College Board says it won’t alter AP courses to comply with Florida’s laws

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

"The College Board released a letter Thursday putting its foot down on further demands from Florida to change any of its Advanced Placement (AP) classes, the latest development in the ongoing feud between the company and the administration of Gov. Ron DeSantis (R).

“[College Board] will not modify our courses to accommodate restrictions on teaching essential, college-level topics,” the company told the Florida Department of Education Office of Articulation.

“Doing so would break the fundamental promise of AP: colleges wouldn’t broadly accept that course for credit and that course wouldn’t prepare students for careers in the discipline,” it added.

The College Board says the Florida office recently asked it to modify any courses that conflict with the new Florida rule restricting teaching on sexual orientation and gender identity in the classroom through 12th grade."

https://thehill.com/homenews/education/ ... idas-laws/
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I can not stand that with a passion. Making students take classes that won’t transfer is a total waste of time and money.

DeSantis is way worse than Trump and will do a lot more damage if he gets in office.
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:15 am I can not stand that with a passion. Making students take classes that won’t transfer is a total waste of time and money.

DeSantis is way worse than Trump and will do a lot more damage if he gets in office.
That part!!!!!
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Glad to see people pushing back against his bullshit.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I knew that crap wouldn't fly with College Board. They are basically *the* company to go through for AP courses and is the the one that universities across the country use for college placement. Students *have* to go through College Board for the SAT and for AP. My daughter that just graduated as a homeschooler had to have an account with College Board for SAT and to have her scores sent to every school she applied to. I just had to get into her account to print it out in order to apply for a scholarship given through the GA Lotto to students that meet the qualifications. DeSantis is a freaking moron and I hate to think of him running the country. We have got to have better candidates than DeSantis, Christie, Biden, and Trump..we just do.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:56 pm I knew that crap wouldn't fly with College Board. They are basically *the* company to go through for AP courses and is the the one that universities across the country use for college placement. Students *have* to go through College Board for the SAT and for AP. My daughter that just graduated as a homeschooler had to have an account with College Board for SAT and to have her scores sent to every school she applied to. I just had to get into her account to print it out in order to apply for a scholarship given through the GA Lotto to students that meet the qualifications. DeSantis is a freaking moron and I hate to think of him running the country. We have got to have better candidates than DeSantis, Christie, Biden, and Trump..we just do.
I have a question for you. Do homeschoolers have to take the AP exam or have it proctored at their local public school? My thinking is that homeschoolers would be the one to take this to court if Desantis eliminates AP from Florida public schools.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:45 pm
mcginnisc wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:56 pm I knew that crap wouldn't fly with College Board. They are basically *the* company to go through for AP courses and is the the one that universities across the country use for college placement. Students *have* to go through College Board for the SAT and for AP. My daughter that just graduated as a homeschooler had to have an account with College Board for SAT and to have her scores sent to every school she applied to. I just had to get into her account to print it out in order to apply for a scholarship given through the GA Lotto to students that meet the qualifications. DeSantis is a freaking moron and I hate to think of him running the country. We have got to have better candidates than DeSantis, Christie, Biden, and Trump..we just do.
I have a question for you. Do homeschoolers have to take the AP exam or have it proctored at their local public school? My thinking is that homeschoolers would be the one to take this to court if Desantis eliminates AP from Florida public schools.
Homeschoolers have to go wherever the test is being adminstered- any test.. SAT/ ACT/ AP.. does not matter which test it is. There is a testing location to sign up for. When dd took the SAT, she had to find a testing date/location and register through College Board for it. We have to play by the same rules as private and public schoolers when it comes to testing like that. DeSantis has absolutely no clue about education and will screw millions if he decides to ditch AP in FL. It is a huge thing with colleges as they look for the rigor of AP classes or dual enrollment when deciding on admissions. When they calculate GPA at these universities, they weigh AP/ IB higher. For instance, at UGA when they recalculate if you have AP classes, they give you a point per AP class. They do not weigh DE courses at all which I think hurt dd. It baffles my mind though because they are actual college classes taught at a university by professors and IMO show more rigor than a class taught by HS teachers.
My daughter did not take any AP courses as we opted for dual enrollment. She is entering college in the fall with 37 credit hours of college courses. They have all been accepted by her university..that is why I prefer DE over AP. With AP, if you don't get a 3, 4 or 5 on the test, you do not get credit. Some colleges don't give credit regardless of score and others do not give credit unless you achieve a 4 or 5. In the state of GA, if you dual enroll in a school in the state university system and then go to a school in the university system, they are required to take all of those credits. She is entering as a sophomore credit wise as she has completed all of her freshman courses already.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It’s a scary thought. But unless democrats come up with someone better than that useless, old fart, we’re going to be stuck with one or the other. 🤬
SouthernIslander wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:15 am I can not stand that with a passion. Making students take classes that won’t transfer is a total waste of time and money.

❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:06 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:45 pm
Homeschoolers have to go wherever the test is being adminstered- any test.. SAT/ ACT/ AP.. does not matter which test it is. There is a testing location to sign up for. When dd took the SAT, she had to find a testing date/location and register through College Board for it. We have to play by the same rules as private and public schoolers when it comes to testing like that. DeSantis has absolutely no clue about education and will screw millions if he decides to ditch AP in FL. It is a huge thing with colleges as they look for the rigor of AP classes or dual enrollment when deciding on admissions. When they calculate GPA at these universities, they weigh AP/ IB higher. For instance, at UGA when they recalculate if you have AP classes, they give you a point per AP class. They do not weigh DE courses at all which I think hurt dd. It baffles my mind though because they are actual college classes taught at a university by professors and IMO show more rigor than a class taught by HS teachers.
My daughter did not take any AP courses as we opted for dual enrollment. She is entering college in the fall with 37 credit hours of college courses. They have all been accepted by her university..that is why I prefer DE over AP. With AP, if you don't get a 3, 4 or 5 on the test, you do not get credit. Some colleges don't give credit regardless of score and others do not give credit unless you achieve a 4 or 5. In the state of GA, if you dual enroll in a school in the state university system and then go to a school in the university system, they are required to take all of those credits. She is entering as a sophomore credit wise as she has completed all of her freshman courses already.
I realize how important AP is. My daughter took her IB exams and waiting for DeSantis to go after those as they are more "liberal" (surprised he hasn't but those programs tend to be in wealthier districts). I'm just wondering if DeSantis eliminates AP testing, how this would affect homeschooled kids. That argument "could be" that if you want to take the class and test, pay for it yourself, but is that feasible? Can someone take the online course and then test independently?
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Funny how similar this is to when students try to transfer to a normal university from an unaccredited religious university their parents pressed them into attending.
Locked Previous topicNext topic