Do any of you have parent(s) like this?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Since I was a very small child, it was like I knew "my role" of being a caretaker to both parents. I was there for them emotionally, physically, everything. But then when I needed something in my life (like any type of emotional support even when I was in the hospital) they were not there. Their "illnesses" would not make them not at least be there for me emotionally, but they refused to be. Have any of you dealt with this with parent(s) or anyone in your life and if so, what did you do later with the relationship?
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Yep! Look up narcissistic parents - and see if anything seems familiar for you. I was the family scapegoat.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

You may want to read about the dynamics of Narcissistic and dependent parents. The patterns can follow throughout your life, and effect the way you parent as well.

This book is very helpful.
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I'm so sorry you dealt with that. My mom raised us because dad checked out after my triplet sister died when we were 3. I have very few memories of him, but my mom was a good mom. Not perfect, but she did her best.

Best wishes.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

That sucks. I'm sorry that's the hand you were dealt. 😓😓😓
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Anonymous 2

Unread post

KendallsMom wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:39 pm I'm so sorry you dealt with that. My mom raised us because dad checked out after my triplet sister died when we were 3. I have very few memories of him, but my mom was a good mom. Not perfect, but she did her best.

Best wishes.
That must have been awful. I'm sorry. How did she die?
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Mine is like that with my oldest sister. They are only 15 years apart and she treats my sister like a best friend instead of a daughter. She was abusive to me and my siblings, didn't lean on us for support but how dare we show love to our Dad, no, she had to be loved MORE and had to know she was better than him in our eyes.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

mater-three wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:06 pm Yep! Look up narcissistic parents - and see if anything seems familiar for you. I was the family scapegoat.
I was the scapegoat as an adult when I gained weight. When my sister was a kid she was chubby and was the scapegoat. Basically if you were fat then you were treated like dirt..unless you were a boy. Boys could be fat. Not girls.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

carterscutie85 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:28 am
mater-three wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:06 pm Yep! Look up narcissistic parents - and see if anything seems familiar for you. I was the family scapegoat.
I was the scapegoat as an adult when I gained weight. When my sister was a kid she was chubby and was the scapegoat. Basically if you were fat then you were treated like dirt..unless you were a boy. Boys could be fat. Not girls.
I’m sorry. Physical appearance has nothing to do with someone’s worth and character.

My aunt raised us. She was a horrible woman. Anything that she saw as her weakness was projected on me. “I lacked empathy and I had a smart mouth” for example. Neither of those things are true. In fact, when people are upset or hurting, I feel it like it’s my own burden. I hurt for them. It’s heartbreaking for me.

She had tons of “flying monkeys” that believed everything she said. My sister was the “golden child”.

There was a lot more abuse.
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:48 am
KendallsMom wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:39 pm I'm so sorry you dealt with that. My mom raised us because dad checked out after my triplet sister died when we were 3. I have very few memories of him, but my mom was a good mom. Not perfect, but she did her best.

Best wishes.
That must have been awful. I'm sorry. How did she die?
She died of a malignant brain tumor.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic