Florida bill defines drag shows as ‘serious danger to public health & safety’ for kids

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:05 pm That’s the thing: No.
The bill is talking about live shows that have a strong sexual content and therefore considered “adult live performances”. This has nothing to do with transgenderism, but because the bill was a response to a drag show that announced itself as a family event and yet had strong sexual content, progressives are making it about that. But this show was also banned for kids in Missouri, also had backlash in Tennessee and in Texas. This isn’t a Floridian war against transgenderism.
SouthernIslander wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:59 pm Just to make sure I am clear…

Based on this bill, if a restaurant hosted a drag Queen show where the participants are impersonating celebrities wearing ballroom gowns.

Would that be considered illegal and the business can lose their license?

I get both sides of the debate but I wasn’t sure if it’s drag shows in general or drag shows with adult content.
Thanks! I wanted to clarify before giving my long ass opinion.

Oh and Sally, Bacon, Flo,Wellsare free to quote me if they disagree with what I am saying because I genuinely want opinions different than mine.

But to me, this is another both sides poking the bear problem. The problem I have with the bill, it was confusing to me because it’s worded in a way that is trolling the trans community instead of a general statement about adult content. You (general) can’t do that and expect not to be called a homophobe.

But on the other hand, “Screwdolph the nipple deer man” is an adult title and as a host you are responsible to make sure the content is age appropriate. That’s something the law shouldn’t have to tell an adult IMHO. You can’t name stuff like that that to push the envelope and wonder why you’re getting backlash.

I also understand that we want to be open minded but I have been involved with the mental health community a lot this last year and there are valid concerns in terms of what a child is exposed to and the development of their mental health.

We need to have those conversations in a manner that is respectful. Not calling people’s stuff “fake genitals” and acting like people are wrong for having an issue with exposing kids to skits with racy titles.

Both extremes are wrong IMHO and there needs to be a more reasonable base representing both the straight and LGBT communities.

But I agree with y’all on the title of that skit. Straight or gay..it’s inappropriate.

Am I being fair?
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:14 pm There's nothing in the bill about people dressed as the opposite gender... There's plenty of truly culturally relevant shows where that happens like Japanese Kabuki, that's all still fine...

Its the sexually explicit shows that aren't allowed to have kids there.

Based on this bill, if a restaurant hosted a drag Queen show where the participants are impersonating celebrities wearing ballroom gowns.

I get both sides of the debate but I wasn’t sure if it’s drag shows in general or drag shows with adult content.
Thanks. I don’t want to retype my long response but I just responded to Mom.

I kinda see where both sides are coming from but I’m open to feedback.

I don’t like the way this bill is worded but I agree with you on the screwdolph. That is a bit much.
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:14 pm It’s about live events… you keep bringing up movies as though that would have relevance here…if your kid wants to watch Ru Paul’s drag race have at it… but there were no kids in Richard Pryor’s audience… in any of his specials.

There’s been laws about which live events kids can attend, forever… concerts that have been 18 and over, rules for 21+ over club attendance, comedy club attendance, bar entry….you can go ahead and buy movies of all of the above and show it to your kids, they just can’t go.

You’re literally starting a culture war where there doesn’t need to be one.
First of all, raunch is raunch, and if you are suggesting that seeing it live is somehow more harmful to children than seeing it in a movie, then how exactly?

Secondly, the legislators in Florida are the ones doing it, by making this highly unnecessary law that is intended to target venues that host drag, along with many other attacks on transgenderism - making a huge deal about everything from their bathrooms to their pronouns to their medical care to their sports participation, and always, how They Are Coming For Your Kids! Raunchy drag shows are NOT a 'serious danger to public health & safety'. That's the panic.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:35 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:14 pm There's nothing in the bill about people dressed as the opposite gender... There's plenty of truly culturally relevant shows where that happens like Japanese Kabuki, that's all still fine...

Its the sexually explicit shows that aren't allowed to have kids there.

Thanks. I don’t want to retype my long response but I just responded to Mom.

I kinda see where both sides are coming from but I’m open to feedback.

I don’t like the way this bill is worded but I agree with you on the screwdolph. That is a bit much.
I would fully be willing to say let’s allow any show, drag or not to be performed for kids if it’s not heavy-sexually laden…

We should be making sure that Trans people are not targeted and reword anything that even alludes to them being a target.

But let’s not twist kids’s rights and sexual themes together… that’s not ok.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:39 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:14 pm It’s about live events… you keep bringing up movies as though that would have relevance here…if your kid wants to watch Ru Paul’s drag race have at it… but there were no kids in Richard Pryor’s audience… in any of his specials.

There’s been laws about which live events kids can attend, forever… concerts that have been 18 and over, rules for 21+ over club attendance, comedy club attendance, bar entry….you can go ahead and buy movies of all of the above and show it to your kids, they just can’t go.

You’re literally starting a culture war where there doesn’t need to be one.
First of all, raunch is raunch, and if you are suggesting that seeing it live is somehow more harmful to children than seeing it in a movie, then how exactly?

Secondly, the legislators in Florida are the ones doing it, by making this highly unnecessary law that is intended to target venues that host drag, along with many other attacks on transgenderism - making a huge deal about everything from their bathrooms to their pronouns to their medical care to their sports participation, and always, how They Are Coming For Your Kids! Raunchy drag shows are NOT a 'serious danger to public health & safety'. That's the panic.
I’m definitely saying that live shows give a different experience than watching it on tv… for sure.

What you are exposed to is different, who you are exposed to is different, the level of inebriated strangers you are exposed to is different, the level of conversation is different…. Why do you think kids aren’t allowed to go to Nightclubs? Do you think those rules are too strict?
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:46 pm
SallyMae wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:39 pm First of all, raunch is raunch, and if you are suggesting that seeing it live is somehow more harmful to children than seeing it in a movie, then how exactly?

I’m definitely saying that live shows give a different experience than watching it on tv… for sure.

What you are exposed to is different, who you are exposed to is different, the level of inebriated strangers you are exposed to is different, the level of conversation is different…. Why do you think kids aren’t allowed to go to Nightclubs? Do you think those rules are too strict?
I'm still not hearing how this is so much worse than National Lampoon that we need a new law closing down venues. Ambiance is not an emergency.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:10 pm
SallyMae wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:39 pm First of all, raunch is raunch, and if you are suggesting that seeing it live is somehow more harmful to children than seeing it in a movie, then how exactly?

I'm still not hearing how this is so much worse than National Lampoon that we need a new law closing down venues. Ambiance is not an emergency.
Whether you agree or not…Do you understand why we made laws that don’t allow kids into nightclubs?
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:32 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:05 pm That’s the thing: No.
The bill is talking about live shows that have a strong sexual content and therefore considered “adult live performances”. This has nothing to do with transgenderism, but because the bill was a response to a drag show that announced itself as a family event and yet had strong sexual content, progressives are making it about that. But this show was also banned for kids in Missouri, also had backlash in Tennessee and in Texas. This isn’t a Floridian war against transgenderism.

Thanks! I wanted to clarify before giving my long ass opinion.

Oh and Sally, Bacon, Flo,Wellsare free to quote me if they disagree with what I am saying because I genuinely want opinions different than mine.

But to me, this is another both sides poking the bear problem. The problem I have with the bill, it was confusing to me because it’s worded in a way that is trolling the trans community instead of a general statement about adult content. You (general) can’t do that and expect not to be called a homophobe.

But on the other hand, “Screwdolph the nipple deer man” is an adult title and as a host you are responsible to make sure the content is age appropriate. That’s something the law shouldn’t have to tell an adult IMHO. You can’t name stuff like that that to push the envelope and wonder why you’re getting backlash.

I also understand that we want to be open minded but I have been involved with the mental health community a lot this last year and there are valid concerns in terms of what a child is exposed to and the development of their mental health.

We need to have those conversations in a manner that is respectful. Not calling people’s stuff “fake genitals” and acting like people are wrong for having an issue with exposing kids to skits with racy titles.

Both extremes are wrong IMHO and there needs to be a more reasonable base representing both the straight and LGBT communities.

But I agree with y’all on the title of that skit. Straight or gay..it’s inappropriate.

Am I being fair?
I agree with most of what you stated and despite being generally okay with my kids seeing shows and films with sexual content when they were younger, I do find the content of the show posted as inappropriate for children. This was an event that was promoted as an "R rated" event, not recommended for children, and anyone under 18 must be accompanied by an adult but still out of 100s of attendees, several brought their children. DeSantis is trying basically trying to change the definition of adult entertainment (X-rated) when it comes specifically to Drag Shows and I think it's disingenuous for some to claim not all drag shows. With this Bill, venues, not performers or organizers, will be fined and with the vagueness of language in the Bill, what venue will host any drag show?

My other problem is DeSantis is basically saying that parents should not be trusted when it comes to their children (specifically drag shows) so Florida will step in and make those decisions for them. I find this a super slippery slope and while DeSantis can argue all day long that he for "parental rights" this ain't it.

I agree that children exposed to erotica can be harming to their mental health but wonder why DeSantis isn't changing rating for any other kind of entertainment or medium and making exceptions for certain live performances - "taken as a whole is without serious literary, artistic, political, or scientific value for the age of the child present?" So raunchy Shakespeare is okay but rauncy drag queens isn't? Where would Madonna masturbating on stage fall on the "raunchy" spectrum or on the artistic spectrum? That is what I mean about vague language.

I've been to a number of drag shows, some kid friendly and some not and the ones that weren't kid friendly got really bawdy, lol. But in almost all the drag shows I've been to, many of the performers were wearing prosthetic breasts so this language in the Bill also concerned me: "lewd exposure of prosthetic or imitation genital or breasts." Lewdness is really subjective and what about breasts that aren't prosthetic? Yup, this is targeting drag shows.

Also, if he is so concerned with protecting children's health and safety, why isn't there equal conversation around guns and violence which harms far more children than drag shows?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:32 pm

Whether you agree or not…Do you understand why we made laws that don’t allow kids into nightclubs?
I understand it perfectly, and I also understand that it's pretty F***ing arbitrary - I think it's way more harmful to kids to be exposed to inebriated adults in the home, at Super Bowl parties, at backyard barbecues, at every wedding and birthday and holiday, every weekend in front of the TV etc. That is so common and so harmful it would really save lives if we had laws going after that, instead of new rules which focus on extremely narrow circumstances - three kids at one drag show.

But, I understand that the choice to get drunk in front of kids is a matter of privacy and personal liberty, also protected as self-determination. So I don't think we should be making laws about it, any more than we need laws to save the children from inappropriate drag routines.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:00 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:32 pm

I understand it perfectly, and I also understand that it's pretty F***ing arbitrary - I think it's way more harmful to kids to be exposed to inebriated adults in the home, at Super Bowl parties, at backyard barbecues, at every wedding and birthday and holiday, every weekend in front of the TV etc. That is so common and so harmful it would really save lives if we had laws going after that, instead of new rules which focus on extremely narrow circumstances - three kids at one drag show.

But, I understand that the choice to get drunk in front of kids is a matter of privacy and personal liberty, also protected as self-determination. So I don't think we should be making laws about it, any more than we need laws to save the children from inappropriate drag routines.
Ok… so you do think it’s a problem when adults are drunk around kids at a Super Bowl party, but you don’t see a problem with adults drunk around kids at a nightclub?

Or you think both are wrong?
Locked Previous topicNext topic