Los Angeles school workers will go on a 3-day strike

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/03/21/us/l ... index.html

The demands and the offers

Members of the Los Angeles schools' support workers union said they want:

• A 30% pay raise, plus an additional $2 an hour over next four years

• Increased employment hours for part-time workers

The latest offers announced by the Los Angeles school district on Monday included:

• A 23% recurring pay increase, plus a 3% cash-in-hand bonus

• A $20-an-hour minimum wage

• Full health care benefits for those working at least four hours a day
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Looks like you posted twice and changed the story.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:17 am Looks like you posted twice and changed the story.
Lol It did post twice … so I edited one to be a different story.

Would you rather have two postings up of the same story, or do you think it’s better to have two different stories in two different posts?
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

The union wants "equitable wage increases, more full-time work, respectful treatment, and increased staffing levels for improved student services," it said. Workers' average salary is $25,000 a year, and most work part-time -- which has led to staffing shortages, the union said.

I don't see an issue.

Average Home Price in LA
$946,697

Average Monthly Rent in LA
$2,786

Energy
$194.33

Median Household Income
$69,778

So what is a good annual salary for a single person in California? Using living wage data, you could assume that $45,385 in annual pay would be a good salary for a single person with no children.
https://www.sofi.com/learn/content/what ... 20workweek.

They are asking the BARE minimum to establish a living wage....actually a little less if they're only asking for $20 an hour.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:27 am The union wants "equitable wage increases, more full-time work, respectful treatment, and increased staffing levels for improved student services," it said. Workers' average salary is $25,000 a year, and most work part-time -- which has led to staffing shortages, the union said.

I don't see an issue.

Average Home Price in LA
$946,697

Average Monthly Rent in LA
$2,786

Energy
$194.33

Median Household Income
$69,778

So what is a good annual salary for a single person in California? Using living wage data, you could assume that $45,385 in annual pay would be a good salary for a single person with no children.
https://www.sofi.com/learn/content/what ... 20workweek.

They are asking the BARE minimum to establish a living wage....actually a little less if they're only asking for $20 an hour.
I would even argue that 45k isn’t a living wage in LA. On apartments.com I don’t see a single thing listed below $1300, the large majority being 2000+. I have three friends who live in LA. Two are a couple with a child and pay $2800 for a 650 square foot two bedroom and the other pays $1400 for a 250 square foot studio. That’s right, 250 square ft, come with a mini fridge and two burner stovetop. Wi-Fi and parking not included in rent. And these are both meh buildings in meh parts of town, no fancy amenities and they aren’t in super desirable locations.

Does that mean there’s nothing anyone can do to live off of 45k? No. But if you ask a young single person out of college if they want to be a teacher in LA and have to either get three roommates, a second job, or move into an apartment where there’s rats, floors falling apart, and break ins on a regular basis or if they want to change careers or move somewhere that they can afford to live independently and safely, which one are they going to do? If LA wants to keep their teachers, they need to start investing in them.
newyearnewring
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I wonder what the 23% looks like compared to the 30%. An additional $2 per hour for a 40 hour work week (180 days per year) equals to a little less than $15K. Spread out over 4 years, that is $3600 a year. When I was teaching, our yearly raise was about $200.

My former co workers often ask me what it would take to get me back in the classroom but honestly, there is nothing. You could pay me a million dollars an hour, money wasn't the issue. But for some teachers, it is. I have a friend who had no choice but to go into administration because teaching simply doesn't pay enough. She was a fantastic, life-changing educator. It's not always about giving people what they deserve; at this point, it is just about being able to retain talent.
Locked Previous topicNext topic