Not all black people are African American

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I hate being called that. I'm black. I'm not African, I'm not American, just black.

I live in a town that has a lot of tourism and this time of year lots of Americans are here and so many people use that terminology. At first I thought the stupidity was funny but now it is just annoying. How can anyone with a working brain think ALL black people want to be called African American? It's just dumb. #first world problems
Deleted User 2267

Unread post

Are you somewhere other than America?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Bobcobbagob wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:00 pm Are you somewhere other than America?
Yes. I did live in America in the past and people said that all the time which made more sense. But it makes no sense to use it when you aren't even in America 🤣
Anonymous 2

Unread post

People don't know what to say anymore because everyone has to be pc and not offensive. Blame black people who are African American for you feeling offended. Not confused white people.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

It is just an adjective, not a definition. In the US, the majority of Black persons have lineage to the African continent. Some directly, many indirectly via Caribbean Island ancestry. So many people use the African-American term to describe people with heritage from the African and American continents. That includes Central and South America - not just the US.

If you have a preferred way to describe yourself - if any description is needed - then just let people know. That is how most folks learn and improve their social interactions.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

True. I had a teacher at college here in Mexico that was Jamaican. He said “I’m not African and I’m not American”. So as “PC” as the term was back then, it does seem quite limited and self centered. It doesn’t embrace all the members of that race.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:04 pm
Bobcobbagob wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:00 pm Are you somewhere other than America?
Yes. I did live in America in the past and people said that all the time which made more sense. But it makes no sense to use it when you aren't even in America 🤣
How strange. Where do you live that people say you're African American? I have friends who are of Senegalese descent and never in my life would I call them African American.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:27 pm People don't know what to say anymore because everyone has to be pc and not offensive. Blame black people who are African American for you feeling offended. Not confused white people.
You the op?
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:56 pm How can anyone with a working brain think ALL black people want to be called African American?
Short of going up to an individual and asking their personal preferred terminology, what would you suggest?

There have been polls, but the answer has changed significantly from
1969 : https://news.gallup.com/vault/315566/ga ... label.aspx
to
2021 : https://news.gallup.com/poll/353000/no- ... dults.aspx
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:34 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:56 pm How can anyone with a working brain think ALL black people want to be called African American?
Short of going up to an individual and asking their personal preferred terminology, what would you suggest?

There have been polls, but the answer has changed significantly from
1969 : https://news.gallup.com/vault/315566/ga ... label.aspx
to
2021 : https://news.gallup.com/poll/353000/no- ... dults.aspx
I would suggest not calling people who are not African or American, African American. No intelligent person would think a black person in the UK would want to be called African American.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic