identity protection that a credit card offers vs. a debit card, or have the same theft protection that a credit card has vs a debit card, or ever get security clearance should you need it, or get the better rates when traveling.
It’s extremely important; not just for debt and loans but for your ability to look trustworthy on paper.
He has a great job and internet. I'm not sure what perk his bank provides for debit cards. I know my credit card has slightly better rewards points and cash back than my debit but not by much. He also has pretty high level security clearance and has worked for the government in the past.
Then he’s lying to you.
You cannot have high level security clearance in the US government without good credit. Without it you are considered too much of a risk.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:49 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:30 pm

Then he’s lying to you.
You cannot have high level security clearance in the US government without good credit. Without it you are considered too much of a risk.
That is not true. Even people with bad credit can get clearance depending on what caused the bad credit.

Also I know he isn't lying because I know the job he worked and I've seen his credit score.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic