School Can Force Trans Girl to Dress As Boy At Graduation, Judge Rules

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

"A federal judge ruled late Friday evening that the Harrison County School District can prohibit a 17-year-old transgender girl from attending her graduation Saturday unless she dresses in attire designated for boys, the Sun Herald’s Margaret Baker reported."

“On May 9, 2023—less than two weeks before graduation day, Defendants informed Plaintiff L.B. that she could not attend or participate in her high school graduation ceremony while wearing a dress and heeled shoes,” says a complaint the American Civil Liberties Union of Mississippi filed in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi on Thursday.

“Defendants based this instruction on the HCHS gender-based dress code policy for graduation, which provides that girls must wear a white dress and dress shoes and that boys must wear a white button-down shirt, black dress pants, black dress shoes, and a tie or bowtie,” the complaint continues.

“Defendants instructed that L.B. must dress in accordance with her S*x assigned at birth—in other words, that L.B. must dress in accordance with the stereotypical male standards, even though she entered high school as a girl and has lived every aspect of her high school career as a girl.

https://www.mississippifreepress.org/33 ... graduation
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Speaking as a cis woman I’d be pissed that I had to wear a dress and couldn’t pick a pantsuit or even the color I wanted. I understand schools can make uniform rules but if they allowed and accepted her gender until this point it’s petty and stupid to suddenly change course because of a graduation. Is the diploma going to be in her chosen name or what?
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I hope the family wins the lawsuit and I hope people start boycotting these southern states over these ignorant ass decisions and political grand standing.

I seriously considered moving back, but stuff like this reminds me of why I left and it keeps getting worse.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

It seems that many are going out of their way to show us how “free” we actually are.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 2:57 pm I hope the family wins the lawsuit and I hope people start boycotting these southern states over these ignorant ass decisions and political grand standing.

I seriously considered moving back, but stuff like this reminds me of why I left and it keeps getting worse.
They lost:( The judge ruled last night that she has to wear male attire and graduation is this evening.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

This is so ridiculous. What does the school gain from enforcing this? How are they harmed by letting her dress as she wants?
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 3:00 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 2:57 pm I hope the family wins the lawsuit and I hope people start boycotting these southern states over these ignorant ass decisions and political grand standing.

They lost:( The judge ruled last night that she has to wear male attire and graduation is this evening.
Oh… might not hear about it but karma will bite the state in the ass for all this because it always does. That’s why the state is in the shape it’s in now and why so many people move immediately after college.

They didn’t even harass us like this when we were in school so I see the bigoted behavior has gotten worse.

This is blatant discrimination and bullying a child.
Deleted User 2267

Unread post

Dress codes can’t be explicitly discriminatory.
That means that while dress codes may specify types of attire that are acceptable, these requirements may not differ based on students’ gender, race, religion, or other protected characteristics. Under federal laws protecting against discrimination in education – including Title IX, Title VI, and the U.S. Constitution’s equal protection guarantee, public schools cannot enforce a dress code based on gender- or race-based stereotypes about appropriate dress or appearance. For example, a public school cannot require girls, and only girls, to wear skirts or dresses, or require boys, but not girls, to wear short hair. This also goes for special events and occassions – such as prom, graduation, or yearbook photos. For example, while a public school can require “formal attire” to be worn at special events, it may not require that girls, and only girls, wear gowns – or that boys, and only boys, wear a suit.

https://www.aclu.org/news/womens-rights ... appearance.

So what happened? Is this another state law vs federal law?
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

This is completely wrong and I hope this story becomes bigger, especially for the graduating class of 2024 next spring.

Don't they wear caps and gowns over their other "street clothes" and if so, what could happen tonight if she still wore what she wanted to underneath?
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

AZOldCoot wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:48 pm This is completely wrong and I hope this story becomes bigger, especially for the graduating class of 2024 next spring.

Don't they wear caps and gowns over their other "street clothes" and if so, what could happen tonight if she still wore what she wanted to underneath?
I was thinking the same. She will be wearing a gown, so no one would have even noticed it had the school not made a big deal about it.
Locked Previous topicNext topic