Abbott signs into law CROWN Act banning race-based hair discrimination

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:35 pm
SoFloMom wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:58 am
Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:13 pm Wow! Thanks for enlightening me. I never would’ve thought there’s such a thing as race hair discrimination. That’s so appalling to me! Is there anything haters won’t use to demean others?! It’s freaking HAIR!! Who cares?
Bit then, there’s the whole Jew = big nose crap too.
For my first teaching job, I straightened my hair before the interview. I used to have the misconception that straight hair looked more “professional” (a lot to unpack there)
Well, when I showed up for work my hair was natural. The principal made at least 2 comments that day about it. “I didn’t even recognize you!” “Wow! Your hair looks like that?!” Like bro had never seen curly hair before 🙄🙄
I do not miss those days of fighting with relaxers, straightening combs and grease because natural/curly hair was considered “unkept”.

Wearing my hair curly was so liberating and I love all the healthy hair products on the market now.

”Your hair looks better straight” is what I have gotten a lot.
Oh yes, I’ve gotten the “your hair looks better straight” comment sooo much. I truly believed that when I was younger. I used to be so upset when my parents wouldn’t allow me to chemically straighten my hair. After watching my cousins destroy their hair with relaxers I’m glad they didn’t let me. I’ve learned to embrace and love my curls.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I agree. Ridiculous. And personally, I can’t see any other reason for that than racism, plain and simple. What’s wrong with curly hair, braids or dreads? I personally love curls and I hate the fact that my hair is straight as an arrow. So boring 😒
But I don’t perm it, or even blow dry it because every time it grows long enough, I donate it. And it can’t be treated or colored in any way for that. In fact, just last night I called the friend who collects donated hair because it’s long enough now.
SouthernIslander wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:41 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:13 pm Wow! Thanks for enlightening me. I never would’ve thought there’s such a thing as race hair discrimination. That’s so appalling to me! Is there anything haters won’t use to demean others?! It’s freaking HAIR!! Who cares?
Some schools/employers went as far as banning dreads and braids.

It was ridiculous.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Nah. As I said, I love curly hair!
SoFloMom wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:44 pm

For my first teaching job, I straightened my hair before the interview. I used to have the misconception that straight hair looked more “professional” (a lot to unpack there)
Well, when I showed up for work my hair was natural. The principal made at least 2 comments that day about it. “I didn’t even recognize you!” “Wow! Your hair looks like that?!” Like bro had never seen curly hair before 🙄🙄
I do not miss those days of fighting with relaxers, straightening combs and grease because natural/curly hair was considered “unkept”.

Wearing my hair curly was so liberating and I love all the healthy hair products on the market now.

Oh yes, I’ve gotten the “your hair looks better straight” comment sooo much. I truly believed that when I was younger. I used to be so upset when my parents wouldn’t allow me to chemically straighten my hair. After watching my cousins destroy their hair with relaxers I’m glad they didn’t let me. I’ve learned to embrace and love my curls.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SoFloMom wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:44 pm

I was so self-conscious about it, I didn't embrace my curly hair until my late 20s. I still wear it straight but never looked back on the relaxers or the scalp burns. Now, I can't believe we use to go through all that drama and I'm so glad that time are changing.

I know a few people who are still stuck on their old ways but most are natural now and love it.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:53 pm I agree. Ridiculous. And personally, I can’t see any other reason for that than racism, plain and simple. What’s wrong with curly hair, braids or dreads? I personally love curls and I hate the fact that my hair is straight as an arrow. So boring 😒
But I don’t perm it, or even blow dry it because every time it grows long enough, I donate it. And it can’t be treated or colored in any way for that. In fact, just last night I called the friend who collects donated hair because it’s long enough now.

It was ridiculous.
Ohhh we always want what we don't have don't we? LOL! I thought about donating my hair, but I do color it to cover the gray hair and blow dry it straight occasionally.

It was racist but people did it and got away with it for a very long time. I remember horror stories of teachers cutting braids and dreads out of student's hair and parents rightfully raised hell about it.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Well, I don’t want to make this sound supernatural or anything, but I decided to donate my hair for the first time when my brother was fighting a brain tumor and things didn’t look well. I’m a Orthodox Jew, as you know, so I cover my hair when out in public. We Jews also do good things (mitzvot) in the name of something, so I wanted to do it for his recovery. Unfortunately, by the time my hair was the required length, he had passed away, so I donated it for the full recovery of the cancer patient receiving the wig made from it. And I promised myself that as long as I could donate it, I would. I thought I wouldn’t be able to it long, I was 44 when I did that first time, how long could I go without grey hairs, right? Well, I’ll be 50 this August and I don’t have a single grey hair, it’s unbelievable! Maybe that’s one of my missions in life! 🤷‍♀️ This will be my third time donating. By now I obsessively care for my hair 😁

I still can’t wrap my mind around people complaining about HAIR! That’s ridiculous.
SouthernIslander wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:49 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:53 pm I agree. Ridiculous. And personally, I can’t see any other reason for that than racism, plain and simple. What’s wrong with curly hair, braids or dreads? I personally love curls and I hate the fact that my hair is straight as an arrow. So boring 😒

It was ridiculous.
Ohhh we always want what we don't have don't we? LOL! I thought about donating my hair, but I do color it to cover the gray hair and blow dry it straight occasionally.

It was racist but people did it and got away with it for a very long time. I remember horror stories of teachers cutting braids and dreads out of student's hair and parents rightfully raised hell about it.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:52 pm Well, I don’t want to make this sound supernatural or anything, but I decided to donate my hair for the first time when my brother was fighting a brain tumor and things didn’t look well. I’m a Orthodox Jew, as you know, so I cover my hair when out in public. We Jews also do good things (mitzvot) in the name of something, so I wanted to do it for his recovery. Unfortunately, by the time my hair was the required length, he had passed away, so I donated it for the full recovery of the cancer patient receiving the wig made from it. And I promised myself that as long as I could donate it, I would. I thought I wouldn’t be able to it long, I was 44 when I did that first time, how long could I go without grey hairs, right? Well, I’ll be 50 this August and I don’t have a single grey hair, it’s unbelievable! Maybe that’s one of my missions in life! 🤷‍♀️ This will be my third time donating. By now I obsessively care for my hair 😁

I still can’t wrap my mind around people complaining about HAIR! That’s ridiculous.

I'm 59 and no gray. My mom was 100 with just a few barely seeable gray around her ears. As she lay dying if I was on her backside I would just sit and marvel how brown her hair was at 100. My siblings don't have much gray either.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

So maybe genetics plays a part? I’m adopted, so I can’t go by my family on this. It just seems that every woman around me that are even younger than me, color their hair and when I say I have no grey hairs they look at me as if that’s not possible! 😂
But I guess it is! Cool!
Carpy wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:42 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:52 pm Well, I don’t want to make this sound supernatural or anything, but I decided to donate my hair for the first time when my brother was fighting a brain tumor and things didn’t look well. I’m a Orthodox Jew, as you know, so I cover my hair when out in public. We Jews also do good things (mitzvot) in the name of something, so I wanted to do it for his recovery. Unfortunately, by the time my hair was the required length, he had passed away, so I donated it for the full recovery of the cancer patient receiving the wig made from it. And I promised myself that as long as I could donate it, I would. I thought I wouldn’t be able to it long, I was 44 when I did that first time, how long could I go without grey hairs, right? Well, I’ll be 50 this August and I don’t have a single grey hair, it’s unbelievable! Maybe that’s one of my missions in life! 🤷‍♀️ This will be my third time donating. By now I obsessively care for my hair 😁

I'm 59 and no gray. My mom was 100 with just a few barely seeable gray around her ears. As she lay dying if I was on her backside I would just sit and marvel how brown her hair was at 100. My siblings don't have much gray either.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Considering how ass backwards Hot Wheels is, I'm shocked. Glad he did it, but he's still a shit stain.
You were born an original, don't die a copy.
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Example of white privilege
Locked Previous topicNext topic