There are so many things I want to do

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I have a feeling that once I am an empty nester, I am going to be just as busy- except I will be busy with fun things. I have toyed on and off with writing workshops, ukulele groups, independent choirs, dance lessons, CrossFit, pool, and learning languages. I just don't have time to continuously commit to any of them. I am currently taking a language class two days a week and by the time I get home, I'm exhausted. My kids are old enough to stay at home but if I did all of the things I want to do, I would literally never be home. I also toy with getting a second job- and if they all go to college, I may need one!

I LOVE being a mom but I do miss enjoying my hobbies!
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Eh, my home will never be completely empty - but, now that it is as much as it will ever be, I don’t feel like I have any more time than I ever did. 🤷‍♀️
Heyteacher
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

My hubby is talking retiring in 7 years when the youngest heads to college. He wants to sell the house and buy a 5th wheel to tour the continent with. We shall see.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Literally never being home would be torture to me. I love being home. I have 2 kids grown and out with 2 more to go! I don't work and DH is fully retiring in 12 years at age 55. Can't wait!
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Unless I meet a rich sugar, daddy, I don’t think I’m retiring anytime soon
Anonymous 3

Unread post

As a homeschool mom whose kids are getting older dh and I have been talking about what I'm going to do after they graduate. I think I'm going to focus on a big garden, canning, and raising chickens for eggs. Maybe I'll have a road side produce stand.
But I'll probably just turn into a hermit.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

I'm facing that right now and it's overwhelming! There are days that are full on excitement and joy and ones that I just cry. I know I'll figure out my path but gosh it's hard.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Are there some things you can start now? I understand not wanting to be gone all of the time, but if you want to take up a couple of activities, it wouldn’t take over all of your time. My kids are 2-12, so I’m far from having all of the kids out of the house, but my husband and I both have our own things that we do. My husband is on a soccer team, in a climbing club, and in a book club. I volunteer at a local museum, am in a running group, and go to a game night. Plus we do other activities with friends. We make sure that the time that we spend with our kids is quality and on a regular basis. I am a mom, but I’m also my own person, so I don’t feel guilty not being with my kids every moment after work/school.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:26 pm Are there some things you can start now? I understand not wanting to be gone all of the time, but if you want to take up a couple of activities, it wouldn’t take over all of your time. My kids are 2-12, so I’m far from having all of the kids out of the house, but my husband and I both have our own things that we do. My husband is on a soccer team, in a climbing club, and in a book club. I volunteer at a local museum, am in a running group, and go to a game night. Plus we do other activities with friends. We make sure that the time that we spend with our kids is quality and on a regular basis. I am a mom, but I’m also my own person, so I don’t feel guilty not being with my kids every moment after work/school.
Aside from working full time and then some, I am taking Spanish two nights a week and although it is doable, it's hard. I leave for work around 8:15 and get home at 7:30, yawning all through class. I do make time for the gym 4-5 days per week. Once or twice a month, my husband and I go play pool on the weekends after dinner. I don't feel guilty, I'm just exhausted.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:36 pm I'm facing that right now and it's overwhelming! There are days that are full on excitement and joy and ones that I just cry. I know I'll figure out my path but gosh it's hard.
I get that. I feel very scared and sad when I think about my kids moving out. I'm also excited for them to start their adult lives but it's just overwhelming.
Locked Previous topicNext topic