How would you handle this?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

There is a panhandler that stands outside of my work sometimes. He is an adult and has Down Syndrome.

He told me his Mom makes him stand outside and beg for money. But I am unable to get any type of info on him like his name or anything.

When we call the police, the only thing they do is tell him to leave. They don't do anything like get his name or anything.

I want to call Adult Protective Services but I've never called them before and without a name can they really do anything?

He usually runs away when he sees the police coming but they have approached him and told him to leave several times. He just keeps coming back cause his Mom makes him.

I feel like he's being manipulated and his Mom is putting him in danger. When he is told to get off our property he goes to the gas stations across the street and I have seen kids picking on him before. His Mom just drops him off and drives away so she isn't even there to help if something happened.
newyearnewring
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I think if you tell them where he hangs out on the corner, they can track him down. I would probably call. If he is being taken advantage of, that's horrible. If this is the only way they can make money, it seems like APS would be able to hook them up for services so that he doesn't have to do that. It is possible that mom could be developmentally delayed or something else and doesn't know that there is help out there for her- or it's possible that she's just a POS.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I would call and ask APS for their advice at least. It does sound like he’s being manipulated and put into some kind of danger. Who knows what some idiot teenage kid might decide to do to him? Another homeless person could hurt him. Or say one day he decides he’s had enough bullying and he hurts someone? People with Down’s often are kind but that doesn’t mean they can’t get fed up and angry.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I’d call APS and report it. You may not have much information, but you have enough to get things started on getting him help. They may advise you to call them when he’s at the property again or depending on your state/city may take the steps to work with law enforcement.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I would still call APS and give them the info you have. Then it's on them to decide how to proceed.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:17 pm There is a panhandler that stands outside of my work sometimes.
His Mom just drops him off and drives away so she isn't even there to help if something happened.
Does your place of work happen to have a security camera that might get the car license plate?
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Call APS. Because he's there every day they can send a social worker to the location.

I'm really upset that the police haven't contacted APS instead of just chasing him off. Upset but not surprised.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I might stop and chat and casually ask him his name. "Hey sweetie, I've been seeing you out here for 6 months and we've never really met! I'm Valentina Rigoletto - what's your name?" Just something low key.

If you can get that, APS might be able to search for him and where he lives to do a wellness check. Just a thought to give them a bit more to go on.

Good luck with however you end up handling this, and I hope the kid is ok.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Locked Previous topicNext topic