Female athletes ask to sue over policy allowing transgender athletes to compete in sports

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

A federal appeals court on Tuesday questioned whether a group of female track and field athletes in Connecticut has the right to sue over a policy allowing transgender athletes to compete in girls’ athletic events.

“It is a clear violation when a school or school district knowingly lets sexual discrimination proceed. I don’t think we can say that here,” Judge Denny Chin said.

An attorney for the athletes, John Bursch with the conservative legal group Alliance Defending Freedom, urged the judges on the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals to allow the case to move forward.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/female-athlet ... d=99878569
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Well, as I’ve said before, this should be a scientific issue, decided upon scientific facts, not a social one based on not wanting to offend anyone. And definitely not something to be used for political or social agendas. That’s just using people.
Let’s get those facts first and then make policies. In the meantime, let’s stick with the status quo (biological) boys with the boys, (biological) girls with the girls. Or create a genderless category where boys and girls regardless of gender identity can compete with one another if they wish to.
But you can’t be unfair to a majority just because a handful would feel excluded. Not until we know the scientific facts better.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:11 pm Well, as I’ve said before, this should be a scientific issue, decided upon scientific facts, not a social one based on not wanting to offend anyone. And definitely not something to be used for political or social agendas. That’s just using people.
Let’s get those facts first and then make policies. In the meantime, let’s stick with the status quo (biological) boys with the boys, (biological) girls with the girls. Or create a genderless category where boys and girls regardless of gender identity can compete with one another if they wish to.
But you can’t be unfair to a majority just because a handful would feel excluded. Not until we know the scientific facts better.
Wouldn't the status quo be allowing transgender athletes to compete on the teams they identify? I mean, the Olympics has been allowing that for over 2 decades, the NCAA for over 1 decade, and it has only been recently that that rule has changed in some conservative states with regards to public schools.

I agree that this issue needs to be researched and that in the meantime we should stick with the status quo that was in place prior to the manufactured outrage of the last couple of years.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

No, because the idea of “who do you identify with” is the change from the status quo. It’s a fairly recent idea. You’re talking about a couple of decades, while sporting competition have been going on for centuries- and after women athletes were accepted, there have always been women’s and men’s categories. That’s the status quo. You still see in gymnastics, men and women have different events, and aside from some regional, isolated competitions, have you ever seen a male synchronized swimming team competing in the Olympics? Sports are still very divided by gender because of the fact that physically men and women are different. Biological fact. Now that transgenderism is acknowledged, there are many things to consider. Social changes go faster than proper scientific research, so that’s why there’s this sense of urgency. But patience is a virtue. We have to be absolutely sure that we’re not putting natural female athletes at a disadvantage just because we want to be tolerant and inclusive.

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:32 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:11 pm Well, as I’ve said before, this should be a scientific issue, decided upon scientific facts, not a social one based on not wanting to offend anyone. And definitely not something to be used for political or social agendas. That’s just using people.
Wouldn't the status quo be allowing transgender athletes to compete on the teams they identify? I mean, the Olympics has been allowing that for over 2 decades, the NCAA for over 1 decade, and it has only been recently that that rule has changed in some conservative states with regards to public schools.

I agree that this issue needs to be researched and that in the meantime we should stick with the status quo that was in place prior to the manufactured outrage of the last couple of years.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:54 pm No, because the idea of “who do you identify with” is the change from the status quo. It’s a fairly recent idea. You’re talking about a couple of decades, while sporting competition have been going on for centuries- and after women athletes were accepted, there have always been women’s and men’s categories. That’s the status quo. You still see in gymnastics, men and women have different events, and aside from some regional, isolated competitions, have you ever seen a male synchronized swimming team competing in the Olympics? Sports are still very divided by gender because of the fact that physically men and women are different. Biological fact. Now that transgenderism is acknowledged, there are many things to consider. Social changes go faster than proper scientific research, so that’s why there’s this sense of urgency. But patience is a virtue. We have to be absolutely sure that we’re not putting natural female athletes at a disadvantage just because we want to be tolerant and inclusive.

Athletes weren't screened for gender prior to the 1970s but I would argue that transgender athletes existed prior. Honestly, I thought this was resolved with Renee Richards.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Or create a trans female trans male category.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

cgd5112 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:19 pm Or create a trans female trans male category.
2% of high schoolers identify as transgender, and most high schoolers don’t participate in sports, so there’s are like 1-2 trans kids in a school asking to participate in sports, how can they create a trans category? And what if they want to be seen as athletes, which is completely understandable, and not trans athletes who are only allowed to compete with other trans kids. Are you going to sponsor all these extra teams?
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

2 decades? The first transgender person to be allowed to compete in the Olympics was in 2020 as far as I remember. What other transgender Olympians were there?

Yes, I will admit to double standards if a female or transgender male wants to compete on a male team or division, I have zero issue. BUT I find it rather tone deaf when transgender female want to compete on women’s teams or in women’s divisions. The problem is, we, general, are in a conundrum. We, general, have concerns about puberty blockers and hormone therapy on children BUT unless a person is given these prior to or at onset of puberty the body will develop based on the biological gender at birth. And the changes aren’t significant enough after. The whole point of women’s sports was to give girls and women the equitable opportunity that they would not have competing against boys. And girls sports are still less funded than boys. So as much as it would be great to say inclusion of all, how can we, in good conscience say inclusion of all but cis girls are still less than biologically born males. Because that’s what we are doing.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:45 pm

2 decades? The first transgender person to be allowed to compete in the Olympics was in 2020 as far as I remember. What other transgender Olympians were there?

Yes, I will admit to double standards if a female or transgender male wants to compete on a male team or division, I have zero issue. BUT I find it rather tone deaf when transgender female want to compete on women’s teams or in women’s divisions. The problem is, we, general, are in a conundrum. We, general, have concerns about puberty blockers and hormone therapy on children BUT unless a person is given these prior to or at onset of puberty the body will develop based on the biological gender at birth. And the changes aren’t significant enough after. The whole point of women’s sports was to give girls and women the equitable opportunity that they would not have competing against boys. And girls sports are still less funded than boys. So as much as it would be great to say inclusion of all, how can we, in good conscience say inclusion of all but cis girls are still less than biologically born males. Because that’s what we are doing.
The IOC has allowed for transgender athletes to compete since 2003. 2020 and 2022 were the first Olympic Games to where openly transgender athletes competed. The IOC didn't implement gender verification testing until 1968 so it's impossible to know the birth gender of athletes prior to 1968.

I agree that we need to follow the science but the current science is undecided on whether or not someone who is m-f transgender has a physical advantage over a female cis-gender athlete with some studies showing they do and some they don't.
https://www.cces.ca/sites/default/files ... -final.pdf

If we ban transgender women from sport, there will be no sample group for science to determine whether or not they have an unfair advantage.

I believe that transgender girls and women are in fact, girls and women, not some kind of "other" category so believe that they should be included in girls sports. I also believe that the perceived advantage will scientifically go the way of the "muscle-twitch" gene.
Deleted User 2267

Unread post

Hopefully they win.

Inclusivity shouldn’t make women lose so much… the only women who feel like it doesn’t matter are the ones who don’t care about women’s sports to begin with
Locked Previous topicNext topic