I'm Never Going To Be An Empty-Nester!

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Four adults, four cats, and a dog in the house feels a little "full".

For those of you with adult children living at home, how do you find alone time?
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

It’s fairly easy. I just go into my bedroom. I truly will never have an empty-nest.
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

The only adults living in our house are DH and myself.

Once you turn 18 and graduate high school, you have until the fall to figure out what your new address is, be it college, your own place, a relative's, etc.

We don't house grown people unless it's under special circumstances. They're made aware of that and reminded regularly from the time they start high school.

3 down, 1 to go in a couple of years and we'll be empty nesters!
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I don't plan on letting my adult kids live with me. 2 are already out. 1 leaves this fall, then just 1 more to go (he's14). I don't know what you have going on but why not encourage them to be independent and live their own lives in their own homes??
Heyteacher
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

My kids will always be welcome in our home provided they are working or in school. As such they will pay rent if it’s the former, thus as a landlord I will have my space and they theirs.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Heyteacher wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 7:22 am My kids will always be welcome in our home provided they are working or in school. As such they will pay rent if it’s the former, thus as a landlord I will have my space and they theirs.
My kids are working and while they don't pay rent (I don't have a mortgage), they do contribute to utilities, groceries, and other household bills. Rent and property prices have blown up in our area so I don't see them moving out anytime soon.

Not going to lie, I really like having them here! They each have their own private space but shared spaces include kitchen which is also my office, and bathrooms so we interact constantly. I only go to my room to sleep, lol.

Both my son and his girlfriend are on the Autism Spectrum and require some support so there would have to be a lot of things put into place before they moved out. My daughter is running for our local Town Council and if she wins, she'll have to remain living here for four more years, lol.

I don't know why this post was Anon. I'm a pretty open book and this is a light post!
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Heyteacher
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Lucky kiddos and lucky momma! I feel the same way—while I will want them to contribute-“pay rent”. At the same time I won’t put them out just because the world seems them adults either. My obligation doesn’t end just because the government says so.

WellPreserved wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 7:39 am
Heyteacher wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 7:22 am My kids will always be welcome in our home provided they are working or in school. As such they will pay rent if it’s the former, thus as a landlord I will have my space and they theirs.
My kids are working and while they don't pay rent (I don't have a mortgage), they do contribute to utilities, groceries, and other household bills. Rent and property prices have blown up in our area so I don't see them moving out anytime soon.

Not going to lie, I really like having them here! They each have their own private space but shared spaces include kitchen which is also my office, and bathrooms so we interact constantly. I only go to my room to sleep, lol.

Both my son and his girlfriend are on the Autism Spectrum and require some support so there would have to be a lot of things put into place before they moved out. My daughter is running for our local Town Council and if she wins, she'll have to remain living here for four more years, lol.

I don't know why this post was Anon. I'm a pretty open book and this is a light post!
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Heyteacher wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 7:55 am Lucky kiddos and lucky momma! I feel the same way—while I will want them to contribute-“pay rent”. At the same time I won’t put them out just because the world seems them adults either. My obligation doesn’t end just because the government says so.

WellPreserved wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 7:39 am

I do feel very lucky. I just wish I had my own bathroom😂
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I raised my kids so that they would be successful. They went to university and then had careers that made it so they could live on their own.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:49 am I raised my kids so that they would be successful. They went to university and then had careers that made it so they could live on their own.
I'm really proud of both my kids as they are both super successful in their unique ways.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic