Winnie-the-Pooh book teaches Texas kids to ‘run, hide, fight’ in a shooting

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 4:30 pm How you look at the gun violence problem in the US I guess is how you look at the victims. Of course children are victims (number one killer of children) but also the 0-100 age group are victims and I care about them as well.

Perhaps this book is necessary (but I feel could be better composed) but it is a quick bandaid on a much bigger problem - gun ownership and violence. The bigger issue must be addressed and I don't care what a person's age group is, they have skin in the game.

I've said before, there are multiple kinds of gun owners in my county and all should be in the conversation.

We have hunters - they should be able to hunt
We have those who own a gun to protect their farms - they should be able to do that
We have those who own a gun for personal protection - they should be able to do that too but we need to look at ways to change society so that isn't seen as a necessary
We have those who like to prance with their weapons through town because they can - IMO, stop this. Stop glamorizing a weapon. If there is an actual need, stop allowing people to display it on their back when going into the local Piggly Wiggly. I don't wear a chop saw on my back, don't wear an AK-whatever.
Open carry should be addressed all around
Amount of ammunition should be addressed
Red Flag laws should be universal - If I'm diagnosed with depression, considered suicidal, and taking meds, I shouldn't own a gun.
Increase community policing - I don't mean pulling over someone with a busted headlight but knowing your community which means knowing who is potentially a danger to their community. We are a county of 15,000 people with only 6 deputies on duty at any one time. There is information on EVERYONE.
Think about common sense gun laws such as waiting period, restrictions to conceal carry, age of buyers, shutting down gun show sales, more rigorous application to purchase a gun, etc without jumping to SECOND AMENDMENT!

The majority of people in the US want stricter gun regulation and yet we can't get there. Why?
Well said.

This is what we need to be focused on. I don’t like the book or that fact that it’s needed.. we got way bigger fish right now.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 5:06 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 4:30 pm How you look at the gun violence problem in the US I guess is how you look at the victims. Of course children are victims (number one killer of children) but also the 0-100 age group are victims and I care about them as well.

Perhaps this book is necessary (but I feel could be better composed) but it is a quick bandaid on a much bigger problem - gun ownership and violence. The bigger issue must be addressed and I don't care what a person's age group is, they have skin in the game.

I've said before, there are multiple kinds of gun owners in my county and all should be in the conversation.

We have those who own a gun to protect their farms - they should be able to do that
We have those who own a gun for personal protection - they should be able to do that too but we need to look at ways to change society so that isn't seen as a necessary
We have those who like to prance with their weapons through town because they can - IMO, stop this. Stop glamorizing a weapon. If there is an actual need, stop allowing people to display it on their back when going into the local Piggly Wiggly. I don't wear a chop saw on my back, don't wear an AK-whatever.
Red Flag laws should be universal - If I'm diagnosed with depression, considered suicidal, and taking meds, I shouldn't own a gun.
Increase community policing - I don't mean pulling over someone with a busted headlight but knowing your community which means knowing who is potentially a danger to their community. We are a county of 15,000 people with only 6 deputies on duty at any one time. There is information on EVERYONE.
Think about common sense gun laws such as waiting period, restrictions to conceal carry, age of buyers, shutting down gun show sales, more rigorous application to purchase a gun, etc without jumping to SECOND AMENDMENT!

The majority of people in the US want stricter gun regulation and yet we can't get there. Why?
Well said.

This is what we need to be focused on. I don’t like the book or that fact that it’s needed.. we got way bigger fish right now.
The fact that we're arguing if a book, which probably took someone with InDesign three hours to produce in their basement, is effective or not is frustrating. Of course it's not effective. Effective change is going to take work so go to work people!
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 5:22 pm

Well said.

The fact that we're arguing if a book, which probably took someone with InDesign three hours to produce in their basement, is effective or not is frustrating. Of course it's not effective. Effective change is going to take work so go to work people!
I agree 100% and that goes for all of America’s political issues. I’m done arguing and taking sides on every single story but ignoring the overall problem.

Effective change absolutely takes work and compromise.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 5:58 pm

Well said.

I agree 100% and that goes for all of America’s political issues. I’m done arguing and taking sides on every single story but ignoring the overall problem.

I am so sick and tired of politicians listening to corporate interests and lobby groups rather than constituents. Gun control has been popular with the voting masses since Columbine but the gun lobby wins and we just suck it up. It's the same on the left so I totally "both sides" this. I think we're seeing the final death throes of our democratic republic and will head towards something completely different in my lifetime. What that will be, I don't know, but my kids probably won't be living here when it happens. During modern history, we've never been a country that's looked out for individuals so we can't be surprised when individuals no longer want to live here.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:12 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 5:58 pm

I am so sick and tired of politicians listening to corporate interests and lobby groups rather than constituents. Gun control has been popular with the voting masses since Columbine but the gun lobby wins and we just suck it up. It's the same on the left so I totally "both sides" this. I think we're seeing the final death throes of our democratic republic and will head towards something completely different in my lifetime. What that will be, I don't know, but my kids probably won't be living here when it happens. During modern history, we've never been a country that's looked out for individuals so we can't be surprised when individuals no longer want to live here.

I’m mad and outdone with both sides on just about everything. lol!

That is so true. Politicians listen to everyone except the voters who are putting them in office. Even Republicans in Texas support stricter gun laws but you can’t tell by our politicians and the media because they drown out the people who have sense enough to see that we need to do something.

I just don’t know how bad this has to get before both sides get over themselves and start at least trying to find some middle ground or else this is just gonna get worse.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Sadly, it seems necessary
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Bobcobbagob wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:47 pm
SallyMae wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:17 pm
Bobcobbagob wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 7:31 am That would be a simple solution there… but in this case, the tigers all got out years ago, they’ve breed like crazy and those kids are now surrounded by 300 million tigers that you have no idea where they could pop out from next…

You damn well better teach those kids how to survive a tiger attack.
No, you kill the F***ing tigers, now. We have that ability.
We don’t have that ability… we don’t know where half of the tigers are, and they’re all a protected species.
Even if we take away their protected status, we still don’t know where the rest are…
Every time there were warning signs that someone ignored. Some even harbored the tigers although they had, let’s say rabies. They even sharpened their claws. Others warned but the authorities said their hands were tied. They said we can’t kill or disable this tiger although it might have rabies. The tigers don’t attack out of a vacuum.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:49 pm
Valentina327 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:53 am Next up, let's convince the men to cut off their penises, because rape happens. We need to convince the men that the penises in their pants are a danger to society. 🤦🤦🤦
I've seen this argument before, here's the counter:
The analogy you provided comparing gun control to asking all men to cut off their penises because some men use them to rape is flawed. Let's break down the flaws in this analogy:

False equivalence: The analogy equates gun control measures with a severe, permanent bodily harm. Gun control aims to regulate and restrict access to firearms, while cutting off one's penis is a physically harmful and irreversible act. Gun control does not involve physically harming individuals or removing an essential part of their bodies.

Misrepresentation of intent: Gun control policies are designed to address public safety concerns, such as reducing gun violence, preventing accidents, and promoting responsible firearm ownership. Comparing this intention to an act of violence (castration) is an inappropriate and misleading characterization. The analogy implies that gun control measures are motivated by a desire to harm gun owners, which is not the case.

Ignoring broader societal benefits: Gun control measures are implemented to promote public safety, reduce gun violence, and protect innocent lives. These policies take into account statistical evidence, research, and the experiences of other countries that have implemented successful gun control measures. The analogy fails to acknowledge the potential positive impact of gun control on reducing gun-related accidents, suicides, and homicides.

Analogies can be helpful in clarifying complex issues, but it's essential to ensure that they are accurate, fair, and relevant. In this case, the analogy does not accurately reflect the goals, intentions, or effects of gun control measures.
Yes I've seen the pseudo intellectual refutation already .

You're digging too deep. It's a very simple analogy, meant for people to stop being emotional and think that anything in the wrong hands, used by someone will malice in their hearts, can be used as a weapon. Guns, penises, vehicles, fertilizer, nails, hammers knives, dynamite, etc.

The root cause needs to be addressed. Not that inanimate object that doesn't fire itself.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 2:22 pm Yes I've seen the pseudo intellectual refutation already .

You're digging too deep. It's a very simple analogy, meant for people to stop being emotional and think that anything in the wrong hands, used by someone will malice in their hearts, can be used as a weapon. Guns, penises, vehicles, fertilizer, nails, hammers knives, dynamite, etc.

The root cause needs to be addressed. Not that inanimate object that doesn't fire itself.
While it is true that many objects, even sticks, can be used as weapons, it does not mean that efforts to regulate or control certain weapons are futile or unnecessary. The context, intent, and potential for harm are crucial factors to consider when evaluating the need for regulations.

Here are a few points to consider:

Scale of harm: While it is true that various objects can be used as weapons, the scale and potential for harm differ significantly. Firearms, for example, are specifically designed to efficiently injure or kill at a distance. Their ability to cause harm surpasses that of many other objects. Therefore, implementing regulations on firearms is not equivalent to regulating every object that could potentially be used as a weapon.

Mitigating risks: Society has long recognized the need to mitigate risks associated with potentially dangerous objects. For instance, regulations exist for the manufacturing, distribution, and use of certain objects such as firearms, explosives, and dangerous chemicals. These regulations aim to minimize the risk of misuse and to ensure public safety.

Balancing individual rights and public safety: The regulation of weapons involves striking a balance between individual rights and public safety. While individuals have the right to self-defense, there is also a societal interest in minimizing the potential for harm. This balance is often reflected in laws and regulations that consider factors such as background checks, licensing, training requirements, and restrictions on certain types of weapons.

Effectiveness of regulation: It is worth noting that regulations and restrictions on weapons can be effective in reducing the risk of harm. Countries with stricter gun control laws have generally shown lower rates of firearm-related deaths and injuries. While no regulation can completely eliminate all risks, reasonable measures can contribute to a safer society.

In summary, the fact that various objects can be used as weapons does not invalidate the need for regulations and restrictions on specific items designed for efficient harm, such as firearms. The intention behind weapon regulations is to mitigate risks, strike a balance between individual rights and public safety, and work towards creating a safer environment for everyone.
Locked Previous topicNext topic