Boys in dance & old CM members

LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

So I was sitting at my son’s dance class yesterday, and thought about RED BOTTOMS!

I recall her posting about her son who enjoyed & was a talented dancer. I remember back then, I could not relate because I could not imagine my sons enjoying dance.

Yet here I am, with my son totally enjoying dance, lol. He’s the only male in some of his classes, I am guessing, it is because he is starting this hobby really late & gender norms in teen years discourage males from dancing? Idk.So all you dance moms — there a lot of males in the performances you attend?

And I wonder if Red Bottoms is still a dance mom? Lol.
Gorilla_Mama
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My dd goes to a tiny studio but we do have 1 boy dancer. He’s still young, I’d guess around 6 but he’s not in dds class so I’m not sure. He seemed to enjoy himself at the recital.

What type of dance is your ds doing? Didn’t redbottom’s ds do ballet or lyrical?
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Gorilla_Mama wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:32 am My dd goes to a tiny studio but we do have 1 boy dancer. He’s still young, I’d guess around 6 but he’s not in dds class so I’m not sure. He seemed to enjoy himself at the recital.

What type of dance is your ds doing? Didn’t redbottom’s ds do ballet or lyrical?
What age is your DD?

DS is doing ballet, jazz, & hip-hop. I was a bit surprised that the activity is still female gender dominated, even in 2023? KWIM?

Red bottom’s son did tap right?, but I think he was ballet too, but I was never a dancer nor did my kids at that age, so the comments just did not “stick”.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

My daughter is a competition dancer and the average competition we go to has 1-2 male dancers and hundreds of females. Her studio is trying to pull in boys with boys only classes but I'm not sure how many boys are in them.
Gorilla_Mama
Regent
Regent

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:41 am
Gorilla_Mama wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:32 am My dd goes to a tiny studio but we do have 1 boy dancer. He’s still young, I’d guess around 6 but he’s not in dds class so I’m not sure. He seemed to enjoy himself at the recital.

What age is your DD?

DS is doing ballet, jazz, & hip-hop. I was a bit surprised that the activity is still female gender dominated, even in 2023? KWIM?

Red bottom’s son did tap right?, but I think he was ballet too, but I was never a dancer nor did my kids at that age, so the comments just did not “stick”.
Tap does sound right. My dd is 11 and does jazz and acro.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Two of our nephews have done jazz and hip-hop for many years. They are musical and also perform original songs, dance with a group and post on You Tube.
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

My son isn't in dance but one of his best friends is a boy and does ballet.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:26 am My daughter is a competition dancer and the average competition we go to has 1-2 male dancers and hundreds of females. Her studio is trying to pull in boys with boys only classes but I'm not sure how many boys are in them.
There is such a stigma. My son’s friends tease him that he is gay and he should get some real balls. And these are guys he hangs with all the time…he feels there is a lot more pressure for males to participate in perceived masculine activities vs. females. He has several female friends that wrestle and people say “that’s awesome, kick their ass.” But when the same people hear he loves theater & dance & choir, they say, “dude what’s wrong with you? You don’t’ ‘look’ like you would. You were aw some at soccer & track.” Even his own grandmother.?!?

So yea, not surprised at those anecdotal numbers!! I suspect it’s like that most places…
Anonymous 1

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:41 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:26 am My daughter is a competition dancer and the average competition we go to has 1-2 male dancers and hundreds of females. Her studio is trying to pull in boys with boys only classes but I'm not sure how many boys are in them.
There is such a stigma. My son’s friends tease him that he is gay and he should get some real balls. And these are guys he hangs with all the time…he feels there is a lot more pressure for males to participate in perceived masculine activities vs. females. He has several female friends that wrestle and people say “that’s awesome, kick their ass.” But when the same people hear he loves theater & dance & choir, they say, “dude what’s wrong with you? You don’t’ ‘look’ like you would. You were aw some at soccer & track.” Even his own grandmother.?!?

So yea, not surprised at those anecdotal numbers!! I suspect it’s like that most places…
Yep my son refuses to dance because of it. He does crossfit and he's on a mountain biking team but my dad still throws a fit that he needs to do something like baseball, soccer, basketball, or football. He has zero interest and what does it matter if he plays those or not?
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My daughters danced (one still does) and we have run into many male dancers at competitions. My one daughter still does Highland Dance and I find more boys in this style of dance than when she did her other dance competition.
Locked Previous topicNext topic