J.D. Vance says Target ‘decided to wage war’ on customers with Pride Month collection

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

AZOldCoot wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:39 pm
MonarchMom wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:47 pm
AZOldCoot wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:56 pm

Let me preface before I ask a question that as I stated in my first reply in this thread, no one is required to buy these products at Target and apparently now at Kohl's. People can easily....should easily....simply walk by these Pride displays and merchandise, leaving it be for those who are interested in it

That said, what about those who wear MAGA hats and All Lives Matter t-shirts? Should they be left alone IYO as well?
Personally, I make a point to "leave alone" anyone wearing those items. If they are strangers I give them a wide berth and assume we don't see eye-to-eye on politics, since they are announcing their position with the slogans. Likewise if I see those items in a store window display I usually go to another area or shop elsewhere since that is not what I am seeking.

But I do not throw those items on the ground, or video myself insulting or threatening the sales staff, or accuse them of corrupting children with their message.

Also - every major retailer where I live carries some type of Pride items, including Walmart, Michaels, Kohls, Macy's, Joannes, Boscov's, etc. Does anyone know why Target has been singled out? Or is it just very easy to video your outrage in those stores?
I don't have answers for why, at the moment, Target is being...well...targeted.

I also don't agree with the actions people have taken to demonstrate how they feel about Target selling Pride merchandise.

Essentially, I don't agree with tantrum throwing from anyone on any topic.
I think Target is being singled out because a video went viral and started a bunch of mess.

I really wish people would quit putting everything on the internet.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

You can find as many “oh, but that’s different!” rationalizations as you want. Ultimately, it also wasn’t hurting anyone. And yet, people still bitched about it. Didn’t want that display shoved down their throats.
So if they can object to those displays being shoved down their throats just because they don’t share those beliefs, then it’s equally valid if others don’t want other things that go against their beliefs displayed in public.
As I said, what’s good for the goose is good for the gander. I 100% disagree with the way they expressed their objections and roll my eyes at the fact that they felt the need to object, but I have to give them their right to object.
But you ignored my previous question, if a gay person wanted to prevent the sale of “two genders” shirts, are they “self centered”? Or is that perfectly acceptable?
Francee89 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:21 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:37 pm Well, and then there are things like this…

https://newstalkkzrg.com/2022/12/07/a- ... f-lawsuit/

Shouldn’t they just walk by that nativity scene and let it be!?! So yeah, non-Christians are also looking into canceling Christian displays too. It goes both ways.
Francee89 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:42 pm

Would non-Christians demanding that stores stop selling Christmas and Easter merchandise because they don’t celebrate Christmas and Easter be self-centered, in your opinion?

I don’t think Target would ever sell a shirt that said “Two Genders”, as it would go against their stated corporate inclusivity policy, where they identify themselves as LGBT allies: https://corporate.target.com/sustainabi ... ts/lgbtqia.
That’s a dispute over religious displays on public property. No one is (or could) cancel Christian displays on private property. And in this case, it was allowed to stay up with a permit, provided other groups were also allowed to put up their own displays with permits too.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:51 pm You can find as many “oh, but that’s different!” rationalizations as you want. Ultimately, it also wasn’t hurting anyone. And yet, people still bitched about it. Didn’t want that display shoved down their throats.
So if they can object to those displays being shoved down their throats just because they don’t share those beliefs, then it’s equally valid if others don’t want other things that go against their beliefs displayed in public.
As I said, what’s good for the goose is good for the gander. I 100% disagree with the way they expressed their objections and roll my eyes at the fact that they felt the need to object, but I have to give them their right to object.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:37 pm Well, and then there are things like this…

https://newstalkkzrg.com/2022/12/07/a- ... f-lawsuit/

Shouldn’t they just walk by that nativity scene and let it be!?! So yeah, non-Christians are also looking into canceling Christian displays too. It goes both ways.

That’s a dispute over religious displays on public property. No one is (or could) cancel Christian displays on private property. And in this case, it was allowed to stay up with a permit, provided other groups were also allowed to put up their own displays with permits too.
I mean, the fact that it was a potential First Amendment lawsuit due to it being on public property makes it a materially very different set of facts, not a justification, lol. No one could do a thing about it being displayed or shoved down their throats if it was visible in public on private property, and if anyone did, I’d absolutely find them self-centered. Would you? You also haven’t answered: would you find it self centered if a non-Christian thought Target was waging war on them by selling Christmas ornaments?

I also said I found it self centered “to feel personally attacked by marketing or products that aren’t 100% catered to them”. I don’t find it self-centered to dislike products that are offensive because they’re actually explicitly demeaning or insulting, but rainbow merchandise isn’t doing that in this case - it’s something they just disagree with, yet have decided its mere presence is “waging war” on them. You’re obviously free to disagree with me finding that to be an important distinction, but I consider it one!
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I have no problem with people boycotting stores because gosh knows I have a "list" of stores I refuse to go in to and frankly, I'm not afraid to list those stores on my social media (unless they're local businesses). But once you cross the threshold and intimidate staff and customers, you're shit IMO and I don't care if you're on the left or the right. Bomb threats!? Seriously? It's just gotten absurd and I wish more people would feel that. We are a country that is afraid of school shootings, workplace shootings, public places shootings so these nimrods know what they are doing, playing into fear, and they suck.

Just saw some asshole rapper with a piece about Target and is being shared by some of our politicians. I feel strongly if you think this rapper is great and standing up for vulnerable children despite the fact that a previous song was about shooting his girlfriend, duct taping her body in trash bags, and then dumping her in a lake, then you have lost the plot.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:59 pm I have no problem with people boycotting stores because gosh knows I have a "list" of stores I refuse to go in to and frankly, I'm not afraid to list those stores on my social media (unless they're local businesses). But once you cross the threshold and intimidate staff and customers, you're shit IMO and I don't care if you're on the left or the right. Bomb threats!? Seriously? It's just gotten absurd and I wish more people would feel that. We are a country that is afraid of school shootings, workplace shootings, public places shootings so these nimrods know what they are doing, playing into fear, and they suck.

Just saw some asshole rapper with a piece about Target and is being shared by some of our politicians. I feel strongly if you think this rapper is great and standing up for vulnerable children despite the fact that a previous song was about shooting his girlfriend, duct taping her body in trash bags, and then dumping her in a lake, then you have lost the plot.
Which rapper?
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:59 pm I have no problem with people boycotting stores because gosh knows I have a "list" of stores I refuse to go in to and frankly, I'm not afraid to list those stores on my social media (unless they're local businesses). But once you cross the threshold and intimidate staff and customers, you're shit IMO and I don't care if you're on the left or the right. Bomb threats!? Seriously? It's just gotten absurd and I wish more people would feel that. We are a country that is afraid of school shootings, workplace shootings, public places shootings so these nimrods know what they are doing, playing into fear, and they suck.

^^ Is this it??? 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:13 pm

Yup, this guy:

And let me qualify that I'm not into judging music and especially rap, but don't tag onto to this guy as somehow the protector of children from the "rainbow". It makes people look dumb.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:23 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:13 pm

Yup, this guy:

And let me qualify that I'm not into judging music and especially rap, but don't tag onto to this guy as somehow the protector of children from the "rainbow". It makes people look dumb.
I am judging cause that mess is embarrassing to watch. I can’t believe he is serious. 😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

No worries, that’s not what I consider real rap music anyway. Idk what that mess is. Lol
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

As I said, you can rationalize it as you want. Fact is, this was a tradition in this town until some sore butt, anti-Christian person decided to shut it down when it really wasn’t hurting anyone and you could just pass it by and forget about it. Regardless of the “legality” aspect, you said that you found that people who “feel personally attacked by marketing or products that aren’t 100% catered to them” are self centered. Wouldn’t that apply to those bitching about a nativity scene? After all, I seriously doubt that their motivation was civic duty and compliance with the law. Let’s be honest here, their motivation was surely screwing up these Christians who should be” shoving” their crap on everyone else.’
Francee89 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:16 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:51 pm You can find as many “oh, but that’s different!” rationalizations as you want. Ultimately, it also wasn’t hurting anyone. And yet, people still bitched about it. Didn’t want that display shoved down their throats.

I mean, the fact that it was a potential First Amendment lawsuit due to it being on public property makes it a materially very different set of facts, not a justification, lol. No one could do a thing about it being displayed or shoved down their throats if it was visible in public on private property, and if anyone did, I’d absolutely find them self-centered. Would you? You also haven’t answered: would you find it self centered if a non-Christian thought Target was waging war on them by selling Christmas ornaments?

I also said I found it self centered “to feel personally attacked by marketing or products that aren’t 100% catered to them”. I don’t find it self-centered to dislike products that are offensive because they’re actually explicitly demeaning or insulting, but rainbow merchandise isn’t doing that in this case - it’s something they just disagree with, yet have decided its mere presence is “waging war” on them. You’re obviously free to disagree with me finding that to be an important distinction, but I consider it one!
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:46 pm As I said, you can rationalize it as you want. Fact is, this was a tradition in this town until some sore butt, anti-Christian person decided to shut it down when it really wasn’t hurting anyone and you could just pass it by and forget about it. Regardless of the “legality” aspect, you said that you found that people who “feel personally attacked by marketing or products that aren’t 100% catered to them” are self centered. Wouldn’t that apply to those bitching about a nativity scene? After all, I seriously doubt that their motivation was civic duty and compliance with the law. Let’s be honest here, their motivation was surely screwing up these Christians who should be” shoving” their crap on everyone else.’
Francee89 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:16 pm

It wasn’t shut down. They kept it up, with a permit and the confirmation that other religious displays can also go up with permits. The legality of having one religion’s symbols on private property makes this an apples and oranges comparison to what a private business is selling, and I already said I’d find it self centered if someone complained about a Nativity scene they could see on private property. Just like I’d find it self-centered if a non-Christian felt the mere sale of Christmas decorations was “waging war” on them. Would you?
Locked Previous topicNext topic