Married women like alpha males, single women hate alpha males

WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

RIZZY wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:47 am "Alpha male" is a myth that has been debunked time and time again. What you're asking is whether women are more attracted to dominance and whether that preference is affected by their relationship status.

I admit, I'm cliche in some ways. I'm short but I prefer taller men. I also like beards, but only if they're well groomed. I like strong shoulders and the "v" shape on men. I also like deep voices. My husband is a bit on the lanky side but otherwise, he checks all those boxes. But he also does more than grunt when he's feeling uncomfortable emotions. He's comfortable showing a wider range of emotions than simply happiness or anger, most "alpha males" would not. He's dorky, he reads, he lets me do his skincare. Real masculinity, sexy masculinity, encompasses an entire human, not simply being big-strong-protector-angry-man-syndrome.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Do any of you think we have a MTG bitch amongst us.
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

This is false. "Alpha male" is and always has been a psuedo-scientific term and the concept has been debunked for much of the animal kingdom. Here is one example:

https://www.sciencetimes.com/articles/3 ... havior.htm

Bobcobbagob wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:05 pm How are they a myth?

They’re a product of nature found within all mammals who exhibit pronounced sexual dimorphism.
RIZZY wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:47 am "Alpha male" is a myth that has been debunked time and time again. What you're asking is whether women are more attracted to dominance and whether that preference is affected by their relationship status.

I admit, I'm cliche in some ways. I'm short but I prefer taller men. I also like beards, but only if they're well groomed. I like strong shoulders and the "v" shape on men. I also like deep voices. My husband is a bit on the lanky side but otherwise, he checks all those boxes. But he also does more than grunt when he's feeling uncomfortable emotions. He's comfortable showing a wider range of emotions than simply happiness or anger, most "alpha males" would not. He's dorky, he reads, he lets me do his skincare. Real masculinity, sexy masculinity, encompasses an entire human, not simply being big-strong-protector-angry-man-syndrome.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Depends on how you yourself describe a "Alpha Male" for me it is one that is confident, assertive, and takes the lead. But in reality there is no true "Alpha male" because even ones who would be described as "Alpha" know when there is a more experienced or knowledgeable person who should be the leader. Therefore making this person the "alpha" in the situation while the other a follower (for lack of a better word)

Take for instance my son - on a hockey team he is the captain which makes him the leader and motivator of the team. As a result he is the "alpha" of the team. Now in lacrosse he is not a captain, there for not the "alpha" of the team. This is where the myth is debunked, as a true alpha is the leader in all situation, and the only way to remove them is to destroy them.

I look at it more of a personality type, and how that person lives their life the majority of the time.
RIZZY wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:45 am This is false. "Alpha male" is and always has been a psuedo-scientific term and the concept has been debunked for much of the animal kingdom. Here is one example:

They’re a product of nature found within all mammals who exhibit pronounced sexual dimorphism.

Deleted User 2267

Unread post

From your link:

Primate Alpha Males

Despite debunking the alpha male in wolves, the alpha male behavior is a real contempt in some primates. Kathy Jack, a primate behavioral ecologist from Tulane University, studying alpha male behaviors in Capuchin monkeys, says that it would be fairly easy to pick out the alpha male in a group of Capuchin monkeys for anyone.

The male in the group of Capuchins that eats first, whom other monkeys move out of the way for, and lies down for grooming and instantly gets cleaned by others are the marks of the group's alpha male.

Where in some groups, dominance stems from biological changes. Capuchin alpha males normally grow to be the largest in the group. Once a male becomes the alpha, his testosterone levels begin to rise, and his testicles grow large, according to a study published in the journal Hormones and Behavior, entitled "Changes in the Secondary Sexual Adornments of Male Mandrills (Mandrillus sphinx) Are Associated with Gain and Loss of Alpha Status."

Human 'Alpha Male' Behavior

Some manifestations of alpha male behavior in humans might stem from primate attributes. However, using the term as an attribute of relatives to justify the existence of the trait in humans is a debacle. Unlike what many purports, the alpha male isn't an inherent quality. It's an earned status in primates throughout its life, normally after ousting the current male in power or after the existing alpha male dies.

I was never saying being an alpha male was an inherent trait… I think it’s very much a learned societal behavior.
RIZZY wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:45 am This is false. "Alpha male" is and always has been a psuedo-scientific term and the concept has been debunked for much of the animal kingdom. Here is one example:

RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Bobcobbagob wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:10 pm From your link:

Primate Alpha Males

Despite debunking the alpha male in wolves, the alpha male behavior is a real contempt in some primates. Kathy Jack, a primate behavioral ecologist from Tulane University, studying alpha male behaviors in Capuchin monkeys, says that it would be fairly easy to pick out the alpha male in a group of Capuchin monkeys for anyone.

The male in the group of Capuchins that eats first, whom other monkeys move out of the way for, and lies down for grooming and instantly gets cleaned by others are the marks of the group's alpha male.

Where in some groups, dominance stems from biological changes. Capuchin alpha males normally grow to be the largest in the group. Once a male becomes the alpha, his testosterone levels begin to rise, and his testicles grow large, according to a study published in the journal Hormones and Behavior, entitled "Changes in the Secondary Sexual Adornments of Male Mandrills (Mandrillus sphinx) Are Associated with Gain and Loss of Alpha Status."

Some manifestations of alpha male behavior in humans might stem from primate attributes. However, using the term as an attribute of relatives to justify the existence of the trait in humans is a debacle. Unlike what many purports, the alpha male isn't an inherent quality. It's an earned status in primates throughout its life, normally after ousting the current male in power or after the existing alpha male dies.

I was never saying being an alpha male was an inherent trait… I think it’s very much a learned societal behavior.

And even that social trait is not observed across all mammal populations who exhibit pronounced sexual dimorphism, as you first stated. The concept is a myth and it is not very well supported. It is a pseudo scientific term and it is a myth.
Deleted User 2267

Unread post

RIZZY wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:30 pm

Primate Alpha Males

And even that social trait is not observed across all mammal populations who exhibit pronounced sexual dimorphism, as you first stated. The concept is a myth and it is not very well supported. It is a pseudo scientific term and it is a myth.
Perhaps I was wrong by thinking pronounced sexual dimorphism would be an indication… but the link you posted clearly says that it is not a myth within primate populations, and that certain manifestations can be seen in humans… the definition might not be the same as most people assume it is, but that’s not to say it’s a myth.
Deleted User 2267

Unread post

Here’s a good article from Harvard Business Review that goes over the attributes of an Alpha Male as it is more applicable to our modern day society as opposed to Stone Age definitions…

https://hbr.org/2004/05/coaching-the-alpha-male
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Bobcobbagob wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:47 pm

Primate Alpha Males

Perhaps I was wrong by thinking pronounced sexual dimorphism would be an indication… but the link you posted clearly says that it is not a myth within primate populations, and that certain manifestations can be seen in humans… the definition might not be the same as most people assume it is, but that’s not to say it’s a myth.
The scientists who study the phenomena call it a myth. As far as human populations, I definitely agree it is a myth. Alpha male versus Beta male is a false dichotomy, therefore a myth.
Deleted User 2267

Unread post

RIZZY wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 2:02 pm
Bobcobbagob wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:47 pm

The scientists who study the phenomena call it a myth. As far as human populations, I definitely agree it is a myth. Alpha male versus Beta male is a false dichotomy, therefore a myth.
No… “ The scientists “ don’t… there might be certain anthropologists, sociologists or psychologists that do… but many don’t and agree there are alpha males and alpha females in our society and teach this at the university level.

Have you ever heard of Drs Kate Ludeman and Eddie Erlandson? Kathy Jack or Monika Sumra? Reading their works might shine a much brighter light on this than I ever could…
Locked Previous topicNext topic