How do you plan international trips so far in advance?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Two of our three kids will be graduating in 2025. They mentioned that rather than getting a car, a party, gifts, etc., they would rather travel internationally. They haven't travelled a lot outside of our state. Neither have we, not in the last 15 or so years. They said they would be happy to travel anywhere they haven't been before and mentioned some of the places they really want to visit- Spain, France, Italy, the Netherlands, Sweden, the Koreas, New Zealand, and Japan.

I'm looking up flight prices just to get a general idea. I realize that prices will change over the next two years. But on a lot of sites, it seems like they just don't have any information because it's too far in advance.

If you have travelled internationally recently or frequently, how far in advance do you plan? And do you have any suggestions on how to plan this? I'd love to have an estimate of the cost of flights so that we can have an idea in mind when it comes to savings.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

About six months out. But there is a lot of planning that they can do even 2 years out even though they won't necessarily have exact prices (but can probably be pretty close). First would be to decide on a destination. Then how do they want to travel or even do they want to travel within the country (or region) of choice - by air, train, bus, rental car? What kind of lodging do they want - hotels, B&Bs, hostels? Self-guided tour or all inclusive package?
Anonymous 3

Unread post

We used EF tours
Deleted User 1511

Unread post

Are they graduating high school or college?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 4:22 pmWe used EF tours
Are you happy with them? I looked up the flights to Italy for next summer and I could get all 5 of us there for around $1500 round trip (20 days), but the 12 day Italy tour with EF is $5K per person for students and more expensive for adults. Seems really overpriced?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 4:28 pm Are they graduating high school or college?
High School.
Deleted User 1511

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 4:29 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 4:28 pm Are they graduating high school or college?
High School.
I would encourage them to consider Europe this first trip abroad. Select a major hub for arrival departure such as Paris, Frankfurt, Madrid, Rome (you'll always be able to get decent ticket prices). Purchase a Eurail pass (can be purchased 11 months in advance) and have no set itinerary. Plan to stay in youth hostels which are present everywhere in Europe and don't need advanced booking.

If they Eurail, they will most likely meet up with other recent graduates and change their planned itinerary so it's best not to have one.

ETA: I just checked Eurail pass cost and a 15 day is $425 and a 30 day is $576. This is for the global pass which includes 33 countries. If money is tight, they can opt to take a couple of night trains and sleep rather than staying in a hostel for those nights.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 4:28 pm
Anonymous 3 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 4:22 pmWe used EF tours
Are you happy with them? I looked up the flights to Italy for next summer and I could get all 5 of us there for around $1500 round trip (20 days), but the 12 day Italy tour with EF is $5K per person for students and more expensive for adults. Seems really overpriced?
With all of the food and shows and tours and hotel they include it's definitely worth it imo.
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I plan on going next year. A friend did a cruise. She flew to the UK then cruised to a bunch of countries.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 4:44 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 4:29 pm
High School.
I would encourage them to consider Europe this first trip abroad. Select a major hub for arrival departure such as Paris, Frankfurt, Madrid, Rome (you'll always be able to get decent ticket prices). Purchase a Eurail pass (can be purchased 11 months in advance) and have no set itinerary. Plan to stay in youth hostels which are present everywhere in Europe and don't need advanced booking.

If they Eurail, they will most likely meet up with other recent graduates and change their planned itinerary so it's best not to have one.

ETA: I just checked Eurail pass cost and a 15 day is $425 and a 30 day is $576. This is for the global pass which includes 33 countries. If money is tight, they can opt to take a couple of night trains and sleep rather than staying in a hostel for those nights.
After watching the horror movie Hostel as a teen I could never stay in one. And some youth hostel’s may have an age limit where OP couldn’t stay with her kids.
Locked Previous topicNext topic