Why are people still stupid enough to wash chicken?

Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:05 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:59 pm Because it used to be taught…

Younger people don’t because it’s not taught anymore…
It used to be taught that blood is blue in the body and that babies can't feel pain, that doesn't mean we should still believe just because it was taught 🙄
It’s like a quarter of adults over 45 that still think some blood is blue and that sugar makes it so infants can’t feel pain anymore…

It’s hard for people to realize some things they were taught as kids isn’t true… and other people just didn’t learn the new information.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

newyearnewring wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:56 pm Yeah, I go back and forth, too. Depending on the recipe, I do feel like washed chicken, or chicken bathed in a salt bath, has a better texture. For sure, when I cook pork, it always turns out too dry unless I do a quick brine.

But it does seem like people are washing their chicken because they think it is somehow more sanitary which is just not true. And have you seen the people who use actual soap?

Now, unless you are making sticky rice...wash your rice! I never really liked rice until I started washing it.
I wonder if it's the type of rice you're buying. I don't wash my rice and don't have any issues but I never buy enriched rice either. I've seen videos where people wash rice to show how gross it is but when I try it the water is completely clear.
There's definitely a difference in types of rice. I bought some uncle Ben's brown rice the other day because I couldn't find the organic rice I usually buy and not only did it look like plastic it completely jammed my grain mill that I've put so much through. We had to completely disassemble the thing to get it working again.
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I do not but can understand why some people erroneously feel it's necessary, so I wouldn't call them stupid. Misinformed, maybe.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I don’t really care how other people cook their food and I’m not aware of a lot of people getting sick from washing chicken.

So it’s whatever the cook prefers.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I'm wondering if it's a regional / cultural thing. I'm late 40's and I was never taught to wash my meat before cooking it. I never heard of washing meat until I came to the internet (honestly I probably first heard of this washing chicken thing on CafeMom).

So yeah, the whole thing seems weird to me. But if it's what you were raised with and have always done - old habits die hard.

On a side note, I do Hello Fresh on a regular basis and their instructions are pretty specific. Anytime there is chicken or pork it never says to wash it or rinse it. It does say to take it out of the package and pat dry with paper towels. Then you continue with seasoning or whatever else the recipe calls for. I believe the "pat dry" is so that the seasonings and such will stick to the meat better.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I generally never cook or eat it. As good as it is for you, I don’t really like it - but I never wash it if I do.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I don’t wash chicken but i also admit if someone wants to do it that’s their business not mine. Given problems with Covid and flu I’m not sure washing chicken is that big of a deal. I would recommend you wash your chopping board after you cut meat on it though.
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

Back in the day, people were taught to wash especially poultry but today, many of us have learned differently.

To refer to those who still might do this as "stupid" is...well.... stupid in and of itself, however, and shows that you don't understand old customs or care to.

"Washing Food: Does it Promote Food Safety? | Food Safety and Inspection Service" https://fsis-dev.fsis.usda.gov/food-saf ... omote-food
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Well, many people learn their cooking habits from previous generations. Some people still add oil to their pasta water or rinse it after cooking it, 2 big no-nos. And there was a time when it was thought rinsing meat or chicken was better and more sanitary. We know better now and as a chef I can tell you that you never rinse chicken.
But hey, if someone is ser on doing it, that’s their business.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Gosh I hate dealing with raw or cooked meat but deal because I love my eat eater friends and family members. I never washed meat until I moved to a developing country where you had to unless you like wood shared in your pork roast, lol. I wonder if that's why the practice has passed down generationally despite it having no benefit and can actually be harmful?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Locked Previous topicNext topic