The Truth About Death ; It doesn’t exist

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:54 am I am not familiar with the author, but I do believe that conscious energy c evolved around the time of the Big Bang and that we “live” many lives not necessarily just as humans on earth. I think “souls” traveled the cosmos but were very limited on experiencing the cosmos fully as our consciousness could only observe. That ancient lineages of hominins were our early attempts for this planet. I believe that human ideas of gods, death, afterlife are all part of mechanisms in our conscious energy to fully experience and learn during a current existence as well as prevent us from total insanity.
Enjoy your beliefs!

Out of interest, do you have any testable predictions based upon them?
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Experimental Realization of Wheeler's Delayed-Choice Gedanken Experiment
by VINCENT JACQUES, E WU, FRÉDÉRIC GROSSHANS, FRANÇOIS TREUSSART, PHILIPPE GRANGIER, ALAIN ASPECT, AND JEAN-FRANÇOIS ROCH
16 Feb 2007
Vol 315, Issue 5814
pp. 966-968
DOI: 10.1126/science.1136303
https://www.science.org/doi/abs/10.1126/science.1136303

Certainly an impressive achievement in experimental physics, but it doesn't mean what you think it means BobCobbMagob.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:26 am
Baconqueen13 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:15 am The idea is stupid and shows a piss poor understanding of scientific principles. If one wants to believe that consciousness is eternal then fine, whatever, but don't try to use a poor understanding of scientific principles to push it. I'm not mad I saw the post. I do find issue with you trying to pass it off as "News" when it's just an Advertisement
Lol yes… I’m sure your higher levels of understanding the nature of science and consciousness far outweighs the scientists that were published in Science magazine
If you read Roch's paper carefully, you may notice that it doesn't in any way endorse the theories about the nature of consciousness referred to in the science fiction story.

Non-physicists reading about QM interpretations involving observers collapsing states need to be aware that this is a minefield where they should treat carefully.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I do remember that movie vaguely. I think Benico del Toro was in it as well. I do believe you’re correct that it is a reference to the weight lost at death as the soul leaves the body. I had forgotten about that movie until you mentioned it, lol.
cgd5112 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:06 pm Remember the movie with Sean Penn called 21 grams? It referred to the wright one loses immediately upon dying. I think it implied the weight of the soul or energy lost ...
Quorra2.0 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:33 pm
cgd5112 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:25 pm I remember a really bad movie back in the 70s called Beyond and Back. One scene showed a guy taking a picture of the soul leaving the body. It went on to say that a soul has weight and some other stuff I can not remember.

An interesting thing us if the energy that leaves the bidy carries consciousness or whether we come from nothing and return to nothing conscious wise. John Danaher and I think Sam Harris call these the first and second deaths.
There was an episode of “Evil” in which there was an experiment in which they were trying to determine the weight of the soul or something like that. I was working on a project so only half paying attention, lol.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Aletheia wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:45 am
by VINCENT JACQUES, E WU, FRÉDÉRIC GROSSHANS, FRANÇOIS TREUSSART, PHILIPPE GRANGIER, ALAIN ASPECT, AND JEAN-FRANÇOIS ROCH
16 Feb 2007
Vol 315, Issue 5814
pp. 966-968

Certainly an impressive achievement in experimental physics, but it doesn't mean what you think it means BobCobbMagob.
Oh save it… all I posted was the text and said it’s interesting. I’m just not in the mood today…
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:43 am
16 Feb 2007
Vol 315, Issue 5814
pp. 966-968

Oh save it… all I posted was the text and said it’s interesting. I’m just not in the mood today…
You did a bit more than just post it. You also attacked Baconqueen13's scientific knowledge.

One of the nice things about science is that one never has to resort to "I'm more qualified than you are, so you'll just have to trust my word". Someone making an incorrect claim may not understand the rebuttal, but the person rebutting the claim can always point them towards the resources they'd need to read in order to understand it, and which they've got equal access to if they're willing to put the time into understanding them.

I've spent a fair amount of time providing proper reliable references that back up what Baconqueen said. It is now over to you, either to graciously admit you were wrong (which, fair enough, that happens to all of us from time to time) or point out something specific that you disagree with in the original academic papers or that you think has not been properly addressed.

I'm willing to go into as much detail as you are willing to spend time reading.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Aletheia wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:21 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:43 am

16 Feb 2007
Vol 315, Issue 5814
pp. 966-968

You did a bit more than just post it. You also attacked Baconqueen13's scientific knowledge.

One of the nice things about science is that one never has to resort to "I'm more qualified than you are, so you'll just have to trust my word". Someone making an incorrect claim may not understand the rebuttal, but the person rebutting the claim can always point them towards the resources they'd need to read in order to understand it, and which they've got equal access to if they're willing to put the time into understanding them.

I've spent a fair amount of time providing proper reliable references that back up what Baconqueen said. It is now over to you, either to graciously admit you were wrong (which, fair enough, that happens to all of us from time to time) or point out something specific that you disagree with in the original academic papers or that you think has not been properly addressed.

I'm willing to go into as much detail as you are willing to spend time reading.
Wrong about what? I told her to be willing to have a conversation about new ideas that might turn out to be more philosophical…when she argued with the intelligence behind it I told her great… go tell someone else…

You can go ahead and talk about anything you would like, just as everyone else besides bacon did…
Locked Previous topicNext topic