Florida bill defines drag shows as ‘serious danger to public health & safety’ for kids

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Welcome to the United States of America… where plenty of states require a curtain or separate area of those shops that kids aren’t allowed into…for decades now we’ve had those rules. Video stores had them too… remember those barrier doors that looked like saloon doors?

We’ve always had rules like this.

Kids can’t go to bars, kids can’t go to nightclubs… we have some adults only places.
Baconqueen13 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:31 am No one here is advocating for kids to attend an adult based drag show either. What IS being said that it's up to parents, and let's face it we are not talking about a 4 year old being able to attend an adult themed drag show....but a 17 year old may be more permissible....again UP TO THE PARENTS.

We never argued about this before because people weren't trying to legislate it and punish the artists for the decisions made by the parents.

'How many malls have stores like "Spencer's Gifts" you know that store SELLS vibrators and dildos as well as a variety of other sexually explicit items? Is Florida trying to ban Spencer's from malls or arresting parents that take their kids in the stores? No.

BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:20 am I didn’t twist anything… I posted the headline and the second sentence.

The article’s writer twisted shit not me…

And now, you’re twisting shit… not me. I said drag shows have been around forever. We were not advocating for kids to attend before this.

Wearing the clothing of the opposite gender is not what drag means. Every transgendered person or non-binary person dressed normally is not dressed up in drag. That was the definition of those who were trying to force gender norms onto people… not actual allies.

Kids aren’t fighting for their rights to dress up in drag. They’re fighting for their right to dress in the clothing they find most comfortable.

Stop putting this adult vs. adult bullshit onto kids and pretending that you’re helping them… you’re not.

Baconqueen13 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:12 am You sure like to twist shit...

From the article on "Screwdolph and the blushed nipples"

"Admission is limited to patrons 18 years of age or over, unless accompanied by a parent," reads a warning on the Fort Lauderdale event page. The Miami New Times reports the show contains off-color bits like "T*** in a Box" and "Screwdolph the Red-Nippled Reindeer."

This specifically states it is an ADULT show...and the drag show was not intended for minors. THUS ALL BLAME BELONGS TO THE PARENTS. The law in question would punish entertainers (even adult entertainers) for parents bringing their kids to the venue...Yet they are only doing this for ADULT themed Drag shows (not all drag is adult themed and those that are have age limits like the screwdolph show) . You think they will be enforcing this in regards to spring break or mardi gras activities? NO.

Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Spencer's doesn't have anything behind a curtain or in a separated area.

BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:37 am Welcome to the United States of America… where plenty of states require a curtain or separate are of those shops that kids aren’t allowed into…for decades now we’ve had those rules. Video stores had them too… remember those barrier doors that looked like saloon doors?

Kids can’t go to bars, kids can’t go to nightclubs… we have some adults only places.
Baconqueen13 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:31 am No one here is advocating for kids to attend an adult based drag show either. What IS being said that it's up to parents, and let's face it we are not talking about a 4 year old being able to attend an adult themed drag show....but a 17 year old may be more permissible....again UP TO THE PARENTS.

We never argued about this before because people weren't trying to legislate it and punish the artists for the decisions made by the parents.

'How many malls have stores like "Spencer's Gifts" you know that store SELLS vibrators and dildos as well as a variety of other sexually explicit items? Is Florida trying to ban Spencer's from malls or arresting parents that take their kids in the stores? No.

BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:20 am I didn’t twist anything… I posted the headline and the second sentence.

The article’s writer twisted shit not me…

And now, you’re twisting shit… not me. I said drag shows have been around forever. We were not advocating for kids to attend before this.

Wearing the clothing of the opposite gender is not what drag means. Every transgendered person or non-binary person dressed normally is not dressed up in drag. That was the definition of those who were trying to force gender norms onto people… not actual allies.

Kids aren’t fighting for their rights to dress up in drag. They’re fighting for their right to dress in the clothing they find most comfortable.

Stop putting this adult vs. adult bullshit onto kids and pretending that you’re helping them… you’re not.

Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Even as a teenager in the San Fernando valley they did…

Now in Arkansas, *looks around*yep… they still do.
Baconqueen13 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:39 am Spencer's doesn't have anything behind a curtain or in a separated area.

BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:37 am Welcome to the United States of America… where plenty of states require a curtain or separate are of those shops that kids aren’t allowed into…for decades now we’ve had those rules. Video stores had them too… remember those barrier doors that looked like saloon doors?

Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Are you walking through one right now or just blowing smoke out your ass making shit up because you haven't stepped into one....ever?

BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:40 am Even as a teenager in the San Fernando valley they did…

Baconqueen13 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:39 am Spencer's doesn't have anything behind a curtain or in a separated area.

Deleted User 1990

Unread post

There’s been cities that almost sued Spencer’s for not putting up a barrier soon enough…
https://rapidcityjournal.com/news/city- ... 03286.html

Stop acting like the goal of separating kids from adult sexual pleasures is some new thing…
Baconqueen13 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:53 am Are you walking through one right now or just blowing smoke out your ass making shit up because you haven't stepped into one....ever?

BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:40 am Even as a teenager in the San Fernando valley they did…

Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It's all contrived. Someone notified the Governors office about this show a few months ago and he's been on a bender ever since. It's to rile the base and his followers and more are falling all over it.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Let me flip it for you.

If that's the difference, one kid knows sexuality and the other kid knows how to gun down 18 people in 30 seconds,
I'm going to teach my kids sexuality.

Just because a parent's choices are different from yours doesn't make them wrong.
BobCobbMagob wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:32 pm Then Holy shit you got some seriously different values to a lot of us…

If that’s the difference, one kid knows how to hunt and the other kid knows how to f**k 18 different ways,

I’m going to teach my kids to hunt…

Jesus Christ in hell…
WellPreserved wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:16 pm Things I had no problem with my kids being exposed to:
Nudity, sexual innuendos, sexual content, drag shows, burlesque, overtly sexual movies, subliminally sexual movies, anime, Gay Price parades, Mardi Gras parades, theater, music (those with sexually explicit and those without), basically any kind of performance art, music festivals.

Things I didn't allow my kids to be exposed to:
Gun shows, certain evangelical services, some political rallies, screened R-rated films that had violence, books that were violent, community events that had the likelihood of being violent, films depicting animal violence to include shooting and skinning of animals, shows that depicted violence against a particular group of people unless it was show in a sympathetic way, movies involving in occult.

The above are short lists because like most people, my list is pretty long. Sure, I'm a "liberal" but that doesn't somehow mean that my values or how I raise my children is so far removed from those who are conservative. I would not expect that anyone, including conservatives, deny their children access to those things and events that make me feel uncomfortable than those conservatives should deny my kids to those things that I'm comfortable with.

The drag event in Florida was not billed as a "family friendly" event yet three or less families decided to allow their children to attend. So what? Hundreds if not thousands of families let their children eat at "Hooters" every day and yet while we might roll our eyes, we don't ban Hooters. Collectively, we allow parents to make their own decisions for their children. Florida has decided to take that decision making away from parents. This should make everyone concerned, not just liberals but it seems as if conservatives are okay with it as long as it gets the drag queens.
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Every Spencer’s I’ve been in (and I was actually in one not too long ago getting a gag gift) has not had the S*x toy section barricaded. It’s in the very back of the store, but you can walk right up to it.
I remember going as a teenager into that section.

Oh and kids can go into a bar in Florida as well. But obviously cannot drink.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

There’s the realization between the split…

Some people are suggesting that a life skill of being able to hunt and feed yourself, plus the ability to attend political events that shape the nation is bad… has to be outlawed because kids might shoot everyone then become a terrorist if they learn those life skills and adult knowledge too soon.

Some people are suggesting that allowing kids into sexually heavy live shows is bad… has to be outlawed because kids could be made to feel uncomfortable with a dildo at face level, and it’s a horrible idea to give kids that adult knowledge too soon…

Vote, vote, vote… but on a political level, this is making a lot of people jump ship from the democratic agenda because they’re not behind it.
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:20 pm Let me flip it for you.

If that's the difference, one kid knows sexuality and the other kid knows how to gun down 18 people in 30 seconds,
I'm going to teach my kids sexuality.

Just because a parent's choices are different from yours doesn't make them wrong.
BobCobbMagob wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:32 pm Then Holy shit you got some seriously different values to a lot of us…

If that’s the difference, one kid knows how to hunt and the other kid knows how to f**k 18 different ways,

I’m going to teach my kids to hunt…

Jesus Christ in hell…
WellPreserved wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:16 pm Things I had no problem with my kids being exposed to:
Nudity, sexual innuendos, sexual content, drag shows, burlesque, overtly sexual movies, subliminally sexual movies, anime, Gay Price parades, Mardi Gras parades, theater, music (those with sexually explicit and those without), basically any kind of performance art, music festivals.

Things I didn't allow my kids to be exposed to:
Gun shows, certain evangelical services, some political rallies, screened R-rated films that had violence, books that were violent, community events that had the likelihood of being violent, films depicting animal violence to include shooting and skinning of animals, shows that depicted violence against a particular group of people unless it was show in a sympathetic way, movies involving in occult.

The above are short lists because like most people, my list is pretty long. Sure, I'm a "liberal" but that doesn't somehow mean that my values or how I raise my children is so far removed from those who are conservative. I would not expect that anyone, including conservatives, deny their children access to those things and events that make me feel uncomfortable than those conservatives should deny my kids to those things that I'm comfortable with.

The drag event in Florida was not billed as a "family friendly" event yet three or less families decided to allow their children to attend. So what? Hundreds if not thousands of families let their children eat at "Hooters" every day and yet while we might roll our eyes, we don't ban Hooters. Collectively, we allow parents to make their own decisions for their children. Florida has decided to take that decision making away from parents. This should make everyone concerned, not just liberals but it seems as if conservatives are okay with it as long as it gets the drag queens.
Locked Previous topicNext topic