Riley Gaines demands athletes BOYCOTT Adidas for having biological male model pose in new women's swimwear campaign that

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

When it comes to LGBTQ issues there is not only a political divide but an age divide. While the majority of adults in the US feel that gender is determined by S*x assigned at birth, transgender women should be prohibited from competing in women's sports, and that society has gone either far enough or too far in acceptance of transgender people, the majority of adults under 30 believe the opposite and the biggest influence is knowing someone who is transgender.

Adidas' targeted marking demographic is "aimed towards athletes or young individuals who enjoy sports between the ages of 20 and 30" so it makes complete sense that they would blur gender stereotypes in a marketing campaign, especially a campaign in support of Pride because "capitalism". It also makes sense that they would receive backlash appealing to the larger demographic of adults over 30.

Let's face it, if one truly believes that a transgender woman is as much as woman as a cis-gender woman (as the majority of adults under 30 believe), how can you deny them participation as woman in all aspects of life including sports.

I'll add that "the biggest influence is knowing someone who is transgender" is why many current LGBTQ issues often focus on inclusion and exclusion within the under 18s - in schools, sports, and bathrooms. If transgender boys and girls are unable to freely identify as their non-birth assigned gender, and if discussion of LGBTQ people is barred from the classroom, then cis-gender boys and girls, and heterosexual boys and girls will no longer have that demographic in their life experience from which to form their views. As an example, desegregation of schools created more social cohesion and tolerance and cross racial relationships. It's a heck of a lot easier to negatively judge a demographic of people that you don't personally know than people you do know.

My crystal ball prediction is that in another generation - 20 years - this will no longer be an issue.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 5:10 am
Olioxenfree wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:45 am
AZOldCoot wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 11:25 pm

And? Is it a competition over who has dealt with more?

She has a right to her views. Whether you agree with them or not isn't relevant. Remember? That's what you've written to other's here when you've had your opinions questioned on this type of topic.

Or have you found yet another thread where you can cite other's for what you perceive are "phobias"?
She has a right to have her views. She doesn’t have a right to demand the discrimination of others because of her transphobic views.
It has nothing to do with transphobia.
It doesn't have to be transphobia. The woman is entitled to her views, but she doesn't have the right to demand her views be followed by the rest of the country.

This reminds me of the crazy from Waycross saying all others should have to follow her God. Smh.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 11:01 pm

I guarantee that the athletes she targets have received far more violence than she has, because she perpetuates her hateful views.

She has a right to her views. Whether you agree with them or not isn't relevant. Remember? That's what you've written to other's here when you've had your opinions questioned on this type of topic.

Or have you found yet another thread where you can cite other's for what you perceive are "phobias"?
She has a right to have her views. She doesn’t have a right to demand the discrimination of others because of her transphobic views.
Gaines opposing transgender women competing in sports that have in the past, not included them because of physical gains a transgender woman can and does have, does not make Gaines transphobic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

AZOldCoot wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:11 am

Gaines opposing transgender women competing in sports that have in the past, not included them because of physical gains a transgender woman can and does have, does not make Gaines transphobic.
She’s literally boycotting a company solely because they let someone with a penis model a bathing suit. Many athletes have natural advantages, she’s not asking for them to be banned. Many trans athletes do not have natural advantage, but she still wants them banned. Even with her efforts to ban trans athletes aside, she has still expressed transphobic views.
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:11 am

She’s literally boycotting a company solely because they let someone with a penis model a bathing suit. Many athletes have natural advantages, she’s not asking for them to be banned. Many trans athletes do not have natural advantage, but she still wants them banned. Even with her efforts to ban trans athletes aside, she has still expressed transphobic views.
Sorry but I'm just done with you when it comes to topics like this.

Not everyone that opposes transgender men and women do so because they're "phobic". You won't understand that, however.

Whether or not I agree with Gaines doesn't change the fact that I respect her rights to be upset. That she lost to a transgender woman gives her a more up close and personal perspective, IMO.

You won't care though. 🤷
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

AZOldCoot wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:21 am

Not everyone that opposes transgender men and women do so because they're "phobic". You won't understand that, however.

Whether or not I agree with Gaines doesn't change the fact that I respect her rights to be upset. That she lost to a transgender woman gives her a more up close and personal perspective, IMO.

You won't care though. 🤷
She tied for fifth.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

AZOldCoot wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:21 am

You won't care though. 🤷
She didn’t lose to a transgender woman. She tied with one for fifth place. They were both beat by four other biological women. Opposing transgender men and women is literally transphobia. She is calling for a boycott of a sompany over models with penises wearing women’s swimsuits, but you think she has no issue with trans people? Once again, I never said she didn’t have the right to her own opinions, but she doesn’t have the right to force her discrimination on others.

Dictionary definition of transphobia- irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against transgender people
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

RIZZY wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 4:19 pm I don't know, man. Maybe a bathing suit doesn't really matter, maybe they do. I admit, when I heard the rumor that Dylan Mulvaney is the spokesperson for Tampax (this turned out to be false), that really bothered me. I don't want to be sold tampons by someone who has never had and never can have a period. I wouldn't want to be sold tampons by a pre-pubescent person, someone who appears to be male, or someone who hasn't had a period in 20 years, either. I think that's just common sense. Anyone can wear any bathing suit they like, so perhaps this is different. Although, I refuse to buy bathing suits or bras from companies who purport to cater to busty or curvy women if they don't use busty or curvy models. So, unless this person also had surgery to create a significant waist-to-hip ratio and has smaller shoulders, I have no reason to believe their products will be flattering on me. Then again, maybe there's a big market out there for swimsuits for MtF people and if so, why shouldn't they have products advertised to them?

I agree that I would really like to see more conversations about this without automatically calling people bigots or prejudiced.
Interesting thought. I'm wondering how it would be if a transgender male were advertising for Tampax. So someone who outwardly presents as male, but still has a female reproductive system and still has a monthly period. They have a need for the products. Would people be ok with that kind of advertising?

Personally it seems like the whole Bud Light thing all over again. I thought those people put entirely too much importance on what is depicted on a can. But everyone has their right to spend their money or not spend their money how they please.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:18 am When it comes to LGBTQ issues there is not only a political divide but an age divide. While the majority of adults in the US feel that gender is determined by S*x assigned at birth, transgender women should be prohibited from competing in women's sports, and that society has gone either far enough or too far in acceptance of transgender people, the majority of adults under 30 believe the opposite and the biggest influence is knowing someone who is transgender.

Adidas' targeted marking demographic is "aimed towards athletes or young individuals who enjoy sports between the ages of 20 and 30" so it makes complete sense that they would blur gender stereotypes in a marketing campaign, especially a campaign in support of Pride because "capitalism". It also makes sense that they would receive backlash appealing to the larger demographic of adults over 30.

Let's face it, if one truly believes that a transgender woman is as much as woman as a cis-gender woman (as the majority of adults under 30 believe), how can you deny them participation as woman in all aspects of life including sports.

I'll add that "the biggest influence is knowing someone who is transgender" is why many current LGBTQ issues often focus on inclusion and exclusion within the under 18s - in schools, sports, and bathrooms. If transgender boys and girls are unable to freely identify as their non-birth assigned gender, and if discussion of LGBTQ people is barred from the classroom, then cis-gender boys and girls, and heterosexual boys and girls will no longer have that demographic in their life experience from which to form their views. As an example, desegregation of schools created more social cohesion and tolerance and cross racial relationships. It's a heck of a lot easier to negatively judge a demographic of people that you don't personally know than people you do know.

My crystal ball prediction is that in another generation - 20 years - this will no longer be an issue.

The media hasn’t been an accurate reflection of my experience in real life. There are A LOT of adults under 30 who disagree with the notion that biological men and biological women are the same thing, especially when it comes to sports. They just can’t talk about it without getting attacked so athletes like this kid is attacking back and it’s solving nothing.

Using your desegregation example, integrating the schools didn’t mean that Black and Whites were considered the exact same thing. I’m biracial and it’s not the same thing as someone who is full Black or Japanese. I don’t get mad when someone respectfully points that out and I definitely don’t call them racist for telling the truth because it is different.

IMHO, it’s just like Trump and Covid. We can deny science and try make reality what we want it to be but it doesn’t change facts and I think both sides are doing the younger generation a disservice by making them think they can.

I get what you’re saying and I like talking to you because you can discuss this without name calling.

There needs to be a compromise because everyone is taking an extreme stance.
Locked Previous topicNext topic