Best places to live list came out…

Anonymous 1

Unread post

These are always ridiculous. There's no absolute best place to live. Personally you couldn't pay me to live in San Jose and I've spent a lot of time there.
Everyone's version of best is different.
Deleted User 2267

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:01 am These are always ridiculous. There's no absolute best place to live. Personally you couldn't pay me to live in San Jose and I've spent a lot of time there.
https://realestate.usnews.com/places/methodology

They go by educational opportunities, job market, housing prices…
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

My first response to all of the places that are up north or west is..nope. Snow. I loathe snow with every fiber of my being. As much as I love FL..it has a stupider political base than GA does which is where I live. Oh, and as far as Atlanta goes- we are FULL! No room at the inn folks..We cannot handle more people or traffic and it is freaking exploding here. *sigh*
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Anonymous 2

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:26 am My first response to all of the places that are up north or west is..nope. Snow. I loathe snow with every fiber of my being. As much as I love FL..it has a stupider political base than GA does which is where I live. Oh, and as far as Atlanta goes- we are FULL! No room at the inn folks..We cannot handle more people or traffic and it is freaking exploding here. *sigh*
🤔
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:28 am
mcginnisc wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:26 am My first response to all of the places that are up north or west is..nope. Snow. I loathe snow with every fiber of my being. As much as I love FL..it has a stupider political base than GA does which is where I live. Oh, and as far as Atlanta goes- we are FULL! No room at the inn folks..We cannot handle more people or traffic and it is freaking exploding here. *sigh*
🤔
Yep.. it is incorrect, but that is how I am phrasing it. LOL I rarely do things like this unless I am being silly, but that is truly a pretty accurate description of the FL government. They baffle my mind with the idiocy that is occuring there and that says a lot because well, I live in GA and our government is stupid too.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Bobcobbagob wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:19 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:01 am These are always ridiculous. There's no absolute best place to live. Personally you couldn't pay me to live in San Jose and I've spent a lot of time there.

First of all with San Francisco on the list I doubt it takes into account housing prices much or homelessness. Sure the jobs pay a lot but a lot of people commute 4 hours each way because they can't afford to live there despite working there.
Secondly as I said everyone's version of best is different. I'd be miserable in a city so none of those places would be best to me.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I'll comment on the ones I have a little experience with.

#12 - Boise, ID - No experience personally but I have a friend who lived there for about 2 years and then moved down to Texas and absolutely loves Texas. So Boise didn't do it for him. I'm going to guess the snow had something to do with it. And on the subject of this friend, he had moved to Boise from #93 San Diego. He loved San Diego except that it was just too damn expensive. He was tired of needing a roommate just to afford a half decent place to live.

#27 - Buffalo NY - DH's whole extended family is from Buffalo and we've spent a lot of time visiting over the years. Honestly seems like a perfectly nice place to live... if you're ok with lake-effect snow in the winter.

#32 - Lincoln NE - My sister lived there for about 8 years and it seemed fine. My only criticism was that they didn't seem to know how to plow in the winter.

#35 - Mpls/St. Paul MN - Though DH and I always lived in the suburbs, not the city itself, this is where we came from. DH spent the first 40 years of his life there. I spent the first 20 years of my adulthood there. We still visit every summer. The metro area overall is a very nice place to live and I would've stayed if not for the bitter cold winters. My other criticism is the traffic but you will get that in any large metro area. The other thing to remember about Mpls though is that it's home to the George Floyd incident and even before that it was home to the large groups of people walking out onto the freeways in protest. There seems to be a lot of unrest in Mpls in this particular social issue.

#96 - Tucson AZ - DH and I love visiting Tucson. There is so much to do there. I'm not sure if I would want to live there though. Honestly their traffic is a bit scary, and I'm not talking about volume, but they have some really strange intersections and layouts. DH and I will just keep it as a great vacation spot.

#110 Phoenix AZ and #136 Las Vegas NV - These are the two big cities that are closest to me. I've never lived in either one but have spent a decent amount of time in both. If I HAD to go back to living in a big city I would choose Vegas. Traffic in Phoenix is HORRENDOUS and real estate in Phoenix seems to be out of control - more so than the nation in general. Whereas Vegas seems to be more like where I live now, just bigger, and my only complaint is I don't want big city.

#138 - Miami FL - The only thing I'll say about Miami is that back in the late 90's my sister had an opportunity to live there for 6 months and she HATED everything about it. She said you could never pay her enough to ever live there again.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I’ll vouch for #2. You will need a vehicle, though. The pictures are little misleading in that downtown is really the only walkable area of the city, and it’s not that big of an area. If you are more interested in a suburban lifestyle, it’s a great place and rural or bigger cities aren’t far away.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Exactly. Besides, we all have different lifestyles and needs. Me, being an Orthodox Jew, would need a place with a strong Jewish community and services, such as availability of kosher food and religious services. Some small places, although lovely, I couldn’t live in and be happy and fulfilled. These things are indeed too individual and subjective to be able to give it a “rating” as best or worst places.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:25 pm
Bobcobbagob wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:19 am

First of all with San Francisco on the list I doubt it takes into account housing prices much or homelessness. Sure the jobs pay a lot but a lot of people commute 4 hours each way because they can't afford to live there despite working there.
Secondly as I said everyone's version of best is different. I'd be miserable in a city so none of those places would be best to me.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Locked Previous topicNext topic