Where do the guns used in violent crime come from? It's mostly one of two ways, ATF says

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

"Ohio ATF agent Daryl McCormick traces the origins of guns used in crimes, and he said it happens in two ways.

Daryl McCormick, an agent with the Ohio Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, traces the origins of guns used in crimes and he said it happens in two ways.

"Number one, through a licensed dealer," McCormick said. "And number two, from a theft. Which, right away, that's illegal."

According to the ATF, between 2017 to 2021, nearly 79,000 firearms were recovered from crimes across the state.

Around 1,100 of them had been stolen from a homeowner or gun store,
but McCormick said what's troubling is that the vast majority were legally purchased and then given to a criminal."

https://www.wtol.com/article/news/local ... 20a93690f6
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

This is why I have never agreed that stricter gun laws would have no impact on crime because criminals find a way to get a gun either way. It just doesn’t match what I’ve seen in high crime cities.

It’s not street smart to buy a hot gun, knowing you’re gonna commit a crime and nobody wants to go to catch burglary charges over something they didn’t do to make them look worse if caught.

A lot of cases…somewhere in the food chain..a gun was legally purchased and given to the wrong people. It’s a lot easier to get away with it in states who don’t give a shit about gun control.

IMO, that is one of the many reasons why Jackson’s crime rate is consistently higher than Chicago.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

The alphabet agencies carry zero credibility after seeing all of the lies that come from them. Of course they're going to say that, to feed into all of the screeching about "gun control".

Anything the government says, I pretty much believe the opposite of whatever they say after the last few years.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:12 pm This is why I have never agreed that stricter gun laws would have no impact on crime because criminals find a way to get a gun either way. It just doesn’t match what I’ve seen in high crime cities.

It’s not street smart to buy a hot gun, knowing you’re gonna commit a crime and nobody wants to go to catch burglary charges over something they didn’t do to make them look worse if caught.

A lot of cases…somewhere in the food chain..a gun was legally purchased and given to the wrong people. It’s a lot easier to get away with it in states who don’t give a shit about gun control.

IMO, that is one of the many reasons why Jackson’s crime rate is consistently higher than Chicago.
Just curious, do you think if people were held accountable for their gun being used in a crime they would be more careful about it?
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

So bottom line is that guns used in crimes are either obtained legally or illegally…

Interestingly enough, there has only been 1 mass shooter who stated that he thought at the time there was a waiting period for all firearms and that he believed if there had been he wouldn’t have done it. I’m not sure if I find this 100% truthful due to other evidence in his case. I’d be curious what those stats look like with interviews in which the shootings involved a single person or even family members.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:31 pm So bottom line is that guns used in crimes are either obtained legally or illegally…

Interestingly enough, there has only been 1 mass shooter who stated that he thought at the time there was a waiting period for all firearms and that he believed if there had been he wouldn’t have done it. I’m not sure if I find this 100% truthful due to other evidence in his case. I’d be curious what those stats look like with interviews in which the shootings involved a single person or even family members.
And the majority of stolen guns from people were found in their unlocked cars. Facts are we don’t have responsible gun owners. A three year old shot her four year old in the head killing her in their apartment this week. Probably no charges will be filed on the parents.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:25 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:12 pm This is why I have never agreed that stricter gun laws would have no impact on crime because criminals find a way to get a gun either way. It just doesn’t match what I’ve seen in high crime cities.

Just curious, do you think if people were held accountable for their gun being used in a crime they would be more careful about it?
It won’t help in situations when the gun owner feels like the circumstances is worth the charge but I think it will make a difference in instances where that isn’t the case.

For example: I think it would make a difference if MS started giving a serious shit about catching and holding gun traffickers accountable. I always noticed the law is quick to lock up drug dealers for a million years but not the people they bought guns from in large numbers.
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

He has a keen sense of the obvious.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:36 pm He has a keen sense of the obvious.
What is the punishment for making a strawman purchase?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:06 pm
Carpy wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:36 pm He has a keen sense of the obvious.
What is the punishment for making a strawman purchase?
Not a damn thing it appears.
Locked Previous topicNext topic