Florida bill defines drag shows as ‘serious danger to public health & safety’ for kids

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Then Holy shit you got some seriously different values to a lot of us…

If that’s the difference, one kid knows how to hunt and the other kid knows how to f**k 18 different ways,

I’m going to teach my kids to hunt…

Jesus Christ in hell…
WellPreserved wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:16 pm Things I had no problem with my kids being exposed to:
Nudity, sexual innuendos, sexual content, drag shows, burlesque, overtly sexual movies, subliminally sexual movies, anime, Gay Price parades, Mardi Gras parades, theater, music (those with sexually explicit and those without), basically any kind of performance art, music festivals.

Things I didn't allow my kids to be exposed to:
Gun shows, certain evangelical services, some political rallies, screened R-rated films that had violence, books that were violent, community events that had the likelihood of being violent, films depicting animal violence to include shooting and skinning of animals, shows that depicted violence against a particular group of people unless it was show in a sympathetic way, movies involving in occult.

The above are short lists because like most people, my list is pretty long. Sure, I'm a "liberal" but that doesn't somehow mean that my values or how I raise my children is so far removed from those who are conservative. I would not expect that anyone, including conservatives, deny their children access to those things and events that make me feel uncomfortable than those conservatives should deny my kids to those things that I'm comfortable with.

The drag event in Florida was not billed as a "family friendly" event yet three or less families decided to allow their children to attend. So what? Hundreds if not thousands of families let their children eat at "Hooters" every day and yet while we might roll our eyes, we don't ban Hooters. Collectively, we allow parents to make their own decisions for their children. Florida has decided to take that decision making away from parents. This should make everyone concerned, not just liberals but it seems as if conservatives are okay with it as long as it gets the drag queens.
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I think getting offended by this must be almost as exciting as enjoying it. Really gets your imagination going.

BobCobbMagob wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:32 pm Then Holy shit you got some seriously different values to a lot of us…

If that’s the difference, one kid knows how to hunt and the other kid knows how to f**k 18 different ways,

Jesus Christ in hell…
WellPreserved wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:16 pm Things I had no problem with my kids being exposed to:
Nudity, sexual innuendos, sexual content, drag shows, burlesque, overtly sexual movies, subliminally sexual movies, anime, Gay Price parades, Mardi Gras parades, theater, music (those with sexually explicit and those without), basically any kind of performance art, music festivals.

Gun shows, certain evangelical services, some political rallies, screened R-rated films that had violence, books that were violent, community events that had the likelihood of being violent, films depicting animal violence to include shooting and skinning of animals, shows that depicted violence against a particular group of people unless it was show in a sympathetic way, movies involving in occult.

The above are short lists because like most people, my list is pretty long. Sure, I'm a "liberal" but that doesn't somehow mean that my values or how I raise my children is so far removed from those who are conservative. I would not expect that anyone, including conservatives, deny their children access to those things and events that make me feel uncomfortable than those conservatives should deny my kids to those things that I'm comfortable with.

The drag event in Florida was not billed as a "family friendly" event yet three or less families decided to allow their children to attend. So what? Hundreds if not thousands of families let their children eat at "Hooters" every day and yet while we might roll our eyes, we don't ban Hooters. Collectively, we allow parents to make their own decisions for their children. Florida has decided to take that decision making away from parents. This should make everyone concerned, not just liberals but it seems as if conservatives are okay with it as long as it gets the drag queens.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

That’s your opinion which hurts no one. People can be irrational when you have a different opinion and name call. Homophobic is the irrational fear of homosexuals so it doesn’t even describe you.

I wouldn’t bring my child to see it because of its lack of talent. A bunch of people skipping around, looked boring. I had to go to a few burlesque shows because my sister teaches it. Boring to me.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:40 pm I agree. But let’s face it, for extreme liberals either you’re full on the wagon or you’re against it. There’s no middle ground. I don’t hide the fact that I believe homosexuality to be wrong. But that doesn’t mean that I go around mistreating, lecturing, or criticizing gays or try to take rights away from them. And yet, extreme progressives say I’m “homophobic”. For them, it’s a matter of thinking like them, not about our actions.
As I said, if this hadn’t been a drag show and a woman in a skimpy outfit started dancing with sexually suggestive moves to “Screwdolph, the Red Nippled Deer”, and it would’ve been advertised as a family show, all hell would break loose. But if it’s a drag show, there’s nothing inappropriate about it? 🤷‍♀️
BobCobbMagob wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:18 pm It’s the same reason kids arent allowed in bars… it’s just an adult themed environment.

We can all still be inclusive without needing to feel like we have to blur the line between what is adult entertainment and what isn’t.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:11 pm I didn’t bring up ratings in terms of legality. I brought it up because Sally wondered how are children affected by being exposed to explicit sexual content. Isn’t that why we have ratings? Because we do know it has a negative impact on children and it’s not age appropriate? Whether it’s not illegal and ultimately left up to the parents, that’s another discussion. Many factors come up. For starters, is it legal to expose children to sexual explicit material as long as the parents consent? Or can it be considered a form of sexual abuse? And if so, what’s the limit?

WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:32 pm Then Holy shit you got some seriously different values to a lot of us…

Jesus Christ in hell…

My two kids are now adults.

DD knows how to hunt, DS still can't watch Bambi.

Never asked them how many ways they know how to f**k because that would be really weird.

18 seems low.

Oh, and I'll add beauty pageants to my over-my-dead-body list much to the dismay of my MIL.

I'm really proud of my 20 and 26 year old. Thankfully, watching movies like "Excalibur" instead of "Rambo" didn't screw them up too badly.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Says the one arguing for kids to attend S*x shows…

Different values entirely.
SallyMae wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:53 pm I think getting offended by this must be almost as exciting as enjoying it. Really gets your imagination going.

Jesus Christ in hell…

Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Alright… well … if you’re ever wondering why so many people are walking back from liberalism… it’s this shit right here.

Kids at S*x shows is the wrong leg to try to stand on when attempting to beat out republican policies when it’s the only the two on the table…

It’s this bullshit that is steering people away from believing that actual normal people in the LGBT aren’t coming after their kids with some agenda… and we’re losing ground every election because this crap is mixed up in LGBT rights now….we’re just completely screwing over the future generation because republicans know how to play the political game better…
WellPreserved wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:22 am

Jesus Christ in hell…

Never asked them how many ways they know how to f**k because that would be really weird.

18 seems low.

Oh, and I'll add beauty pageants to my over-my-dead-body list much to the dismay of my MIL.

I'm really proud of my 20 and 26 year old. Thankfully, watching movies like "Excalibur" instead of "Rambo" didn't screw them up too badly.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:41 am Alright… well … if you’re ever wondering why so many people are walking back from liberalism… it’s this shit right here.

Kids at S*x shows is the wrong leg to try to stand on when attempting to beat out republican policies when it’s the only the two on the table…

It’s this bullshit that is steering people away from believing that actual normal people in the LGBT aren’t coming after their kids with some agenda… and we’re losing ground every election because this crap is mixed up in LGBT rights now….we’re just completely screwing over the future generation because republicans know how to play the political game better…

Jesus Christ in hell…

18 seems low.

Moral panic
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

That’s not moral panic.. that’s borderline child abuse.

7 year olds don’t belong around the fuckfest jokes, dildo costumes and nipple blush… and to be honest, it’s literally hard to imagine anyone other than pedophiles arguing any differently…

This has gone WAAAAAYYYYY past inclusion and compassion and has entered into extremely inappropriate venues for children to attend and it’s not helping anyone, especially the next generation live with more freedom. It’s stifling them . They’re now LOSING rights they would have had because the adults around them just can’t find a middle ground…

It’s actually pretty tragic for them.
WellPreserved wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:45 am
BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:41 am Alright… well … if you’re ever wondering why so many people are walking back from liberalism… it’s this shit right here.

18 seems low.

Moral panic
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:40 am Good. Kids aren't allowed at strip shows either. Both entertainers are in the same category.

Drag is, and always has been, adult themed content just like strippers. Kids don't need to see that. There's plenty of other age appropriate entertainment available.
Drag queens are not strippers. I have never been to a show that allowed under 18s where there was any kind of nudity. This comes from people making their opinions out of ignorance.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:27 am
Valentina327 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:40 am Good. Kids aren't allowed at strip shows either. Both entertainers are in the same category.

Drag is, and always has been, adult themed content just like strippers. Kids don't need to see that. There's plenty of other age appropriate entertainment available.
Drag queens are not strippers. I have never been to a show that allowed under 18s where there was any kind of nudity. This comes from people making their opinions out of ignorance.
No it doesn’t… it comes from people who have attended drag shows… last one I went to the one of the performers came and sat at our table and let us all know he had a virgin asshole.

It’s an adult entertainment environment, there’s no way Screwdolph the red nippled reindeer was invented for kids. And if he was that’s an even bigger problem…
It’s not a place for kids to be.
Locked Previous topicNext topic