School Can Force Trans Girl to Dress As Boy At Graduation, Judge Rules

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:52 pm
AZOldCoot wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:48 pm This is completely wrong and I hope this story becomes bigger, especially for the graduating class of 2024 next spring.

Don't they wear caps and gowns over their other "street clothes" and if so, what could happen tonight if she still wore what she wanted to underneath?
I was thinking the same. She will be wearing a gown, so no one would have even noticed it had the school not made a big deal about it.
Except for the shoes, they wouldn't.

Another question.... hypothetically speaking, could they legally withhold her diploma were she to wear what she wanted under the gown? Do they hand them their actual diploma right then and there or mail it to them after the ceremony as they did with our two kid's that graduated from a traditional public high school?
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

AZOldCoot wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 7:01 pm
AZOldCoot wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:48 pm This is completely wrong and I hope this story becomes bigger, especially for the graduating class of 2024 next spring.

Don't they wear caps and gowns over their other "street clothes" and if so, what could happen tonight if she still wore what she wanted to underneath?
I was thinking the same. She will be wearing a gown, so no one would have even noticed it had the school not made a big deal about it.

Another question.... hypothetically speaking, could they legally withhold her diploma were she to wear what she wanted under the gown? Do they hand them their actual diploma right then and there or mail it to them after the ceremony as they did with our two kid's that graduated from a traditional public high school?

I’m not sure about Harrison Central but I think they do. The last graduation I went to, they mailed it and threatened not to if the kids broke graduation rules.

But I have never heard of them actually trying to do it or how that would actually work.

Have you? I always thought it was just a scare tactic.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I'll be damned if anyone tries to tell me what I can and can't wear to my own F***ing graduation. I understand adhering to a dress code that is similar to what was required while in class but dictating colors or who can wear pants or not is TOO far IMO. But it's F***ing Mississippi so I can't say I'm surprised. Red states seem to be in a recent competition of who can be the biggest asshole in a "hold my beer" competition that no one asked for.
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 7:35 pm

I’m not sure about Harrison Central but I think they do. The last graduation I went to, they mailed it and threatened not to if the kids broke graduation rules.

But I have never heard of them actually trying to do it or how that would actually work.

They threatened our oldest daughter with not receving her diploma and because she broke a rule, showing up to say goodbye to her favorite teacher's the day after her final day which was a no-no.

She shouldn't have broken it but the rule was a little over the top in our opinions.

I contacted the district, informed them that the school couldn't withhold her diploma per the state BOE, and she apologized for breaking the rule.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

AZOldCoot wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:28 pm

They threatened our oldest daughter with not receving her diploma and because she broke a rule, showing up to say goodbye to her favorite teacher's the day after her final day which was a no-no.

She shouldn't have broken it but the rule was a little over the top in our opinions.

I contacted the district, informed them that the school couldn't withhold her diploma per the state BOE, and she apologized for breaking the rule.
Huh? Why did they have a problem with that? Normally, it’s over kids doing silly stuff like dancing when their name is called. Saying goodbye to a teacher is a new one.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 8:47 pm I'll be damned if anyone tries to tell me what I can and can't wear to my own F***ing graduation. I understand adhering to a dress code that is similar to what was required while in class but dictating colors or who can wear pants or not is TOO far IMO. But it's F***ing Mississippi so I can't say I'm surprised. Red states seem to be in a recent competition of who can be the biggest asshole in a "hold my beer" competition that no one asked for.
That’s exactly what it is. 10 years ago, nobody would have given a shit, but now all of a sudden it’s a problem.
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:35 pm

Huh? Why did they have a problem with that? Normally, it’s over kids doing silly stuff like dancing when their name is called. Saying goodbye to a teacher is a new one.
The graduating seniors were out earlier than the other grades once their finals were completed. The younger grades were still taking their finals, however, and our daughter and her friend's were disrupting class when they showed up.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

AZOldCoot wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 10:33 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:35 pm

The graduating seniors were out earlier than the other grades once their finals were completed. The younger grades were still taking their finals, however, and our daughter and her friend's were disrupting class when they showed up.
Oh, well I guess that makes sense but it’s not serious enough to withhold a student’s diploma.

I’m thinking about getting another masters but idk if I wanna be a student in today’s political climate.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 8:47 pm I'll be damned if anyone tries to tell me what I can and can't wear to my own F***ing graduation. I understand adhering to a dress code that is similar to what was required while in class but dictating colors or who can wear pants or not is TOO far IMO. But it's F***ing Mississippi so I can't say I'm surprised. Red states seem to be in a recent competition of who can be the biggest asshole in a "hold my beer" competition that no one asked for.
I graduated HS 30 years ago and we had the rules of what could and could not be worn at graduation. Girls had to wear a white dress with white closed toe shoes and boys had to wear a white dress shirt with black tie, black pants and black shoes. It is definitely not new for schools to enforce dress codes. That said, they are off their nut with this one. This kid should be able to wear whatever they want under their gown. Things like this make me glad that I homeschool. My kid won't walk until college graduation in a few years. She finished exams and was done..that was it. She has been done for a week now and is waiting to start a new chapter in her life in August.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:11 am I graduated HS 30 years ago and we had the rules of what could and could not be worn at graduation. Girls had to wear a white dress with white closed toe shoes and boys had to wear a white dress shirt with black tie, black pants and black shoes. It is definitely not new for schools to enforce dress codes. That said, they are off their nut with this one. This kid should be able to wear whatever they want under their gown. Things like this make me glad that I homeschool. My kid won't walk until college graduation in a few years. She finished exams and was done..that was it. She has been done for a week now and is waiting to start a new chapter in her life in August.
That deserves some congratulations! My son chose not to walk after HS but we did have a big party for him where he wore his cap and gown and his dad handed him his diploma, to great applause from the assemblage. We home-graduated, lol.

Reaching this milestone is definitely reason to celebrate - great work and congrats to you both!
Locked Previous topicNext topic