My flowers killed my neighbors cat

Anonymous 4

Unread post

Aletheia wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:12 pm
Gorilla_Mama wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:13 pm Keeping your animals safe [] is the owners responsibility.

It’s not OPs fault or problem that the cat got into her lilys.
I agree.

If a neighbourhood isn't safe place to have a cat (such as right next to a very busy road), then that's not the right pet to have if you want to live there.

It isn't unreasonable to ask IF someone is willing to make a change in order to make it a safe neighbourhood. It would even be reasonable to offer something in exchange, to compensate them for making the change. But you don't have a right to demand it, or expect that they will make the change.
There is no neighborhood safe for domesticated cats to roam.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:16 pm There is no neighborhood safe for domesticated cats to roam.
Maybe not 100% safe, but safe enough.

I live in a small village in a rural area of Britain.
Gorilla_Mama
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Aletheia wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:06 pm
Gorilla_Mama wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:13 pm What about dogs?
Dogs can be taken on walks.

You can fence a yard, and train a dog to stay inside the yard, or put it on a long tether.

With a cat, short of an outside area contained in double-doored cattery-style caging, there isn't a good alternative to cutting it off from the natural environment it evolved in.

Yes, there are dog breeds used as 'lap dogs' in high-rise tower blocks that never get a sniff of outside air.

I think those owners would be better off with hamsters too.
To be fair, cats can be leash trained. Mine is. So she does get to go outside but she has no interest in escaping and roaming free. The door can be wide open and she won’t go anywhere. She’s plenty happy being a pampered house cat.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Aletheia wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:31 pm
Anonymous 4 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:16 pm There is no neighborhood safe for domesticated cats to roam.
Maybe not 100% safe, but safe enough.

I live in a small village in a rural area of Britain.
In the US, the average life-span of an outdoor cat is 2-5 years. An indoor cat is 10-15 years. Most Humane Societies won't let people adopt cats unless they state that they will be indoor cats only, except for feral cats which are often adopted out as barn cats.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic