Shiny Happy People

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

The four-part limited docuseries — which hits Prime Video on June 2 — focuses on the Duggar family’s ties to the controversial religion Institute of Basic Life Principles (IBLP).
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/shi ... 56586.html

Anyone plan on watching this?
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Not sure if I will watch. I am familiar with the teachings of IBLP and some of the Duggar story. I found their TV show repulsive, and believe they and Bill Gothard have done a lot of harm.
IBLP considers males, in particular the patriarch of a family, to be superior, whereas females are expected to obey men in every way. This includes in the home, school, workplace, and marriage.

Women are raised to learn how to become good wives and mothers, and to birth and raise children for the IBLP men chosen by the women’s fathers to be their husbands; couples are matched after a complex courtship overseen by both sets of parents. Women are not allowed to date or flirt, and all attempts at flirting, as well as wearing makeup, perfume, nail polish and high heels, are seen as lustful. Women are also discouraged from attaining higher education.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institute ... Principles
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

"Shiny Happy People" reminds me of the recent "Keep Sweet: Pray and Obey". I'll probably watch it.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:54 am "Shiny Happy People" reminds me of the recent "Keep Sweet: Pray and Obey". I'll probably watch it.
I hadn’t heard about that one. I just now started listening to The Rise and Fall of Mars Hill podcast, and on my list is the Hillsong series. Can’t remember the exact title atm. There’s another documentary coming out about Gothard and the survivors of abuse. Here’s the link:

https://untilthetruth.com/

So much abuse of power in evangelical spaces. It’s unreal.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:46 am Not sure if I will watch. I am familiar with the teachings of IBLP and some of the Duggar story. I found their TV show repulsive, and believe they and Bill Gothard have done a lot of harm.
IBLP considers males, in particular the patriarch of a family, to be superior, whereas females are expected to obey men in every way. This includes in the home, school, workplace, and marriage.

Women are raised to learn how to become good wives and mothers, and to birth and raise children for the IBLP men chosen by the women’s fathers to be their husbands; couples are matched after a complex courtship overseen by both sets of parents. Women are not allowed to date or flirt, and all attempts at flirting, as well as wearing makeup, perfume, nail polish and high heels, are seen as lustful. Women are also discouraged from attaining higher education.
I’ve never actually watched the tv show, but I know people who have been personally affected by his teachings. I’ve also been on my own journey of evaluating my own beliefs and removing harmful beliefs that I’ve learned just growing adjacent to these spaces because they influenced the culture around me.
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

mommy_jules wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:16 am
MonarchMom wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:46 am Not sure if I will watch. I am familiar with the teachings of IBLP and some of the Duggar story. I found their TV show repulsive, and believe they and Bill Gothard have done a lot of harm.

I’ve never actually watched the tv show, but I know people who have been personally affected by his teachings. I’ve also been on my own journey of evaluating my own beliefs and removing harmful beliefs that I’ve learned just growing adjacent to these spaces because they influenced the culture around me.
Rethinking beliefs that are part of one's worldview is a difficult and important process. I'm impressed with your maturity and intellectual honesty.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Great..now I have R.E.M. rolling through my head...sigh..
Oh, and there is no way I would watch anything about those nuts. My SIL used to love their show and all I could think was: Ick. No thank you..but, then again, the only reality shows I watch are The Masked Singer and The Voice so there's that.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Deleted User 2267

Unread post

I’m definitely watching.

I used to love that show…
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Bumping this as my daughter and I started watching last night. In some ways it reminds me of FDLS church but the difference is that when FDLS church was exposed, most people were horrified and yet the IBLP/Duggar family got a hit tv show. I just feel such sadness for those who grew up in homes where IBLP was practiced and awe at the strength of people who leave that practice as adults and break that generational abuse.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Heyteacher
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I watched it. Really was just a rehash of what is already public.
Locked Previous topicNext topic