In her own words; Dame Judy Dench…

Deleted User 2267

Unread post

In her own words;
Judi Dench
"Don’t prioritise your looks my friend, as they won’t last the journey.
Your sense of humor though, will only get better with age.
Your intuition will grow and expand like a majestic cloak of wisdom.
Your ability to choose your battles, will be fine-tuned to perfection.
Your capacity for stillness, for living in the moment, will blossom.
Your desire to live each and every moment will transcend all other wants.
Your instinct for knowing what (and who) is worth your time, will grow and flourish like ivy on a castle wall.
Don’t prioritise your looks my friend,
they will change forevermore, that pursuit is one of much sadness and disappointment.
Prioritise the uniqueness that make you you, and the invisible magnet that draws in other like-minded souls to dance in your orbit.
These are the things which will only get better."
C6397ECF-7D85-4892-AA89-878C7F565891.jpeg
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I mean, I agree in concept, but it’s an idealistic view of society. A lot of society will judge you and give you privilege based on your looks. She likely would have never gotten where she is and no one would have ever heard of her if it weren’t for her looks. I’m not saying at all that she doesn’t have talent, intellect, etc but a lot of very talented people get put to the side if they don’t fit “the look.” It would be like if the Kardashians said “money doesn’t really matter.” I firmly believe that society should judge you based on your character and what you give, not how you look, and I teach my kids that their minds and their kindness are more important, but society is cruel and doesn’t always reflect that.
Deleted User 2267

Unread post

It’s not a commentary on society, it’s a discussion of how you view yourself.
Olioxenfree wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:55 pm I mean, I agree in concept, but it’s an idealistic view of society. A lot of society will judge you and give you privilege based on your looks. She likely would have never gotten where she is and no one would have ever heard of her if it weren’t for her looks. I’m not saying at all that she doesn’t have talent, intellect, etc but a lot of very talented people get put to the side if they don’t fit “the look.” It would be like if the Kardashians said “money doesn’t really matter.” I firmly believe that society should judge you based on your character and what you give, not how you look, and I teach my kids that their minds and their kindness are more important, but society is cruel and doesn’t always reflect that.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Very nice message.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

It's nice but written by Donna Ashworth, not Dame Judi Dench.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Sadly, our modern western society is vey ageist and focused on looks. I’ve seen here so many posts about dismissing your elderly parents with crap like “well, they should’ve prepared for this!” and “it’s not my responsibility!!” And it seems so sad to me. Maybe it’s because I come from 2 very family oriented traditions- Jewish and Latino- that I can’t wrap my mind around dumping my elderly parents and just forget about them, to not feel a sense of responsibility.
Having said that, I think that’s why people in modern western society can’t age with grace and dignity: because they’re made to feel that they’re useless, a nuisance, someone who brings in more problems than a good thing when they’re elderly. Until we learn to give value to something more than beauty, we’re stuck in Shallowland and missing on so much… maybe it’s a cliché, but with age comes wisdom.
It’s a fact that beauty isn’t that much in the eye of the beholder. We’re biologically programmed to see certain characteristics as attractive, sometimes without consciously knowing. Like our perception of symmetry. But we also have something more, we have the capacity to see beyond looks and we should start embracing it more. And that’s a message that should get out there.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

My mom is nearly 80 years old and still frets about her weight- and not because she worries about her health. She pursued other things- she had an amazing career. She raised two successful kids. She taught me to be independent and to have ambition in life. But she also was very concerned with looks, always talking down on herself, always felt as though her looks were the greatest sum of what she could offer the world. And she taught that to her kids, too. I love my mom but that's one cycle I want to break with my kids. That is one of the reasons why I wear so much less make up these days. It's also the reason why I work out and am trying to get in shape- because even if my body never looks like what our society thinks it should, I will celebrate what it can do and I want to make sure it can do all of those things for as long as possible. I'm trying so hard to embrace aging and become comfortable with my fine lines and grey hair as they show up.

I don't want to feel beautiful and worthy in spite of those things, but because of those things.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I wish I had learned that as a small child.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:55 pm I mean, I agree in concept, but it’s an idealistic view of society. A lot of society will judge you and give you privilege based on your looks. She likely would have never gotten where she is and no one would have ever heard of her if it weren’t for her looks. I’m not saying at all that she doesn’t have talent, intellect, etc but a lot of very talented people get put to the side if they don’t fit “the look.” It would be like if the Kardashians said “money doesn’t really matter.” I firmly believe that society should judge you based on your character and what you give, not how you look, and I teach my kids that their minds and their kindness are more important, but society is cruel and doesn’t always reflect that.
She was a Shakespearean actress (in roles like Lady Macbeth) long before she became "M" in the James Bond franchise. Yes, there fewer stage acting roles for men or women who can't look reasonable, but it doesn't require the looks demanded by the film industry of young leading ladies.

Dame Judi Dench has told how she was once late for lunch with the head of MI6 - because the driver sent by the intelligence service could not find where to pick her up.

The actor, who played the agency's fictional chief, M, in seven James Bond movies, had been invited to its London HQ to meet her real-life counterpart, Sir David Spedding.

But in an interview for BBC Radio 4's Today programme, she said she was issued with a special driver whose bungling led to her being 45 minutes late.

She was interviewed by Dame Eliza Manningham-Buller, the former head of MI5 who guest-edited the programme on Friday.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Aletheia wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:43 am
She was a Shakespearean actress (in roles like Lady Macbeth) long before she became "M" in the James Bond franchise. Yes, there fewer stage acting roles for men or women who can't look reasonable, but it doesn't require the looks demanded by the film industry of young leading ladies.

Dame Judi Dench has told how she was once late for lunch with the head of MI6 - because the driver sent by the intelligence service could not find where to pick her up.

The actor, who played the agency's fictional chief, M, in seven James Bond movies, had been invited to its London HQ to meet her real-life counterpart, Sir David Spedding.

But in an interview for BBC Radio 4's Today programme, she said she was issued with a special driver whose bungling led to her being 45 minutes late.

She was interviewed by Dame Eliza Manningham-Buller, the former head of MI5 who guest-edited the programme on Friday.
She was an actress for thirty years before James Bond, Im honestly kind of confused of what that has to do with what I said.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic