Lawyers for 12-Year-Old Sue Middleboro Over School's Refusal to Let Him Wear Controversial Shirt

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

A 12-year-old Massachusetts boy's controversial T-shirt and his middle school's decision not to let him wear it have led to a lawsuit against the town of Middleboro.

Attorneys for Liam Morrison, a seventh-grader at Nichols Middle School, appeared in court Wednesday after filing the lawsuit on his behalf.

In March, Morrison wore a shirt reading "There are only two genders" to the school and was told to change. The school said that he was violating its dress code, and the principal told Morrison other students had complained about it.
https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/la ... t/3057959/
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Grooming children
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Deleted User 2267

Unread post

You can’t wear shirts designed to piss people off in school…

Never have been.

Kids literally fight each other when they get pissed off and schools don’t want to deal with that environment… nor should they. I support uniforms personally…
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Schools just need to do with uniforms and be done with it. I’m over seeing these kids caught in the middle of political drama and spitting contests because all they see is adults doing it.
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Bobcobbagob wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:45 am You can’t wear shirts designed to piss people off in school…

Never have been.

Kids literally fight each other when they get pissed off and schools don’t want to deal with that environment… nor should they. I support uniforms personally…
Would he be banned for wearing a shirt that said, "There Are More Than Two Genders."?
The suit alleges selective enforcement. The school allegedly has allowed BLM and Pride stuff but not this.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Lexy wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:11 am
Bobcobbagob wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:45 am You can’t wear shirts designed to piss people off in school…

Never have been.

Would he be banned for wearing a shirt that said, "There Are More Than Two Genders."?
The suit alleges selective enforcement. The school allegedly has allowed BLM and Pride stuff but not this.
Interesting question... I was curious what the school dress code says specifically.

From what I read the school has a policy of no "hate speech" on clothing, and saw this in violation of that rule. Inclusive speech, which is what Pride symbols strive for, seems to me quite different from a slogan that asserts certain people do not have a right to be acknowledged. Of course people can interpret any phrase as an insult to themselves if they want to feel victimized.

I think courts have already ruled students do not have the right to free speech on public school grounds, and the school boards can make policy around what can be said, worn or published within the school. Most likely that is to protect students and also the school from being sued if a student is harassed.
The district's dress code says that, “Clothing must not state, imply, or depict hate speech or imagery that target groups based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious affiliation, or any other classification.”
https://www.enterprisenews.com/story/ne ... 229437007/
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Never have been.

That’s my thing/frustration about this.

One side didnt want to trust science when it came to Covid but it applies to gender. The other side wanted to trust science when it comes to covid but not when it comes to gender.

Rules can’t be based on political views/leaning because it is too subjective. Either these kids are allowed to express their views or they aren’t.

As someone who had to grow up fast, kids need to enjoy being kids, not political bullhorns for adults.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:18 am

Never have been.

One side didnt want to trust science when it came to Covid but it applies to gender. The other side wanted to trust science when it comes to covid but not when it comes to gender.

Rules can’t be based on political views/leaning because it is too subjective. Either these kids are allowed to express their views or they aren’t.

As someone who had to grow up fast, kids need to enjoy being kids, not political bullhorns for adults.
I don't remember kids wearing political stuff back when I was in school. The only thing, imo, that seems to have changed is parents pushing their politics on kids.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:18 am

Never have been.

I agree that kids don't need to be used as ammunition in adults political squabbles.

Science does not point to the conclusion of only two genders. There are at least 10 different markers for genetic sexual development, including chromosomes, hormones, gonads, exterior presentation, interior organs, and the body's ability to utilize hormones. This leads to a spectrum of gender variety in humans, with most people falling at one or the other end of the curve - but quite a few along the curve.
S*x Redefined: The Idea of 2 Sexes Is Overly Simplistic

Biologists now think there is a larger spectrum than just binary female and male.
S*x can be much more complicated than it at first seems. According to the simple scenario, the presence or absence of a Y chromosome is what counts: with it, you are male, and without it, you are female. But doctors have long known that some people straddle the boundary—their S*x chromosomes say one thing, but their gonads (ovaries or testes) or sexual anatomy say another.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... mplistic1/
Locked Previous topicNext topic