I swear I work with children

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I'm the only female in the office. I order office supplies and call in repair techs when we need them. This is a minor part of my job and seemed to be dumped on me when I became the only female in the building.

Each person/department uses different supplies and most are kept in each person's office, not in a centralized area so there's no way for one person to keep an eye on them. Last Monday I told everyone personally I was putting in a supplies order that afternoon so let me know it's you're low on anything. I ordered what I knew was low, asked again and was told everyone was fine. Tuesday I'm told someone is completely out of white file folders, Wednesday I'm told that a department just put in their last roll of thermal paper (I order them 30 at a time), Thursday someone was out of black printer ink. Today I come into work and the central printer isn't working. One of the managers is losing his shit because he doesn't want everything rerouted to his printer (my only option) and why can't the service tech get here NOW (because it doesn't work that way, dude). And another employee just came into my office asking when the printer would be fixed and then mentions it did something weird 3 times last week. I then go and ask the department who uses the printer most often and they tell me it's been doing funny things for a couple weeks. So, the main printer that you all depend on has been acting funny for 2 flipping WEEKS and not one person thought to mention it to the person who can put in a service call (well, any of them can, the number's on the damn printer...) Just wait for it to completely die and then make it an emergency.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I get to be the computer repair person. Not because I’m female but because I’m the only one that apparently knows how to Google. I hate to go there but my boss is a Boomer. He had to be dragged into the 21st century. So yeah I get to be the guru of anything technical.
newyearnewring
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

That's ridiculous. They need a different procedure/system for supplies, then. I like my office and coworkers but the dudes in the office tend to be the messiest and leave their coffee cups and shit lying around. Plus, no one else seems to be able to make a decent pot of coffee so I make two pots of coffee per day even though I am not a receptionist/assistant, nothing like that.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Totally stereotyping — but this is the classic: males not owning their sh*t because some female has taken these types of tasks their whole life.

So irritating.
newyearnewring
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:45 am I get to be the computer repair person. Not because I’m female but because I’m the only one that apparently knows how to Google. I hate to go there but my boss is a Boomer. He had to be dragged into the 21st century. So yeah I get to be the guru of anything technical.
Same! Everyone thinks I'm so technically advanced, even the 24 year old. I keep thinking she should know more than me...but we were at least taught some things about computers. Kids these days just learn about phones. I have to google and guess at everything, I barely know how the internet works.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

newyearnewring wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:05 pm
Pjmm wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:45 am I get to be the computer repair person. Not because I’m female but because I’m the only one that apparently knows how to Google. I hate to go there but my boss is a Boomer. He had to be dragged into the 21st century. So yeah I get to be the guru of anything technical.
Same! Everyone thinks I'm so technically advanced, even the 24 year old. I keep thinking she should know more than me...but we were at least taught some things about computers. Kids these days just learn about phones. I have to google and guess at everything, I barely know how the internet works.
My sons know Microsoft office, Zoom, and all the educational platforms. They know the Internet probably because they used it during Covid for classes. As far as actual hardware and software they don’t. They know as much as I do. The funny thing is at one point my oldest worked for my company a bit. I had to show him how to use a landline. He never had.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

There’s a guy I work with who is the same way. I’m actually currently in an HR thing to document his incompetency. He does his job fine as long as everything goes exactly as it should, but any bump in the road and he has no clue how to function. He has zero common sense and thinks everything should just be done for him. He has actually the same role as my husband for the same company, just a different division, so I am very aware of what his responsibilities are supposed to be. I can’t tell you how many times a week he will expect others to do things that are his job and act like they are the detriment if they say no or throw a literal tantrum if someone doesn’t fix something that he is perfectly capable of fixing himself.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:03 pm Totally stereotyping — but this is the classic: males not owning their sh*t because some female has taken these types of tasks their whole life.

So irritating.
Had I known 8 years ago when I started here what I know now I would have done things differently. My one co-worker has been divorced twice and dumped countless times and I've totally figured out why. If I do anything for him ONCE, just once, he takes that to mean that it's now my job. I used to be a nice person and perform tasks for him when I knew he was busy but that stopped when these favours started turning into something I was now expected to do by him. And our manager is such a boob who has no idea what's going on in the office he'd just agree with his male counterpart that it was better being my job (because then it got done - who cares which person does it, right?) So now, I don't care how busy he is or how it affects our customers...I'm not doing it. I finally figured out he uses weaponized incompetence to get people to do his work for him (and he makes 3x what I do). Most of the men here seem to use it to some degree and it's F***ing infuriating.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I work in IT and I've been there. Not to be stereotypical but thats how it is when you work with a lot of men. It's not as much catty drama but they act like kids.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Ugh, men. I know this is not PC but it totally relates to moms who kept favorite drinks stocked in the fridge and those who had to fend for themselves. Moms destroy men when it comes to keeping stock.
Locked Previous topicNext topic