Have you ever sold your furniture through consignment?

RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I am ready to get rid of my sofa and love seat. They're beautiful- sage leather green with fir wood trim, about 10 years old but in excellent condition- no scrapes, cuts, stains, very cleam. I get a lot of compliments on them. I see similar sets online (both brand new sets and on auction sites for used furniture) for between $2K-$4K. I believe I COULD get as much as $2K for them if I find the right buyer. But I don't want to bother with all that work. I think I would rather get less money for them and have them sell more quickly. They've been on FB marketplace with zero bites, probably because everyone on FB marketplace is just looking for a good deal and they're overpriced for the site (started at $1,500, now at $900).

I have contacted a consignment store which specializes in high end and antique furniture to see if they would take them and for a quote. The store has a 10,000 square foot show room and their website says that the sell 98% of their consigned products for near asking price in 4 months or less. So, consignment furniture has to be pretty popular, right?

I'd just late to drive the couches all the way over there and then get used to my new living room, then have to take the couches back if they don't sell.

Have you ever sold your furniture or bought furniture through consignment? Is this a good idea?
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

If FB marketplace isn't selling then for sure try a consignment shop. The biggest issue I find on FB marketplace for large furniture is transportation. I don't know if you have it listed as YPU or "will deliver" but sometimes just listing one of those options makes a big difference in whether the furniture will sell. It helps people to know if they'll need a truck or if you can drop it off.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Have you tried OfferUp?
I’ve sold baby furniture through a consignment store. I believe it was 60/40 split it was so long ago I don’t remember but I’m sure it was 60/40..my items sold quickly.

What happens to the couches if they don’t sell through consignment?
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Inmybizz wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:54 pm Have you tried OfferUp?
I’ve sold baby furniture through a consignment store. I believe it was 60/40 split it was so long ago I don’t remember but I’m sure it was 60/40..my items sold quickly.

What happens to the couches if they don’t sell through consignment?
Good question. The site says they can be donated or you can schedule a time to pick them up. It doesn't say if you can renew the consignment or not.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic